Charlie Hunter 8-string Pickups/Modification?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by IonDissonanceIsJesus, Aug 3, 2016.

1. IonDissonanceIsJesus

IonDissonanceIsJesus SS.org Regular

Hi everyone,

This guitar is a f***ing masterpiece and I want to buy it, fit it with .009 - .090 guitar strings and play the living sh** out of it:

http://www.novaxguitars.com/popups/CH8-swaash-trateal-p1.html

I've saved up most of the money already. However, I play a very wide range of styles, from technical/polyrhythmic chaotic metalcore stuff (Danza, Ion Dissonance, 'Dillinger w/8 strings' type sh**) to technical ambient, almost exclusively 4- to 8- finger tapping-run/chordal technoish post-metal/post-rock ('Russian circles but cleaner and much more technical and less "straight-forward rock"-oriented')... I don't f***ing know you get the idea lol.

Anyway, I'm POSITIVE that this CH8 would be perfect for the clean stuff, but I have my doubts concerning its viability to produce a satisfactory "modern death metal/chaotic metalcore"-type tone considering

-the current pickups, which are made by Bartolini ('jazz' pickups?)
    -the configuration of the pickups

My concern with the pickup configuration is the following; to get that nasty f***ing grind/midrange-heavy knarly that I'm looking for on a standard 8 (or a 6 or whatever), I've always of course used the bridge pickup... but on the CH8, the bass pickups are located very far from the bridge and so I doubt I could get that sort of tone. Is my thinking flawed?

If I'm going to pay 3500+ for a guitar I want it to do everything I need it to!

:sharpie: :sharpie: :sharpie: :sharpie: :sharpie:

SO... what do you guys think? If I'm wrong about the two items above, please correct me! Or, if you think my concerns are valid, what do you suggest? Please note that I have no experience routing etc. so that's not an option. I'd certainly be willing to pay someone to do it though, if they were reputable blah blah blah (I saw a thread on here about almost this exact situation, and the dude said he was going to send his CH8 to siggery, also not an option as many of you know all too well...). Lastly, yeah I know I can go get a bada** Oni for about the same price I just don't want to wait 2 years!

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ!

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Yes, the high gain rhythm tone will be pretty bad. You find enough of a problem having just a straight pickup on a multiscale that wide, where it would be in line with the treble bridge pickup. This is even further away. Then there's pickup choice itself.
    What is it you like specifically about the guitar? With the budget you have, you could get something made exactly how you like with at traditional HH setup with properly fanned pickups covering all the strings. The neck pickup could be split to dual output for the bass and guitar thing, or you could get a middle P pickup on the bass strings or something :) There are luthiers with shorter waitlists, check out OAF for a start :)

3. IonDissonanceIsJesus

@EtherealEntity I like the 25" - 28.75 fan, and the look, and I've heard that these things are eminently playable. Also I edited my original post, I would fit the guitar with a set of custom guitar strings (I don't want this guitar so I can play "Charlie Hunter" style, so the stereo option is cool but not essential for what I would want to do).

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Nice dude, yeah I have similar taste to you. I have a 9 string 24.75-29.25" in EADGCFADG style tuning but that's just a normal HH guitar with fanned pickups. I'd love the same kind of thing as this Charlie Hunter guitar but it would be specifically for jazz for me. I am into the black tapewound bass strings that are shown there and use them on some other guitars. I'm hoping to build myself another 9 one day but split as a guitar/tapewound strung bass :) I'd hit up Tom at OAF and see if he'd be willing to build a singlecut 8 with a wide fan, my guess is yes and the wait I'd guess at about 7 months maybe.
    But yeah to answer your question, I would say if you buy this you are going to want to rip the bridge pickup out and get a custom angled one to cover all the strings. Obviously that's a big routing problem..you'd need a pick guard.
    Even extending it with a straight pickup is a problem especially on a fan that wide. Just too far from the bridge for metal imo

5. IonDissonanceIsJesus

Right on, I've never tried the 'bass strings on a guitar' thing but am interested (not for my upcoming 8, but in general... same goes for 9-strings, never tried but definitely interested). My primary 8-string tuning is (low to high) Eb Bb Eb G Eb G Bb D so a neck that only scales to 27" on the long side just isn't going to cut it; this is one of the main reasons I like the CH8 over e.g. Carvin's FF8; the CH8 fan seems well-suited to my tuning. But yeah you're right I can get something comparable for cheaper, I'm just worried after the siggery thing (and I've heard stuff about Halo, etc...).

Thanks for the input about the mod, yeah I couldn't think of a 'good' solution that didn't require major work. F*** it getting a Warr guitar I guess or whatever /thread :lol:

6. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

If you're not getting it to play charlie hunter stuff, my advice would be to go somewhere else.

Oakland Axe Factory was mentioned great guy there with loads of multiscale options from his super short one to regular and long stuff.

Not saying the Novax couldn't do anything other than Charile hunter stuff, but it's his sig, its what it's probably best for at least.

7. IonDissonanceIsJesus

Those OAF's look f***ing sweet. Do you have any other recommendations?

8. rockskate4x

rockskate4x rockskate4x

for metal with an eight string, you need a humbucker close to the bridge. Kindof the minimum requirement. I love the charlie hunter guitar for clean self bass-line accompaniment but it will not deliver the brootz

9. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

Charlie Hunter plays a very unique sound, and honestly most of the time he makes his guitar sound more like an organ piano than a guitar.

Unless you're doing exactly that, I would look elsewhere man. I wouldn't use this setup for high gain/overdrive at all.

10. thinkpad20

thinkpad20 plays guitar??

I'm getting a custom built by Padalka guitars later this year. I haven't played one yet so no guarantee on the quality, but from everything I've seen, his axes are amazing. And he does a lot of multiscale/extended range stuff (mine will be 7 strings 25-26"). Take a look :yesway: