Ch-ibanez Iceman to Ice-maiden Strip/mod

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Omzig, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:17 PM.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

So a few years ago i picked up this Floyd equipped Iceman copy (it's totally unbranded and was never sold as an ibanez,and all in all it's a pretty nice guitar,mahogany body ebony FB with MOP inlays (all well cut and fitted) Bound cnc cut body,Maple neck (nice not to fat to thin profile) and so so hardware...bad bits...hack ass cavity routing and poor paint job/clear

So as this was sitting in a case getting no play i thought id have at it while i await for some parts to arrive for other stuff im working on

[​IMG]

First thing is all the clear and paint has to come off this as its going to have a satin white re finished with and iridescent finger nail glitter mixed/suspended in the clear coat (that's to LiveOVErdrive for the glitter inspiration)

[​IMG]

& As i have a thing for HS layouts atm (of HH with a single sized H rail in the neck position) ive blocked and filled the pup cavity's so i can re-route them as direct mounts

[​IMG]

I got a few floyd's kicking about the place (a 3000 model,some copies,a ping and a edge III) so i might just be able to clean up the floyd route without having to fill re-route it,need to check what fits (once i find the box with them in lol) im also going to add an small edge bevel to the bodies rear,not sure if i should keep or paint over the binding yet.....

updates once i do more stuff ;)

Cheers
    Steve

Kyle01, Ivars V, nedheftyfunk and 2 others like this.
  2. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Sweet. Just FYI it takes a LOT of clear coat to get a level surface on top of glitter. Smaller flecks will probably help.

3. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

tagged for interest

4. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

thanks for the info :) The above image makes this glitter look massive infact the large snowflakes are only about 3-4 mm

I'll be having a play with thinning the epoxy with different carriers,im pretty sure the 90% acetone i have will eat the gliitter well before it evaporates so i have a bottle of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol coming that shouldn't be so aggressive (if any one has any other suggestions for a thinner/carrier please speak up)

the other 2 glitters i have to play with are

[​IMG]

Which are even finer that the first,got a lot of prep to do but i think this should be a pretty cool effect over the white finish,plan is grain fill with thinned epoxy (this is why the original finish wa..so bad no grain filler) - satin white x2 coats - thinned clear epoxy coat - glitter/thinned epoxy coats x 2 - clear thinned epoxy top coats.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  5. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I've always wanted an Iceman. I'm curious to see this progress!

6. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

Curious to see how this turns out. I like the idea

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Interested to see how this turns out as well. Cool idea!

8. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

I wouldn't thin the epoxy at all. Brush it on thick and let it do its thing. Assuming you get the stuff that's made for flowing a clear coat.

Oh man if I've learned one thing about the stuff though it is that you need to carefully follow the mixing instructions EXACTLY. If you don't, it will never harden and always be sticky. And then you can't even sand it off because the sandpaper will just stick to it and gum up immediately. Ruined my latest guitar body that way :(

bostjan likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

noooo not the explorer

10. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Wow sorry to hear it's gone a bit tits up with the epoxy :( Ive read about such problems while researching and it seems ppl have managed to get sticky finishes to cure by excluding air,either by lightly wrapping in plastic wrap/clingfilm or covering with a coat of wax,if you still have the body kicking about it's worth giving that a try for a few days Good luck

LiveOVErdrive likes this.