China Can Shut Down All The Telecom Gear It Sold To The US

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mr_rainmaker, Jun 8, 2012.

1. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

2. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

And we buy all their crap. So it wouldnt make a whole lot of sense to fuck your best customer.

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Cheeky China

4. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

That's what I was thinking.
    Go ahead China. See if I care about the fact that millions of your people would try to kill you for ending their jobs.

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

China is also the single largest holder of American debt. They own you. :)

6. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I'm wondering if anyone actually read the article. It seems like fear-mongering to me more than anything but regardless the article stated it was a distinct possibility that they could do it in a time of war, not that they would just randomly do it because there was nothing better to do.

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Interesting that a lot of that stuff was installed without testing it (according to the article).

And by interesting, I mean that I used to work for a company which built MIL-SPEC communications and radar gear and countermeasures, and that we would *always* run stuff through the full gamut of testing (including the shake-and-bake) so we knew it would work in the field, and I therefore doubt this story.

Also, if there was a deliberate effort to sabotage what was being sold to other countries, it doesn't take a genius to know that all monetary assets belonging to China and Chinese companies would be frozen while it was sorted out.

Lastly, given the poor internal controls over manufacturing quality in China, it would be impossible for China to suddenly have competence in this area.

8. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

^After reading that post, I call bullshit on China.
    Obviously, that would be during war if China tried such a thing, but the people working in those factories would suddenly not have income, and therefore no food. I think all those people would be angry enough to revolt against their government, considering that their choices are either starve to death or probably die trying to overthrow their government. Dying from being shot to death or blown up is better than starving to death.

9. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I hate to be that guy, but...

How do YOU know?

:cool:

Explorer likes this.
  10. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

^
    Well, starving to death is probably quite painful, and takes time. While getting blown up just ends it right away.
    However, if you were to survive that grenade they threw at you.. Then I'd rather be starving :lol:

11. bob123

bob123 Banned

That's all it is.

China would need a VASTLY superior satellite network to even begin thinking about doing this. The best china has done is hack 2 WEATHER satellites in 07 and 08.

UCS Satellite Database | Union of Concerned Scientists

Explorer likes this.
  12. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    So, I talked to someone who remains active in communications, radar and jamming gear design and manufacture this morning, and got a funny answer. (I didn't record his answer, but the following is fairly close to his actual words.)

"Product piracy is rampant in China, with them producing material for internal sale and usage which is identical to what foreign companies pay them to build for export. Their design industry sucks, so they generally stick with the designs submitted by foreign companies when fabricating. If they build in design flaws which can render items useless, then their own internal items have those same design flaws.

"It sounds like some parties are picturing manufacturing and design prowess as being at the level of Mission: Imposible, instead of it being a grubby factory system with workers being exploited. That system is not only why the Chinese wouldn't be able to implement a scheme like this, redesigning an entire circuit to insert a failure device into chips which already have a completed design layout and just need to be manufactured. That same system is why Americans are willing to buy the fruits of what is often a slave labor system, due to the price."

"For all that Americans talk about freedom, we'd rather spend less than worry about some 5-year-old being a slave to build our cheap music players, computers or cellphones."

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

Backdoor Found In China-Made US Military Chip? - Slashdot

This article on slashdot is probably what this article was partially influenced by.

Before people get into a tizzy about the Reds, please, take the time to read a little further, and to overlook articles written with obvious panic inducing headlines.

The Reverend likes this.
  14. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

I don't think any of that is true.

At all.

Fuck you, China.

15. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

[​IMG]

More like they own 7.5% of us. Not to deny the magnitude of that sum of money, or that it carries political clout, but it's not like the Chinese government could leverage that debt to collapse the US economy or other such silliness. Frankly they don't want to, the US and Chinese economies are pretty much symbiotic at this point, and China is not an explicitly expansionist nation. They want security: politically, militarily and economically. They have no qualms about playing dirty to get what they want, but I doubt the Chinese government has delusions of conquest or world domination.

16. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

China is smart enough not to. I'm sure they remember what we did to Japan. Pretty sure the US ( as we often do) will over react and fuck them up. Bottom line China knows if they do our military will hand them their asses.

17. mr_rainmaker

mr_rainmaker Resident Cherokee

18. Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk Monolithic A.D.-dibs Contributor

Even if that were true, what would they do if we simply defaulted on the debt?

Nothing.

On-topic:

There have been a few sneaky things China has done, but I seriously doubt they could simply shut down all of our current tele communications.

:shrug:

19. Imbrium998

Imbrium998 Bangs head here

Nice graphic, but that is US Government debt...not private debt. Think about all of the private enterprise that China HAS purchased over recent years.

A prime example of Chinese scooping up good deals would be something like this:
    Geely - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

True story