Choosing between Ibanez RG7421 VS S7421.

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by elkoki, Jun 27, 2018.

1. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Found both for sale, the RG7421 comes with Fluence Moderns installed, for $300, used. and the S7421 is stock but is $200.. Which would you go with? or save up for something else? Both are Indonesian models

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Can you try them first?

3. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Just the S7421, it's about 20-25 miles away from me. The other is online

4. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

RG I guess if you like the fishmans.
    Go for the S if you're one of the cool kids and recognize that it's their best body design.
    or if you just want to try before you buy / install your own pickups.

NickS, odibrom and Sogradde like this.
  5. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Never tried Fishmans but it seems like a fair deal. The S series is tempting too, I have some unused Dimarzio's that would probably go nice in there. I got a D-activator,Titan and Liquifire.

6. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

So you're basically buying Fishmans and a free guitar comes with them. Not a bad deal. I'd do that one.

Masoo2 and I play music like this.
  7. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

If you happen to not like the Fishmans you could sell them and get most of your money back. Low-risk deal IMO.

I play music likes this.
  8. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Probably true, assuming the pickups have a good resale value.. It can be hard to sell 7 string pickups sometimes. I'm still thinking it over

9. odibrom

odibrom .

Get both, sell the fishmans. 2 guitars for the price of one...:D

10. bubucci

bubucci SS.org Regular

go for Fishman one :)

11. Airhead

Airhead SS.org Regular

S series from Ibanez have a special place in my heart, it's the most beautiful guitar shape I ever see.

12. mguilherme87

mguilherme87 SouthShoreSeven

Cant go wrong with any option, the resale of the pickups covers any losses. Id just grab the RG7321, its a great guitar and the necessary pickup swap is already taken care of!

13. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I have a S7421 and I freaking love it.

Comfortable and lightweight body that helps me play for hours sitting down.

Body shape doesn't obstruct like the RG models which I also have/love. Subjective, of course.

Doesn't have a single fret buzz. When I first set it up in 2015 when I got it, I bottomed out all the saddles and thought, "man, this thing is gonna buzz like a bee hive. LOL." Not a single fret buzzed which is a huge +1 for me. Obviously, if the S7421 you play/try out is used, then there might be buzz from pre owner use. I purchased mine new.

The cons:

The Gibraltar bridge and the volume control knob will tarnish and have a cloudy look to them after playing the guitar. Not a huge problem as I can just get a wipe cloth and wipe them down and it will shine again.

Because of it's thin body, the guitar will sometimes shift around when I'm playing in classical position. I have to make sure it's secure when I'm playing. After playing the RG body shape for years, playing the S7421 for the first few months was like playing a tennis racket. LOL.

I have seen the RG7421 is the music stores but unfortunately, I don't have as much experience with them. Anyways, good luck in your decision.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  14. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Cool, you're one of the few people out there who owns one. The S7421's were only in production for a year and I don't think i've heard or seen a demo on one. Thanks for the info! Still a tough choice. Do you happen to have any videos or audio with the Ibanez S7421?

15. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

You're welcome. Unfortunately, I don't have any recording equipment of any kind and you probably don't want to hear my mediocre playing. LOL. When I got the guitar in 2015, I also looked on the internet/Youtube for any demos/reviews on the guitar and found none. IMHO, the fact that the guitar was only available for 1 year probably didn't help the guitar circulate among players. I have seen multiple demos/reviews on the S7420 version, which as the ZR-7 tremolo, though.

If the seller of the S7421 that you're looking at only wants $200, IMHO, that is a f__king steal!!! I had to pay $700 for mine from George's Music store in 2015. It worked out fine because I love the guitar but if I only had to pay $200 for a guitar I know plays well, I'd buy it.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018