Cheap/good hardware

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by J_Mac, Mar 1, 2018.

1. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

There’s a lot of cheap hardware on eBay. I have a couple of those £4 PRS-esque hardtail bridges on the way over from China which I heard were good for the money.

Has anyone got any recommendations for cheap-but-good hardware?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not sure about the logistics of getting it to the UK, but most of the Guitar Fetish stuff is really good for the price. I really like the all brass stuff.

LiveOVErdrive and J_Mac like this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Seconded. I've bought a lot of hardware from them and all of it has been high quality.

I've bought some "kmise" stuff off Amazon and had good experiences with it. Definitely not high quality but very VERY cheap and mostly adequate. Their truss rods are great, especially for 8 bucks.

IGC and J_Mac like this.
  4. Deegatron

Deegatron SS.org Regular

I just received a box of Guitarfetish stuff last night. all looks great. their XGP pot's are actually of rather high quality. haven't hooked one up yet but they have a nice smooth action and I'd say a medium to stiff turn resistance.
    My one complaint would be that the black plating on my telecaster cover plate is rather poor. looks dirty but it's just the plating... like some gunk got swirled in while it was being plated.

5. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've used GFS pickups & Hardware quite a bit. Most of it is really good.
    People harp on it a lot because they think that reasonably good quality has to be expensive, even if it's imported.

6. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

Yes the blue "kmise" "ye buy" two way 18 and 22 inch truss rods are rock solid and fully functional in both directions. I have like 12 of them pending use.
    I have read mixed reviews about the "kmise" roller saddles but I have 20 of them and the rollers seem a little loose side to side but dont see it being a problem gonna use them any way for some pending custom hard tails.
    The Kmise Gotho style locking tuners are fine. Got some of the even cheaper "neewer " tuners pending use. They seem fine. And for the 10 bucks I payed for 12 of them no big loss if they suck.
    I would compare to RG stock tuners?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

+1 on GFS, they have pretty good quality hardware. I don't like their electronics but that's more personal preference than any issue with them.

8. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Regarding bridges, the Chinese PRS-style hardtails you get everywhere for 10-15 bucks are OK. Cheap tuners are usually crap. And looking at what I pay just for the woods of my build, I have no issues to get the best hadrware as well. With only three or four builds per year, the prices for high-end hardware don't kill me...