Chino wants next Deftones album to have more input from Stef and Abe

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 3, 2017.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

This doesn't sound like it should have it's own thread, but given the meh reception to Gore, I imagine if this is true then it'll probably mean a much, much more welcome album. TBH I've yet to listen to Gore, but a heavy, guitar/drum-driven album would be welcome from me. :lol:

http://www.metalinjection.net/lates...ail&utm_term=0_98b4d25436-14dc22ded4-88880089

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  2. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Sounds like a step in the right direction, I always get the impression that Stef and Chino butt heads a lot.

3. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel K-U-N-fusion!

Save for a couple songs, "Gore" was a bore, IMO, and the production was way off for a Deftones album. This sounds like just the shot in the arm they need to crank out another killer album. Anyone else wish Steph would go back to a 7? 8-strings work for some bands, but to me, it's just a bit too low for Deftones.

4. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Yeah, this is good news.

Gore was a huge let down for me. Pretty much the only Deftones album I don't like. I'm not saying it's bad, or they suck now...just that this album didn't really do anything for me. I think I dig 2 songs off it.

I'm all about Carpenter's riffs, which is probably why I didn't appreciate Gore.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

So-so.

Steph has always been a very vocal Meshuggah fan (that's actually how I first heard of them) and he was very upfront that their use of 8-strings spurred his. I can sympathize and I've like some of what he's done with it, but their style definitely hasn't utilized it the same way Meshuggah does.

All that minutiae aside, I will agree categorically that the band was riffier when Steph was writing around 6s and 7s.

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  6. pullingstraws

pullingstraws SS.org Regular

I don't think the quality of the music or the riffs has to do with Steph's use of the eight string. With the last two albums it sounds like he came in on the tail end of writing process with a couple of his own songs, and just doubled up the bass parts on the ones written without him.

Take a song like You've Seen the Butcher. The riffs themselves are pretty basic one string material, but with the drums and keys it makes for (IMO) a killer song. On something like Rosemary (which is one of my favorites) Chino probably wrote the majority of it then Steph came in and put his own stuff on top.

I guess what I'm saying is it's the writing process not how much guitar is on the album. There's always guitar on a Deftones album. lol If Chino wants to include Steph more in the actual process it might go back to more of the push and pull of SNW and White Pony. I just hope the keys don't take too much of a back seat. Frank always does some rad shit. It's one of things I look forward to with new Deftones material.

7. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I want to hear an 8 string sibling to Around The Fur. I imagine that would be profoundly enjoyable.

ThePhilosopher and philkilla like this.
  8. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

This belongs in Unpopular Opinion thread I guess, but I personally loved Gore.

9. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Nah, you're not alone, I enjoyed Gore quite a bit. Except for a couple songs it's not at the level of their best stuff but it's still pretty good. That said, I agree the production was really off.

But more involvement from Steph and Abe has usually led to good stuff, so I'm all for it.

10. silverabyss

silverabyss J. Custom taste, Gio budget Contributor

*cupped hands around mouth* Just release Eros!

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

Gore was the worst Deftones album imo. Barely listenable, especially compared to some of their newer albums like Diamond eyes or Koi no Yokan, which were stellar.

BlackMastodon and fps like this.
  12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I like Gore way better than Koi no Yokan :shrug:

Phantom Bride into Rubicon is such a good ending to the album.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  13. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Gore was good for what it was (and I especially love the final two tracks), but Stefs input would lead to a lot of Meshuggah inspired riffs. And I am absolutely ok with this.

14. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

The production was so bad in Gore that it killed it for me. Well, that and the songs were just phoned in. Seriously, there are songs on there that the drums are barely audible... how does that happen? haha! :)

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  15. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

They could've just been in a funk for that album. I spun it once or twice and it never grabbed me.

Been a deftones fan since the video for My own summer tore my face off.

A mixture of Around the fur/white pony/Saturday night wrist would make me very very happy

16. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

White Pony was by far my favorite deftones album.
    But I seriously doubt that they will go into this direction ever again.

I'm not saying that I don't like low tunings, but Deftones-wise I liked it better when they tuned higher.
    I don't know if the low tuning was the reason the songwriting went downhill. It may be coincidence though.

17. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Or maybe it's that Stef doesn't use the entire range on his 8-strings since he's always using the lower strings, but even then I don't recall that much 8-string moments in Gore aside from Doomed User. Kind of a shame since he used to do some high string chord things on his 6 and 7-string stuff, he even said that the two high Es on his six-tuned 7-strings give him a doubled tone.

18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

From what I see on non-metal message boards, popular opinion is that White Pony was their easy pinnacle, and a lot of people totally jumped ship after that. That album was BIG, I remember reviews in the likes of Time magazine that were a page long about how great it was. The fact the S/T sorta blew chunks compared to what came after drove a lot of people away. White Pony had the most coherent SONGS as opposed to weird two-riff songs with no dynamics other than LOUD soft LOUD soft, and it was also arty and slightly off in a way that appealed to fans of bands like Radiohead as much as it did to people listening to Limp Bizkit and Korn and whatever else was popular in nu-metal at the time.

I wish they'd go back to that, too, but I don't think it will happen. Everything starting with the S/T has been pretty similar and none of it has sounded remotely like White Pony except a handful of songs here and there with similarly tight song structure and lack of droney weirdness (ex, Hole in the Earth, Beauty School, Sex Tape). I think Koi No Yokan was definitely the most White Pony-ish album they've released since. It actually used a pretty wide range of the guitar, mostly had focused songwriting, and didn't sound like ass.

And yes, they need to release Eros. What I've heard from that is really great.

BlackMastodon and ThePhilosopher like this.
  19. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Gore was a great album hidden behind dog shit production.

Matt Hyde is well capable of hitting it out of the park, but I think he was on crack during the mixing of Gore.

What annoys me the most is the band had the whole album remixed by someone else as they were initially unhappy with hyde's work but in the end they said the vibe wasn't right on the more polished mix.

I need this version of Gore in my life.

MerlinTKD likes this.
  20. silverabyss

silverabyss J. Custom taste, Gio budget Contributor

I guess I can see now that S/T has quite a bit of bunk songs on it but as a kid coming from White Pony the good songs (Needles and Pins, Good Morning Beautiful, Bloody Cape) were GOOD

vilk likes this.