Christian Conservative Republican homophobia on open display

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by 7stg, Sep 29, 2014.

1. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

If there is any doubt as to the true nature of Christian Conservative Republicans, Their major conferences such as CPAC and the values voter summit provide a venue where their views are openly expressed. Before watching, be prepared to be filled with disgust as bigotry and discrimination are enthusiastically promoted as positive values. The values voter summit was held last weekend and they delivered as usual.

This clip from the Panel: Marriage in America: The Road Ahead shows that it is praise worthy to discriminate against homosexuals.

Here is the full clip. scroll down the list about mid way to Marriage in America: The Road Ahead. The segment starts at 15:00
    2014 Values Voter Summit

Sang-Drax and The Q like this.
  2. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Let me summarize the viewpoint of the woman in the video:

It's the same story as all those court case testimonies against miscegenation and interracial marriage. Should a venue or service provider be able to deny service to interracial couples?

And apparently the answer is, yes!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  3. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

wow what a nutter. "If they asked for me to a make their cake I would feel so honored to be a part of such a special day" - except if they're gay - how disgusting. She doesn't even realize how hateful she is.

edit:

The first comment on the video tells you how these people really feel. How could they not realized how evil it is to say that about someone:

4. Explorer

BTW, I think this video is interesting, in that when a kid is talking about why there shouldn't be same sex marriage, they really couldn't articulate an answer.

I wonder what new prejudices the right will rush to embrace in the future? They're losing so many battles n their war to retain descrimination....

5. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Great video. I died laughing at the two minute mark because she's all "I can't even." :lol:

6. Explorer

Again, that same reasoning was a good reason to enforce anti-miscegenation laws.

To me, this woman, and the conference which embraces her, are part of the same bigoted American subculture which lead to all the racist comments on that biracial couple on that Cheerios commercial.

7. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

Every time I see a thread like this, I have to post this...

I myself, as a registered Republican in the state of the Florida, a christian conservative;

We are not all racist, homophobic bigots.
    But all racist, homophobic bigots are Republican.

Same-sex marriage, marijuana legalization, and some other topics of controversy in the US of A, should not be categorized into a Democrat/Republican battle. I know Democrats who are against same-sex marriage, and I also know Republicans who are all for same-sex marriage.

Please don't slur the political party I belong to (nobody has, but in case somebody plans on it) because of a few folk who have controversial views that many folk do not agree with. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, as fvcked up as it may seem sometimes.
    I chose the political party I belong to for my political views. Not whether I want pot to be legal, or two men to get married, or any other stupid controversial arguments like that.

8. 7stg

7stg SS.org Regular

Here is the playlist for CPAC 2014 https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmqnjF1D2hhbFKIqBIVzhCK54eef2DZol I got about half way.

I am not a democrat or a republican. As I see it, it's a false dilemma, it's like being asked what would you like to get hit in the face with, a lead pipe or a baseball bat, I don't want either.

Here is some fun with Democrats.

9. Explorer

It's a lovely sentiment.

I'm not sure there are a lot of legislative initiatives on the Democratic side to support it.

I do think the Democrats are in favor of sexual orientation being protected from employment discrimination. How do the Republicans score on that?

I understand that there are people who feel strongly enough about some issues that they can overlook how their party as a whole treats those deemed undesirable. Does that make those people bad who let things like that happen?

I guess I wonder... is it your view that Democratic initiatives against gays just aren't publicized, and that they are about even with Republicans?

Or are you thinking that there are enough antigay Democrats to equal the antigay Republicans? :scratch:

10. pwsusi

pwsusi SS.org Regular

You tell us, how do the republican's score on that? Name one piece of legislation that the republican party has tried to pass that would exclude gays from protection from employment discrimination. There isn't one. You are taking views of certain people and painting with a broad brush to apply to all republicans. Should we start listing certain anti-semetic quotes from certain democrats and make an assertion that the democratic party hates Jews?

