CHALLENGE! Kevin Shields' pedal board. can you beat it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by signalgrey, Jul 23, 2009.

1. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

Actually that's a good point, one this whic strikes me is all the small shitty power adapters which are available, incredible.

I understand that each company has got a marketing reason behind such thing, but i can swap and change my battery charger between my nikon DSLR, my minolta digital, a sony camcorder and even 2 of my old CD players...

maybe uniformity should be the next big thing in the music industry ... of course from a pedal power supply point of view...

2. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

it would be a nice place to start. thats for fucks sure.

3. maat

maat 'stortion junkie

Yuppers. Still, try not to let the sycophantic snobbery get to ya.

4. abysmalrites

abysmalrites ---

And this is where the term 'shoegaze' originated.

5. HammerAndSickle

HammerAndSickle Guitar Comrade

I'm more of a fan of creating textures through MUSIC, not sound. I have a ton of effects that I play with but really, I much prefer using a certain type of chord or arpeggio to create the mood moreso than a wall of effects.

6. Ramsay777

Ramsay777 Is an A7X fan

Justin Chancellor of Tool springs to mind......

Sick bassist :metal:

I think this is quite an old picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Thank God for multi-effect units. :lol:

8. signalgrey

it is kinda fun have so many "preciousssssss"

love me a pedal collection.

9. Ze Kink

Ze Kink the black wizards

And the funny thing is, Kevin used to use very little pedals back when the MBV stuff was recorded. Something like just a dirt pedal and the Yamaha reverb (can't remember the exact model) with the reverse setting. Nowadays his rig is totally massive, but I bet it kills live too. Since he's got something like 11 amps on stage, I'd guess most of those pedals are split into different chains for different amps, not all in a row.

But yeah, I love MBV and huge boards :wub: I love djenting my 7 and 8-strings, but I also love playing Shoegaze and Post-Rock with my Jazzmaster and tons of fuzz and delay.

10. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Someone needs a GT-8 for Christmas :lol:

11. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

This statement works with the assumption that using effects can not be creating music. I'd strongly disagree.

I'm definitely more in line with the industrial music mentality(so, plenty of effects) vs. straight metal or post-rock/shoe gazing but... BUT...

Where I personally find pedal madness to cross the line is when there's 3 different phasers on someone's gigging board or 7 big muffs. Sure, in recordings there may be slight differences between the different pedals but, live, the difference is going to be lost in the noise. So, basically, have 50 DIFFERENT pedals if it works for you but having a bunch that just do the same thing is retarded.

12. Variant

Variant Banned

^
    :agreed:

Obviously he hasn't seen the pile o' stuff that's going on my board(s).

13. signalgrey

retardedly awesome.

i know its a bit much but sometimes when the pedal all interact you get some seriously unique effects.

kick ass!

14. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

I enjoy using different verisons of the same effect together :agreed: I mean, assuming you have the patience to tweak it/fix the sound up, then you really can come up with some truly amazing effects and textures.

Ultimately, regardless of how anyone uses it or whatever, it's for the player to decide if they need/want to use it, and for the listener to decide whether they like it. :shrug: If someone told me (like they have already) that an M13 and Pod isnt necessairy and is overkill, would i listen? No. Why? I can see a use for it as a player, and will hear the difference, irrespective of what anyone listening will think.

15. signalgrey

same here hahhaaaaa

16. Splees

Splees splees

I'm glad I'm not the only one here. There was a time in my life when I had three delays, two big muffs, phasers, two reverbs, three ods, among many other things... basically a buttload of pedals, but that's not metal.

17. signalgrey

3 fuzzes, 3 different delays, 2 reverbs, 2 pitch shifters, 2 phasers...set to KILL!

love it

18. Variant

Variant Banned

:yesway:

Right now, with our current project, The Surfacing, we're looking to put a lot of sections of grandiose moving textures into the songs, like say Opeth does but in a more ambient manner, and on my part as a guitar player those sounds are painted by my diversity of gear. Also, as a lead player, I don't like the idea of having the same friggen' sound everytime I do something like a solo or a phrase, so having variety in my rig is important.

Here's a very shitty sketchup of how my pedalboard is panning out now:

[​IMG]

The cluster on the right is basically the secondary board, with two paths through a GCX switcher, and that sends back to the main board. I may physically arrange them in a single row with the pedals to make them easier to toe tap (some don't have MIDI program change :(), but that's the general gist of it. :cool:

Really, what catches me off as really cool is not just having some unique and flexible boxes in my arsenal, but the magic that happens when you start using them in combinations with each other in ways that others may likely have not. Some really awesome stuff pops out of the monitors when you get crazy. That's why I'm so exited to actually get everything wired and MIDI'd up at once.

19. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

^ :bowdown: Holy shit... Want... :lol: My plan has always been noise. THere are such incredible sounds you can get from various pedals and effects, as long as you're prepared to let it sit and do next to nothing ;) I mean, put a tremolo in sync with a synth swell, with some distortion and a noise gate... you basically have a percussion instrument right there :shrug:

I just wish i could afford more pedals right now :( The Devi Ever pedals and Moogerfooger ones are particularly appealing, though there are a plethora of others which have caught my eye (as im sure you of all people can imagine :lol:)

20. signalgrey

ive been using a boss slicer pedal for some seriously fun effects. if you guys ever get a chance try one out.