CHALLENGE! Kevin Shields' pedal board. can you beat it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by signalgrey, Jul 23, 2009.

1. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

boss hyper-fuzz is a really fun way to start if you interested in Fuzz stuff.

2. ralphy1976

ralphy1976 1 less ERGNESS

i did try a fuzz last week (old fuzz pedal, you know the one with the UK flag and valves) it sound ok, but i was after some distortion pedal which could handle 7 and 8 strings. I found that, so next on my list of toys is a wha / volume pedal and a roll of duct tape to tape my F%^&^%G volume pot which i keep on knocking off all the time!!

3. signalgrey

yeah fuzzes dont work so well with full chords. the graphic fuzz from EHX is pretty sweet though for that kinda stuff. i use it on my baritone all the time. iits good if you can mx it withe the distortion

4. ralphy1976

i did find that the fuzz i was trying could not really handle 8 or 7 strings power chords (i was testing it on a RG2228 kind of killing 2 birds with 1 stone!!) where as the pedal i got had no trouble whatsoever.

i did like the warmth from the fuzz (fuzz = cops in UK slang by the way!!) it felt reassuring!!!

5. signalgrey

as in HOT FUZZ?

brilliant flick

6. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

I really like to hear creative use of pedals so as long as they're controllable and put to good use I don't think its too excessive. Heck, not something I would do personally but all power to him/them if he enjoys that style of tap dancing :)

7. ralphy1976

AMEN my friend!!!! indeed brilliant flick, i can remember watching it in the cinema and laughing so much i nearly fell off my chair, to my ex-missus discomfort!!!! :hbang::shred:

8. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

Beat me to it :lol: That's definitely not it though :eek: Not at all...

:yesway: I'd murder Reznor for his collection...

A lot of his stuff is in a studio. I had pics of it somewhere, but i cant remember where :nuts: It's a sight, i'll say that.

Theres no way he could run it all live, there's too many pedals... But the amount of insane fx, weird layers, and textures on stuff like Year Zero, its no real surprise :nuts:

When i have money, the pedal board i have planned out is going to be fucking incredible :flex: Many many Zvex pedals, and a shitload of filters :yesway:

9. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

in that entire thread about kevins pedal board this stuck out the most

quote]
    His tech brings along a trunk filled with hundreds of different pedals
    end quote]

it looks like he just does what his tech tells him is cool .
    TECH- "hey check this out kevin, it has a picture of porkey the pig, that would be cool oif you put it between the pedal you never use and this pedal you sometimes use!

KEVIN- uhhh ok.

10. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

I love being on a board full of metal heads sometimes, because they never see anything but their own way....

The whole "does it cover up your playing" arguement, probably, but do people listen to these kind of bands for the 20 minute shred-wank solos, or for the textures and atmosphere?

Not everyone takes an ONLY DISTORTION look at effects, a lot of people like to add a lot of atmosphere, different textures, different sounds, different moods etc with the music, so using a boatload of effects works for some styles of music.

maat likes this.
  11. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate. Contributor

:wavey: Hi, my name is Mischa, and i like waves of modulation madness.

12. ralphy1976

i whole heartdly agree with you there Stuh, adn that's why i was asking the question. Add chorus to an acoustic guitar and you may not be able to "hide being the effects" to hide your incompetence....however, with the beauty of electronics, you can isolate those "undesirable" noises and perhaps not totally remove them but not far from it, wouldn't you say?

then again not everyone can or wants to play acoutic or clean stright into an amp!!!

13. signalgrey

i agree, as ive gotten older as a musician i use less distortion and i might seriously die with out my delay and reverbs. i love creating tone and moods n stuff. not all the time i mean i love to rock too but the most satisfying stuff for me is "texturing" whether it be heavy or soft.

i agree though it is fun being on a board full of metal heads. props to you guys too. but sometimes all i read is DJENT! Br00talz! etc.. anyway to each their own right

secret handshake to my texture creating companions! ive finally found you.

14. ralphy1976

Kinky!!!!! :agreed:

15. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

i love my Boss GT8

16. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Yes you could, but as I said, some people really don't care about trying to be 100% technically correct, as long as they achieve the right atmosphere.

It's all about the approach, people on here have a tendency to want to do nothing but chug or shred, hell I know way too many people who have no idea what a clean channel is used for. I try and cover all aspects, good metal parts, but adding effects, clean parts etc when needed to evoke a certain mood.

As much as people would like to tell you otherwise, the gamut of moods that a heavily distorted guitar can portray are not as much as using a heavily distorted guitar in one context, and then a reversed clean sound, phaser, chorus etc in another can.

17. matty2fatty

matty2fatty SS.org Regular

I'm convinced that first board is actually some sort of time machine, used to predict the next wave of indie coolness.

"Lo-fi Hi-fi 8-bit midi orchestral cut-time disco? Ok guys, lets do it!'

**full disclosure: At the moment I'm listening to some ridiculously pretentious 90's indie rock***

18. signalgrey

as long as the fashion from this past wave of indie rock dies i dont care what it sounds like.

19. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Wow those are some impressive pedal collections..
    but i imagine that guy from MBV could be in quiet a cluster-fuck if a connection fails somewhere in all that madness
    I like the more neat and organized pedal set-ups, like Mike from Incubus or Munky from Korn.

I'm currently running through 2 wahs, a digitech whammy, digitech phaser, and boss delay, flanger, chorus, super shifter/harmonizer, and tremolo. Plus the footswitch for my Peavey and the FBV floorboard for the Line 6.
    It's not a lot, but even my small rig can be a pain in the ass at times.

20. signalgrey

i have about the same amount as you perhaps one or two more. it is definately a pain in the ass. line 6 has different voltage, vox has different voltage. my powered pedal board only runs certain voltages and will just drop out occasionally.

but i suppose if i was paying a tech to get my shit right id be ok with 90 million pedals. hahaha