Most conservatives that I know aren't anti-gay, they just believe sexuality isn't something that the federal government needs to be involved with. Some of the most religious people I know are democrats. While they may not be as extreme as some of the people in the videos they happen to be members of the church that considers homosexuality a sin. So I guess the logical conclusion is that democrats are anti-gay right (guilt by association)?

I'm not a republican, but these democrat vs. republican p*ssing matches have to stop; it's childish. The political elite are only interested in dividing and conquering in pursuit of power. Don't fall into their trap.

11. ferret

ferret Not worthy

It's more that such protections don't really exist to begin with, and the Republicans aren't trying to create them. I.e. leaving the protections non-existent or opposing bills that would create protections is the same as passing a bill that deliberately excludes them.

Then, they should be calling for DOMA and such to be repelled and sexuality removed from Federal law. Which, from my humble position, isn't happening at all from the conservatives. Even from the conservative glorified position of "states rights" they aren't attacking these federal laws.

12. asher

asher So Did We

pwusi: anectodal evidence is anectodal. We all know not every Republican is a racist homophobic bigot. But as you say, all racist homophobic bigots are Republican. And enough of them to keep sending like ones into local, state, and federal government. When that's what party line is and it's what most voters support, it's very difficult to say that's not what the party is about.

Prop 8 in CA - Exit polls indicate 82% of Republicans voted Yes, 64% of Democrats and 54% of Independents voted No. Plus, go do some homework about who was pushing it:
    Local Exit Polls - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

Bush II denounces gay marriage in SOTU, proposes possible Constitutional ban:
    Bush Denounces Gay Marriage in State of the Union | Democracy Now!

Republicans in Arizona author and pass bill to legalize discrimination against LGBT:
    Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer vetoes SB 1062, controversial anti-gay bill - CNN.com

And that's just off the top of my head. I know I could find a lot more. Have you looked into how many gay marriage bans have been struck down by state courts in the last few years? And this list gets much, much bigger if you also look at women's (reproductive) rights, marijuana, immigration, voter ID, etc... all (or almost all, depending on whether you think voter ID is as racist as its effects have been shown to be) social but highly political issues that Republicans pass legislation against.

Social issues are politics. People make campaigns out of them all the time. Saying that politics are only economics and foreign policy is burying your head in the sand. If only a small handful of people held these views, we wouldn't be seeing such a crazy rightward shift in the GOP.

vilk likes this.
  13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

You can tell me that it's wrong to do, but I generally receive someone telling me they are republican/conservative as full-on admission that they are on some level racist/homophobic/anti-science/anti-poor(aka racist)/. I think it's almost funny that some people don't. It's really a pretty logical conclusion to jump to. I'm not even sure if it's ever wrong.

However, we do have to remember that these people are programmed to be this way. You almost can't blame them considering the people around them have been reinforcing these ideas since they were born.

So go on ahead, tell me how you're a moderate conservative/republican. I'll tell how and why that makes you a bigot. But I won't necessarily hold it against you.

14. Explorer

@vilk - I don't necessarily think that all Republicans are racist and homophobic.

However, I do think that either they are, or they care more about economics and foreign policy than about freedom and the Constitution.

"I care about job creation... and am willing to sacrifice those who other Republicans view as undesirable, and not give *those* people the same job protextions as others are entitled to."

"I believe more strongly in this aspect of dealing with foreign countries... and so I'll vote in those who attempt to keep actual US citizens from voting, because fvck the Constitution and civil rights. Breaking a few eggs, you know?"

15. pwsusi

pwsusi SS.org Regular

I'll say it again, there should not be federal legislation surrounding what consensual adults do in the bedroom, DOMA or otherwise. You're missing the point though. The issue is that our legislatures are smart enough to fix the problem but won't. Why, because the left is pandering to their base, and the right to theirs. Why, money and power. If they wanted to solve the issue they would. Here's a novel idea, why not decouple marriage from the benefits/protections that married people are entitled to? You know, laws that didn't give special treatment to special groups of people (including marriage, race, gender, etc). Do that and and the "marriage" label becomes moot. Consider the other side's argument though. Marriage is one of the 7 sacraments of the church and homosexuality is a sin. Whether you and I agree with that or not is irrelevant. Just like we wouldn't want the church making laws based on religion I would argue we don't want laws telling the church that they must redefine marriage (separation of church and state). Decouple the two things, compromise and make progress. But our legislators won't. They would rather divide us and conquer, that is a higher priority to them than doing the right thing for the people of the nation.

uhhhh, i never said that. But do seriously believe that is true?
    “White folks was in the caves while we [blacks] was building empires … We built pyramids before Donald Trump ever knew what architecture was … we taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it."

