CHALLENGE! Kevin Shields' pedal board. can you beat it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by signalgrey, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

^ Theres a Gig-Fx one i've had my eye on for a while now. Kind of a cross between a Tremolo, a wah, and a slicer. Crazy crazy shit :yesway:

2. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Quote from the mighty Wiki on Shield's guitar sound...

The other guy who was notorious for this back in the 70s was Frank Marino, although he's since scaled down what he brings on the road. Apparently his pedal board took three people to move at one stage, but was a similar set-up to Shields'; lots of the same pedals, just on different settings. Unfortunately I kind find pics of it, but apparently the core effects were different fuzz pedals, echoplexes, phasers and flangers, plus and octave pedal and a wah.

Personally, I love stompboxes for the textures they can create, and the phaser, flanger and delay pedals on my pedal board are a really big part of my sound. A lot of the time I'll do the EVH thing and switch them in and out for just a couple of notes. Andy Summers is another really big influence on how I use them, especially the flanger.
    I really like that simple set up, as I can get a huge variety of sounds with just a few pedals and some experimentation with the settings. The only thing I'd really like to add is the Digitech Synth Wah.:lol:

3. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

It's interesting, I'm as much of a post rock/metal guitarist as I am a death metal or post hardcore player, but I only ever use the Boost+EQ stomp for my distortion sounds on my POD, and for leads I use some 'verb and delay, but nothing else, no compression, no modulation effects. Some wah on leads from time to time, but that's pretty standard fare I guess anyway. I guess I'm more of a "plug straight in" guy I guess.
    I'm a huge Omar Rodriguez-Lopez fan however, and I love his use of heaps of effects and noises in At The Drive In and The Mars Volta, so I can certainly appreciate both approaches to the instrument.

4. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

Omar ive never liked. I dont know what it is about him or his playing but ive never liked it.
    ^
    Ive never been a compression guy either, i give props to you for being able to just plug in. its never as satisfying for me unless i can add that third dimension with some verb or delay.

5. distressed_romeo

Another non-compression guy here. I got one for slide playing and clean-toned tapping stuff, but ended up selling it, as I never got a single tone I was really happy with out of it. Even for slide, where conventional wisdom is that you need one, I prefer to do without. One of my favourite slide players is Brett Garsed, and he doesn't use one, so...

6. Daemoniac

+1,000 for a Digitech Synth Wah there :lol: One of those many pedals i've been meaning to buy for the last 3 years. I wanted to wait until i finished this new rig before i got one tho, wasn't sure if it would be necessairy. Turns out, nothing is "necessairy" any more, just more sounds for the vault :evil:

7. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm becoming somewhat of a pedal whore but it's mainly for my solo stuff versus my power metal band. I've always dug stuff, especially the way Mastodon use it, that has tons of reverb and echo, delay you name it. I'm also tempted to pick up a foot pedal so that I can do swells with my pedals ala Paul Gilbert's Flanger trick :

8. darbdavys

darbdavys SS.org Regular

I can beat it.

With a hammer

9. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

For the record, when I made my comment about duplicate/similar pedals on a pedal board. I didn't mean that using them in conjunction can't have awesome effects. In that case I understand and endorse it. I was speaking, specifically, to the notion that, say, having 2 big muffs on a gigging board, 1 each for 2 different songs, would be noticeable enough to warrant both.

10. Daemoniac

^ Ah yeah, fair call. I still see the use in a sense, but by the same token i really think you can tweak it or leave it ;) (unless you have to re-tweak 20 different pedals and so on :ugh:)

11. signalgrey

since ive been in korea ive collected a fairly modest pedal board. I miss my big one cause i loved being able to change stuff on the fly and experiment with settings. I used my Giga Delay to have my saved settings, but then i always had my other delays that i just fucking put in the weirdest settings.

little bit of controlled randomness.

Ive never heard of Paul Gilberts flanger thing. Although that flanger (ADA) is fucking insane. Ive used my friends one. it would be cool to have a series of those pedals that sweep like that connected to various pedals. hmmm. pedal board idea brewing.

ever seen the trailer trash pedal boards?

id like to try something like that. organized and funcional but chaotic.

12. MFB

MFB ExBendable

$200 for a pedal board seems a bit steep in my book, I'll probably end up making my own 2 level board cause I'm cheap :lol:

13. Variant

Variant Banned

Yeah, my Slicer is amazing for feeding other things (like my G5 guitar synths for instance, because the cut forces the LFO to restart, generating pulse rhythms and whatnot), you can do similar cool things with the M13 by putting delays at the front of the chain, with 100% regen to build up swell routines to feed synths/filters and what not, then echos/reveb after again for the ambiance. :cool: Then tweak away with the expression pedals for madness!

My gripes with the Slicer is the same with most Boss pedals :noplease:, utter lack of programability and MIDI (well, beyond beat sync), and minimal continuous control (only one parameter, NOT through a dedicated CC, and not the MIDI). And that's why it's spec'd to "mount on the mic stand" on my sketch, as you have to hand change programs. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to track one of these babies down, as they include a full computer interface for setting up sequences, arpeggiations, etc. for all sorts of killer effects. Next on the list of must haves, it is! :yoda:

[​IMG]

Watch the whole video, there is some awesome beat sync effects in there, that if you've got a good imagination you could do awesome things with in combination with other effects.

I can't find anything off the shelf that I like so I'm building mine from scratch. It'll be two boards (per the side view illustration) connected by a piano hinge at the front, with all the pedals mounted cleanly on the top, and all the wiring connects underneath the top board. I plan to leave it all open (not box it in) and actually wire things up intentionality sloppy, and add a bunch of extra wires, hoses, grating, circuit boards, etc. then backlight the between section (which is seen from the audience side) so they've got this awesome post-apocalyptic mess to look at. :yesway: The two boards will be connected by several thick clear tubes (regular Home Depot shit) and will have those outdoor, garden perimeter lights in them, hopefully blue and pulsing. :evil:

14. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

My Bloody Valentine is awesome.
    Even if some of the distortions are nasty there is a HUGE amount of reverb and other stuff on top of that. The result is a dreamy, ethereal, and strangely beautiful.

But what is music but a succession of sounds?

But putting silly arguments aside I kinda like to play with the "music vs sound" aspect. Some things I play with be more oriented towards intelligible notes and progressions while other stuff I will purposely loosen the sense of pitch to take advantage of rhythm and/or texture.

As strange as I am, I don't think I'll ever top that board, I'm crazy enough with even just one crappy multifx unit, I even made a "theremin" patch once.

15. distressed_romeo

Incidentally, MBV's guitar sound is just as much due to technique as gear; Shields has said in the past that the open tunings they use, and his approach to the whammy bar, are just as important as their stompboxes.

16. signalgrey

^ im glad you brought that up, alot of people think its merely strumming one chord with a shit load of effects on it.