Chino wants next Deftones album to have more input from Stef and Abe

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 3, 2017.

1. squids

squids .

Lol. what a funny statement.

Would be cool to have their new bass player contribute as well, he’s got a lot of good punk roots

2. fps

fps Kit

Diamond Eyes feels atmospherically like a companion piece to White Pony, to me. I really adore it, and feel that DE and Koi No Yokan were two of the strongest records of their career. So I'll always give the new single a listen then buy based on that (or not). Gore didn't work for me.

It wasn't that it was arty, though. It just wasn't as well done as it could have been - a lot of people backlash against a band (not Deftones, they're known for experimenting, but generally) for moving sound, others say the fans are closed-minded for not liking direction changes, but often the truth is when a band moves out of its comfort zone it's not doing the thing it does best. Deftones shift around deliberately, which is great, but I felt in Gore they were trying to make something that didn't play to their strengths: otherworldly off-kilterness; sex; transcendence; cutting guitars; slow-motion punk in a blender.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  3. BlueTrident

BlueTrident SS.org Regular

I enjoyed Gore, not as much as KNY or DE. However I do agree that the mix is TERRIBLE. Considering how well the low frequencies blended so well on the previous two albums, it was always a given that there'd soon be too much low end. Might have to do with Sergio using that Fender VI bass/baritone hybrid.

4. chipchappy

chipchappy SS.org Regular

Everything with the exception of Saturday Night Wrist was enjoyable up until Gore, I thought. Loved Koi No Yokan, especially.

Gore was cool at times, but it was just kinda weird and never really settled in for me. I agree with the sentiment that Stef doesn't utilize an 8 string like Fredrik has, so when I saw him with that Floyded 8 I was ready for some interesting, brutally slick Deftones heaviness. But it just wasn't that and I was kinda bummed.

ANYWAY - yay to bandmembers contributing more. MAKE BANDS BANDS AGAIN

5. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

I never understand why people don't like SNW. I think it's their best album.

6. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

For quite a while, I didn't really like it. Over time though, it really grew on me.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  7. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The production sucks and it has that terrible song with the voiceovers. That's all I can figure. Hearing "Hole in the Earth" got me back into them in a big way after dismissing them after a single listen of the S/T was such a letdown. I like most of the album, especially the dirgey one with the 8 string level downtuning.

8. Ataraxia2320

The production sucks how? I think its the best mix of modern production and rawness out of all of their earlier records.

The only albums that have objectively better production are Diamond Eyes and White pony (or the HD version of Koi No Yokan - it has about another 5 db of headroom).

I totally get why people don't like Pink Cellphone though, it's absolutely marmite.

9. chipchappy

chipchappy SS.org Regular

Idk man, it just didn't vibe with me. I know that was a particularly tense and difficult time in the band and I kinda think they let it show with their songwriting, and not in a good way. I hear you though - there are tons of albums people don't like that I'm in love with.

Just for the record - I have no problem with the production. I got into music by way of Black Flag, Motorhead and early Metallica... production is not a deal breaker for me.

10. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It's incredibly fuzzy and indistinct and the instruments are mushed together. I first heard it at a friend's house and I thought he must have downloaded a 96 Kbps version. I was unpleasantly surprised when I bought the cd and it sounded the same.

11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I'd be cool with more stuff like Self Titled and KNY. I personally thought White Pony was weak compared to what came before and after and the production sounded (to me) small and overly "digital" in some way. More Steph will always be a good thing.

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

[​IMG]

13. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

At this point the only appropiate thing to do is to close this thread immediately.
    It is like saying Metallica might not be the best band in the world.
    Jeeez...things are getting out of hand here.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  14. Ataraxia2320

Oh well I disagree, but that's the beautiful thing about music, it's all subjective :).

15. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

[​IMG]

GunpointMetal likes this.
  16. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

Something I haven't seen (maybe missed) is the amount of projects Chino contributed to over the last years and maybe some chance it detracted from the quality of the ideas he brought to Gore. I've never been big into his side projects but I thought Palms and Crosses were both more cohesive than Gore was. :2c: