Cheap Active Full-range Loudspeakers for Axe FX

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ItWillDo, May 20, 2012.

1. ItWillDo

ItWillDo MOUTHOFTHERIVER

So considering I'm playing in two bands now (one that gigs often, and one that gigs rarely) I decided to move my power amp & cabinet to the practice room of the band that gigs often.

This leaves me with the problem that I don't have an amplifier now in the practice room of the other band so I'm playing through the PA there (which pretty much sucks) and i'm looking to solve this by buying myself an active loudspeaker to serve as a poweramp+cab-combo. The second problem is that I'm still a student and I'm not doing too damn well financially since I had to buy a 7-string to use in the new band. My budget is about 400-450 euros MAX. This isn't much (at all) but it's the best I can do for now.

I've been looking at the active speakers at Thomann, and I'm mostly interested in the 15" ones (considering I've been told that these have a superior bass-response) and Behringer seems to have some interesting deals, but I'm always slightly concerned with their quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. otisct20

otisct20 SS.org Regular

I believe Behringer makes 15 inch 550w active speakers for pretty cheap.

3. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

Someone has a thread about the alto speakers. They claim they sound really good.

4. OrsusMetal

OrsusMetal In brightest day...

The 12" ones will have PLENTY off low end. Especially if the AxeFx is driving it. You have so many eq'ing options with the Axe you can get a ton of range. That will also make it a bit cheaper, too.

I'm using the JBL Prx612M, which I believe is above your budget. But well worth the price.

5. ItWillDo

ItWillDo MOUTHOFTHERIVER

Yeah, if I had the extra cash I'd go for the PRX612 but money's too tight to mention.

So I think I'll give the Alto TS112's a shot. :yesway:

6. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Don't let the speaker size be the deciding factor, look at the frequency response to see how low it goes.
    I am using a Yorkville 12 inch PA that also works as a bass speaker and its amazing on guitar.

Best thing to do is buy used and bring your gear to try it out first.

7. Seanthesheep

Seanthesheep SS.org Regular

How are the yorkville speakers? The ones i can find are like only 200w :(

8. Zombie13

Zombie13 Guitartist

9. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Another vote for the Alto 15" here! A few folks commented on them in that other thread recently and I'm glad I listened to them! My buddy and I went to GC to test out speakers and we tested some Yamaha speakers (pretty meh tbh, especially given the price tag... :lol:), the QSC K10 (excellent speaker, very articulate lows which was surprising for a 10" speaker) and K12 (sounder "bigger" than the K10 but lacked the low-end definition the K10 had) and finally the Alto which sounded great across the whole spectrum! :yesway: Tight, articulate lows and the mids and highs were very present and didn't distort on the cleans which I noticed the others had some issues with harder picking. I'd say if you can try one out, definitely do so! :agreed: I threw a video up on Facebook, if I can find a way to get it up here I'll do that too. :)

10. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

11. Dores

Dores SS.org Regular

I've been using a Behringer B212D with my Axe FX and Pod, and it works perfectly. MORE than enough low end - I actually cut all the bass on the onboard EQ to make it fit the band mix better. It's great for the money!

12. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Also to the comments of "a 12" speaker has more than enough low end" I'd just like to mention that having a ton of lows is not the same thing as have a ton of lows and having them actually be TIGHT. You can have a 12" speaker that has a ton of bass but if that bass is flubby and you play 7's, what good is it? :lol: Articulate bass is key, especially with the Axe and a 7+ string guitar. The Yamahas we played through all sounded like a wet fart on the 7th string which was only tuned to Bb on a 27" scale so it's not like we had it tuned uber low with no tension. :rofl:

13. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

The one I am using is the NX55 which is 550 watts, damn damn damn loud yet can play with great tone a bedroom or less levels.

14. RandyE9

RandyE9 Yes I live in Omaha.

I just ordered an Alto Ts112a last night so i'm hoping it sounds as good as it is being reviewed!

15. brector

brector SS.org Regular

Another vote for the Alto TS115a. I love mine!

-Brian

16. clintsal

clintsal Humbub

If you are looking for low-cost, I have a AxeFX standard into an Atomic Reactor 18W (older version), and it rocks. Loud enough for a hard-hitting drummer, quiet enough for a bedroom, easily found for ~$300

17. MiPwnYew

MiPwnYew SS.org Regular

I also have an Alto TS112a :lol:

18. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

I am going to pickup a used active JBL EON15 eventually (the higher wattage version).

It will be used mainly to hear my kick drum triggers. While I was researching this the biggest problem people seem to run into is not getting enough volume to be heard through hard drumming. And I was told the JBL can actually handle those types of volumes.

In comparison, the lower wattage version of the EON 15 can't be heard, and lacks low end clarity, because the driver is completely different (smaller magnet, can't hit low low frequencies).

You may be able to find a used one for around $300, and I think that is a pretty good deal for such a powerful device.

19. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Anyone have any suggestions like the Altos? They seem amazing, cheap, perfect for me! But no dealers in Canada. I'm in Vancouver. Maybe I could get them shipped to a PO in the states but that may be a hassle.

20. nangillala

nangillala SS.org Regular

Thanks for the post. Did you test the 12" vs. the 15"? Which did you prefer and why?

Thanks!