Cepheus Alpha Pickups for 8 string??

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Joshua_Bolling, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Joshua_Bolling

Joshua_Bolling Joshua_Bolling

Hey you guys, i just bought the new Schecter Omen 8, and the pickups are freakin' terrible. Soo, this leaves me in a desperate struggle for new pickups. I've been debating on either Bareknuckle pickups(which are TOO expensive) or the Cepheus Alpha 8 Pickup for the bridge. I've heard good reviews on both of the pickups, but the problem is, i don't know which to get. I heard that the Cepheus Alpha pickup sounds close to a Lundgren M8. So, i'd personally like to get the Cepheus, just because it's in a good price range, rather than spending $300 on a calibrated set from Barekuckle.

So, for the Cepheus Alpha pickup, Would it be a good pickup for a 'Djenty' kinda thing? Also, would it be good for shredding and so on?

The Schecter Omen 8 has terrible pickups and i need a quick replacement before i go crazy. It sucks when you buy a brand new guitar, and when you get it, it's not what you think it would.

So i'd really appreciate it if someone could help me find the pickups i need.
    Please and thankyou :D

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery.

Split the difference and go for a set of DiMarzio D-Activator 8s. I recently tried them in a Schecter ATX8 and they killed. They didn't sound like the 6 or 7-string variants, but tight and powerful with just enough low end to give you some thump.

I'm kinda bummed that I don't have a non-fanned 8-string to put them in. :lol:

3. Joshua_Bolling

Well I've heard bad and good things about the d-activators. Do you think a cepheus alpha on the bridge and a d-activator in the neck for shredding would be a good mix?

4. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Also keep the Lace pickups in mind, which are passives. The X-Bar 4.0 and the DeathBar 4.0 should be drop-in replacements for the Omen stock pickups.

If your previous experience or information about the D-Activators has been with the 6 or 7-string version, bear in mind that the 8-string version is voiced very differently despite having the same name. DiMarzio also makes a PAF-8 that might interest you.

5. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

cepheus alpha is extremely similar to the M8. its good for the money.
    I'd go for the d-activators.

6. Joshua_Bolling

I see. It's hard trying to find the right pickups that fit my style, but I think I might go with the d-activators :D. I might also try out a Cepheus or something soon.
    Thanks everyone for your help, its helped me out a lot!