Christian Conservative Republican homophobia on open display

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by 7stg, Sep 29, 2014.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

You're European? Well that explains it. Round these parts we fuggin dance with rattlesnakes because the holy spirit wont let them harm us. In my experience, the admittedly religious Europeans I've met wouldn't even register on the American Zeal Scale.

They're all young people though. I could see some old European catholics taking it very seriously. But TBH even in USA the Catholics are considered the least radical/hateful of Christian sects--you know, aside from raping little boys.

2. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Honestly, I've always found the conservative religious agenda in the US utterly mind boggling, let alone its obvious influence in the political spheres, promoting hateful behaviours, limiting freedoms that are down to each individual to choose and even going as far as imposing ancient Judaic / Christian precepts on ALL people regarding morality and decency according to a specific view of the scriptures and Bible translation - how can this even be a thing in this day and age?

3. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

There was a documentary called Jesus Camp a few years back, outlining the Evangelicals agenda to do all these ....ty things.

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^lol, that movie was out a few years back when I watched it 5 years back. And the freakiest thing about it though, is that while I watched it I considered Evangelicals to be a relatively small, unimportant number of Christians in the USA, because I hadn't realized that it's an overarching term that includes major Protestant sects... which I unfortunately have found out since is at least a quarter of all people who live here.

I'm still pretty sure that Jesus Camp was specifically about one of the smaller, freakier Evangelical sects.

5. Faldoe

Faldoe SS.org Regular

I think it's an important point.

As someone that has in the past identified with being on "the left," I've more recently started to notice the hypocrisy and lack of critical thinking in many left venues. This is not to saying I'm moving to the right but rather realize issues should be examined in a case-by-case basis and looking at the facts and thinking critically instead of sticking with what a party or group says.

There is actually data showing a lot of young republicans/libertarian leaners support gay marriage.

It's an easy thing to say "all X are like this."

6. Thorerges

Thorerges SS.org Regular

Thats exactly how I approach these issues, well said sir.

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm not sure what made this bump-worthy, but given the understandable desire to distance oneself from bigots... is there currently parity in terms of the political parties having presidential candidates who are still making public statements against marriage equality after the Supreme Court decision?

Or, if only one party still has candidates arguing this point... is it at all possible that there is only one party where such thinking is still acceptable at a national level?

Please notice that the question isn't whether all members of such a party support it. I'm asking if only one party doesn't yet repudiate such thinking automatically, possibly even active courting those who hold such views.

If that would seem to cast a pall over those who deplore belonging to such an organization, that pall wouldn't the fault of those who are noting the behavior, but instead of the party continuing to engage in such behavior, wouldn't it?

8. Faldoe

Faldoe SS.org Regular

6 Presidential Candidates Pledge to Support Bill to Protect Gay Marriage Opponents

The Republicans have a lot of issues to deal with besides gay marriage right now. While it was certainly an upfront issue in past elections, it isn't currently, but that doesn't mean Republican candidates don't still oppose it.

Rubio: The Supreme Court's Same-Sex Marriage Ruling Is 'Bad Law' [VIDEO] | The Daily Caller

1/ 1-b - I don't follow what you're asking here.

2 - Maybe you need to rephrase that. Again; I don't follow.

9. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Not to mention every time there's a gun control debate I get to read a bunch of stupid, "Goddamn liberals" comments.

The funny thing is that depending on the issue I get told that I'm either far too conservative or far too liberal? Which am I then? I'll be glad when we stop viewing the world through these goggles as well.

10. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You skipped my first question, now labeled A above, but let me ask them again to eliminate your confusion, with answers provided, so that you can then provide evidence in the form of examples to disprove them.

(A) Have both parties had equal amounts of presidential candidates, or even equal proportions of presidential candidates, who have come out during the campaigns against marriage equality?

No. Only one party has had presidential candidates using that as part of their campaign, not both parties. Just as one example, in various fundraisers, Ted Cruz continues to argue against marriage equality, and even in the past month, has stated that he will direct the federal government to ignore the Supreme Court decision allowing marriage equality... among other words about his feelings about gays getting legally married.

(1) Does that mean that there is only one party where such bigotry wouldn't automatically get a candidate rejected?

It appears so, yes.

(1b) Does that party not only *not* reject that bigotry, but instead actively court those who espouse such bigotry?

This has historically been an active part of that party's political strategy since it was first embraced as the "Southern Strategy," hoping to gain the votes of former Democrats who didn't agree with the Democratic Party's support of civil rights.

(2) To whom would fall the blame for gaining a reputation of associating with such bigots, the national party which chooses to not only associate with, but even actively court such bigots... or those who point out the happy association and courting?

I would say that any group which engages in an action is responsible for that action's resulting effect on the group's reputation.

It's been interesting to watch Lindsey Graham this election and in the past as well. He has consistently argued that there are not enough angry white males coming into existence to match the numbers of other voters, and that the Republican Party therefore needed to stop focusing on placating that group and try to grow its appeal to those other voting blocs. He also was possibly the only candidate who agreed with the scientific consensus on anthropogenic global warming, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I do hope that clarified not just my questions, but what answers to those questions are easily supported by evidence.

----

I think you wanted to argue that there was some internal opposition to such bigotry, but without having to acknowledge that such bigotry actually exists and is even openly embraced and courted in one of the parties. Hopefully my being extremely explicit will help you acknowledge that point, as well as the fact that only one party is doing so on a national level.

11. asher

asher So Did We

What they say they support is irrelevant when they will still go and pull the lever for candidates who are strongly anti-LGBT rights.

12. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

:agreed: Talk. Is. Cheap.

I honestly don't believe a lot of what many politicians say for the simple fact that they'll openly talk about things like "trying to get the female/minority vote"... To say that suggests you're willing to say whatever appeals to the widest audience and that you're less likely to tell the truth. Maybe I'm just a pessimist...