Check out my new track!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by AngstRiddenDreams, Aug 12, 2017.

1. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

First track I've recorded in awhile but it's a fun jam I've worked out recently. Mix/track critiques always welcome!
    https://soundcloud.com/the-matt-squatch/august-wip

IGC likes this.
  2. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

drums are too far back, particularly the snare and kick, the drums don't sound like they're being played hard at all, could be the samples or tones. Guitars are too loud and way too harsh.

The track is good though, just needs some mixing

AngstRiddenDreams likes this.
  3. AngstRiddenDreams

Thanks, I'm mixing in a less than ideal sounding room so I need feedback like that!

4. AngstRiddenDreams

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. AngstRiddenDreams

new track had alignment problems ignore this

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  6. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Hey man, I agree with Jeremy on this one as well on the hits sounding soft. Like the beginning of the song the hits are not consistent, but then as the song goes on the kick and snare get a bit more consistent. You obliviously don't want robotic sounding drums but I think this track could benefit from a little more consistency in the velocity department. When the snare is loud enough, I like it. The kick sounds a bit boxy to me in general and when the double bass comes in at the end it sounds flubby. The kick could benefit from additional EQ and compression to cut out the boxiness, boost the 80hz range, get some click out of it in the 4-8khz range, and to make the kick tighter (slower attack and faster release). The cymbals are also a bit harsh and sound like they have a shelf boosting the 6khz and up frequencies. I would work on taking out some of that harshness then balance the volume with the rest of the kit.

Your mixes are getting a lot better. Keep at it!

7. AngstRiddenDreams

8. AngstRiddenDreams

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  9. AngstRiddenDreams

Bump. Would love some feedback on the track

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol: This is SO not my usual kind of music, but I'm really enjoying this project. I dig the almost major vibe of this, the comnstant screaming in the middle loses me a little (say 1:30 on), but overall this is cool as hell and there are some REALLY good moments here - guitar-only breakdown around 0:48, for instance. I'm trying to figure out who this reminds me of... maybe a scream-ier, heavier early Hum...? That doesn't sound right, but something like that is right at the tip of my tongue.

Only arrangement feedback is that I'll go completely the other direction from some earlier commenters, and say I'd like to hear MORE variability, and a softer, less robotic ride in the opening, with more exaggerated accents. I think you could really play up the dynamics on this one in the opening, to make it seem even more like your virtual drummer is absolutely burying the sticks into his kit in the heavy sections.

11. AngstRiddenDreams

I appreciate you checking it out since it's not your type of music. I appreciate your in depth responses even more though! Thank you so much man.
    I'm working on varying velocities more at the moment and adding reverb to the vocals since my vocal tracks are dry on that link. I'm also trying to flesh out a guitar solo.
    Cheers man!
    If anyone else is interested I'd love constructive criticism! https://soundcloud.com/the-matt-squatch/reach-in