Choosing a Schecter: KM-7 vs C-7 Apocalypse

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Hired Goon, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Hired Goon

Hired Goon SS.org Regular

So I'd like to get into 7 string playing and I've narrowed it down to Schecter, and probably 1 of these models. They appear very similar. In fact looking at the specs they are pretty much the same guitar with the biggest difference being the Nazgul/Sentient combo vs the Schecter USA Apocalypse-VII combo.

There has been a lot written about the KM-7, so I'm pretty confident it's a solid choice. I do like the finish on the Apocalypse better though, but I'm not so sure about the Schecter pickups.

2. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    This should answer your questions about the Apocalypse and the pickups.

As for the KM7 I own one it's solid and to be honest there's not much I can add to the conversation that hasn't already been said.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

The KM7 has a slightly thinner neck than the C-7 Apocalypse as well.

4. Hired Goon

And I guess the KM just has the 1 volume control rather than the 3 on the Apocalypse. I prefer the 1.

5. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

I own a KM7-MK2, and its a great guitar.
    Good quality instrument.
    They do come with wiring/electronic issues, but that is a cheap fix.
    I swapped out the Nazgul, it wasn't smooth enough for me on the high end, though it is an aggressive modern pickup.
    I love the sentient in the neck and I went with a 7 string version of the SD distortion pickup in the bridge to replace the Nazgul. I like it, but it I think I want something voiced more modern and definitely more compressed.
    I tried the 6 string black winters on an Epi LP, and ohhh boy do those kick ass!!
    I plan on changing the bridge pickup once again from the SD distortion to something else at some point, not sure with what tho, maybe bareknuckle?

Aside from everything I've stated previously which in my opinion are very minor complaints, the only thing I would change/tweak about the KM7-MK2 personally, would be the neck.
    I've never been a huge fan of Schecter necks, they just dont sit as comfortably in my hands as the different Ibanez necks I've played.
    That's not to say that it is a bad neck, it is comfortable and thin but I seem to prefer a "U" neck profile a bit more than what seems to be a "C" profile on the KM7 and other Schecter guitars I've played... With the exception to ONE....

The Schecter Jeff Loomis 7!!
    On the way home from visiting my girls fam in upstate Mass, she suggested we stop by the Axe palace in Walpole, and one of the first Axe's i grabbed once there was a Schecter JL-7 in red....
    It was INSTANTLY the Schecter neck I've always wanted >___<' Its like Ibanez made the neck for these Schecter guitars lol
    It's flat thin and wide!!! Just the way I wanted on my KM7-MK2. Like holy shit it felt good...blew my mind that it was a Schecter guitar. Schecter's idea of a thin neck is different than Ibanez, which I've narrowed down to being due to the neck profile differences more than anything, also likely the differences in radius.

With that said, I would try and find a store near you that has a bunch of Schecters even if its not the ones you are looking to buy. You want to try and get a comparison for the difference in specs within Schecters offerings. That way you can set some plausible expectations for what it is you need/want out of a new guitar.
    I bought the Schecter from an online store without playing it beforehand and was lucky that it is a quality instrument and that it felt good in my hands.
    I wont be doing that again, specs will only ever tell ya so much.
    For example both the KM7-MK2 and JL7 have identical Neck specifications detailed on Schecters web site. But having played them both by now, each feels wildly different in my hands.
    While one feels fine and more than serviceable, the other SCREAMS pure ecstasy!
    Wish i knew what exactly attributed to such a difference between the 2 guitars necks... My guess is neck profile...

Good luck my friend!
    I would look at the Kieth Merrow KM7-MK1 or MK2, the Banshee series, and the Jeff Loomis signiture's.
    Haven't played the Banshee's, but having played the other two I would seriously consider a Banshee if I could do all of this over again!

6. Hired Goon

Thanks for the info. I'm generally not too concerned about neck thickness as I play a bunch of guitars with varying necks.

I just want pickups that aren't going to sound too muddy in those lower ranges.

I understand the Mk-ii has a few upgrades over the Mk-i like compensated nut, but I probably like the look of the Mk-i carved top more. Haven't really considered the Banshees but I'll look into it.

7. Triple-J

They feel like different necks because they are...the Loomis neck has a flat radius of 16" whereas the KM neck has a 12-16" compound radius but they both have the same neck thickness.

8. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

I see, so the only difference between the necks is how flat the fretboard is, which in the JL7's case is flatter all the way through.
    Any differences I feel between the KM7-MK2's neck and the JL7's neck are due to this alone?

This will help a lot going forward :)

9. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

The Apo has imho better pups

10. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

was going to add that the Nazgul pickup caters to progressive modern metal with extended range 7/8 string guitars.

11. Triple-J

Yeah the neck radius is the only difference it's worth noting that Schecter have two shapes of neck thin C and ultra thin C (Loomis & KM are ultra thin C) then two types of radius a flat 16" or a 12-16" compound.

12. skmanga

skmanga SS.org Regular

Thank you very much!
    Will have to get around to trying a few different necks and deciding what works best for me.

13. Gorespe

Gorespe Chopstix

I own the Mk I KM7 in Lambo Orange and I'm really satisfied with it. As Skmanga said, there are some wiring issues. Mine is that the coil split doesn't exactly work right. The split sounds very weak and not spanky in comparison to my Skervesen's. Easy fix though if you're crafty with a soldering iron or if you want to drop it off somewhere.

Only thing I'm not too crazy about on the Mk I series is the pickup routes, as they chose to go with covered pickups. Not too noticeable though if you go with opens, but I like cavities nice and tight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]