"Do some cracker come and tell you, ‘Well my mother and father blood go back to the Mayflower,’ you better hold your pocket. That ain’t nothing to be proud of, that means their forefathers was crooks."
    - Al Sharpton, Democrat, Racist, Homophobe

I don't know if this was directed at me or not, but if so I will reiterate that I'm not a republican. But I will admit I will be voting for the openly gay republican running for congress up here in my state (Tisei). I'm not sure if this makes me and/or him a racist/homophobic/anti-science/anti-poor person somehow, but if so would love to hear how and why i'm a bigot.

16. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

In politics the parties are like a hive. It doesn't really matter if many are sane if the bulk of the republican party whom actually take action isn't. No one is any of those slurs for simply being a republican, but you do implicitly allow it to continue by allotting power to a group who has no qualms with being all of the above slurs.

On an idealistic level I get what you're saying about how social and financial/international issues should be decoupled (maybe making the republican party a better fit for you), but in the real world they do decide on the everyday laws and social issues, they vote in judges who make major changes in federal law, etc.. So in reality social issues matter from a voter standpoint because someone a long time ago decided to write laws about them. There is no going back and even if they were that isn't all that relevant to the here and now.

It's important to not be so steadfast in your ideals that you let reality pass you right by.

17. pwsusi

pwsusi SS.org Regular

I don't disagree with you, but will only add that i feel the same way about the democrats
    I hear you man. I agree social issues do matter, but not the way the parties go about solving them. I guess in many ways it's just the lesser of two evils, which is why I wish we had run off elections, but that is a whole different topic. So for me it it's basically whoever has the better chance of keeping us safe and making sure we had laws in place to protect the rights of citizens as defined by our forefathers. Not someone who will bypass laws if they don't agree with them, but will seek to change them the proper way. Someone who who offers solutions to problems (even if i don't agree with them) with a roadmap to get from point a to point b and not just feel good legislation, kick the can down the road mentality or pandering to a special interest groups. Basically someone who for the most part will just leave me alone, take responsibility and not talk to us like we are in 2nd grade :). With the current landscape of political leaders there aren't many that fit that description, so as you said you go with whatever is closest to your beliefs in the areas that are most important to you at a given point in time (i.e. social, vs. financial vs international issues).

18. asher

asher So Did We

pwsusi, my bad! I conflated your post with ZeroTolerance94's in my head.

That being said, you asked for examples of legislation by Republicans to discriminate against LGBT, and I provided several...

Policy is not a vacuum. Obviously, in an ideal world we don't need the Civil Rights act, or the Voting Rights legislation that the SCOTUS recently disembowled, we wouldn't need to challenge same-sex marriage bans into the SCOTUS, etc... but until that large racist bloc goes away, people need to push back.

19. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Marriage may be a sacrament of the church, but it is also present in other religions, also it is (more relevant to this discussion) a secular, legal institution.

All marriage in this country is governed by law. Whether or not the ceremony happens within a particular religious center is beside the point, because not all marriages happen within one given religion.

20. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Marriage as discussed is a contract. Even though we have a whole set of emotional values, life projects and expectations, it legally stands as a contract. Religious marriage is a completely separate institution, and as such has no place whatsoever in the discussion.

Gay couples are entitled to the same rights as heterosexual ones constitutionally. This includes the protection afforded to either spouse on a marriage contract, eventual tax benefits, you name it. A secular state has long shown to be the best grounds for equality and justice before religious plurality, so the constant attempts to introduce religious concepts in it by these so-called "conservative Christians" is mind boggling to me.