Changing inlay color

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by theleem, May 7, 2012.

1. theleem

theleem SS.org Regular

Hey guys, so I just picked up a 7321 a few weeks ago, and I'm trying to do a little bit of customization on it, changing pickups, nut, tuners, etc. Another thing I want to do is change the color of the inlays to match the red pickups I'm getting. I was just wondering if there is an effective way to do this without drilling out the old inlays, maybe a cover of some kind? Frankly I don't have the skill or equipment to do this at the moment, and I don't want to take the risk of ruining the neck.

Sorry if this question has been asked already, but I did a search and couldn't find any answers that didn't involve drilling the old inlays out. Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

They have decals to cover them. I don't have the link handy but I know folks here have used them.

3. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

4. asher

asher So Did We

They last a while before the top clear layer starts to peel off (I think this is very shape dependent, also) and don't really leave anything when they come off. They also look surprisingly good - stuck PRS birds on my acoustic and had pyramids on my old 7421.

5. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

6. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

The inlay stickers are pretty okay. I used the birds and they stayed on and looked good for quite a while. After a few months the clear layer peeled off as Asher mentioned but they still looked good after that and didn't peel any more.

7. theleem

theleem SS.org Regular

Nice, thanks you guys!