Carvin TS100 Poweramp

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by David, Jul 3, 2006.

1. David

David je t'aime Contributor

I've had this for quite a while, and I thought it would be nice to post up a review for anyone looking for a cheap tube-poweramp.

[​IMG]

Features: 10
    Features on a poweramp? No I am not smoking weed... It can switch between EL34's and 6L6 tubes. To bias them, you only need to flip a switch on the inside. It has 2 channels, 100W and 50W. It operates at 4, 8, and 16 ohms. You can also bridge the 100W, or have it 2x50W Stereo. I'm not tech-savy, so I have no clue what that means, but tehre is a switch for it! The front of it is metal I'm guessing? and it's shiny, and I can see myself in it.

Sound: 9
    Obviously, it just amplifies the sound, and there isn't much more to it... but, w/o the tubes, cleans are very dry and stale. When you turn up the tubes though, it's all of a sudden warms up and just sounds great. It has a perfect, natural tube reverb, which Line 6 has failed to deliver properly on their POD products.=D When you turn up the presence of the tubes, you can hear it gradually getting gainier, and gainier, with distortion on. Full blast is just fucking awesome! I noticed for a while, that it sounds much more metal when it's in a room that's like 80 degrees. The instructions say to let the tubes warm up for a good 30 seconds, but to get the true intensity of the tubes, leave it on for at least 2 minutes, and it'll just roar.

Build: 7
    It looks all nice and all... very clean, but I just get the impression that if I were to smack it with something, the thing would break off like no toher. The knobs feel as if they could be broken off if I were to apply some pressure to it. I've also read some reviews about the screws on the top being stripped after taking the cover off. I haven't taken it off yet, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Worth: 10
    I think it's worth the $500.:yesway: It's clean, and it has some powerful tubes in it which combined with my XT Live, pwn the shit out of so many other people's rigs.

Loudness?: 10
    Depends. I can the 100W channel at 25% and play in my house without bothering the neighbors next door (townhouse, thin 6" thick wall). But, if I turn it up to 50%, my neighbors 2 doors over can hear it... and all the way, well, you better be in a big room or outside... because it goes fuckin LOUD. Basically, the beginning is very loose for low-level playing, and as you turn it up, the volume level gets touchy when you turn the knob. A little turn makes a lot of difference. As we all know, the louder you make a tube amp, the better it sounds.:yesway:

Overall: 9.2=):yesway:

I don't really know what other sections there would be about a poweramp...

2. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

i had one of these right off the first 100 made and then and now feel it is not loud enuff to cut through a band...playing in a rehersal...SOUNDS great at low volumes....good luck with it....they are always on ebay!!!

3. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

Im kinda regretting selling mine...I mean, I didn't have anything to use with it, but I still have the 8 space rack and it's bitching at me to feed it with gear :(

4. David

I've gigged it 3 times already, and it works fine. Not even mic'd, but the places were pretty small anyway. I suggested the amp to a friend, who then bought it. His doesn't amplify the volume at the same rate that mine does, meaning how much you turn the knob, vs. how loud it is. His is a bit quieter, and it gets chunky at loud volumes.:noway:

I guess I got lucky, because the louder you crank it, the smoother it gets.

5. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

TS100 is a great sounding poweramp. As usual with Carvin, you get excellent quality for a very fair price.

The only thing I'd say is, I wouldn't quite say the features are 10, when there's power amps like 2:90s out there that can do all kinds of special functions like "deep", "half-power" and "modern" etc. Sure, you don't necessarily need this, and I'm obviously biased cuz I use a 2:90, but it would be cool if all poweramps had things like this :)

But, it's your review not mine :) Just my $0.02!

6. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

As usual with Carvin, you get excellent quality for a very fair price.
    The only thing I'd say is, I wouldn't quite say the features are 10, when there's power amps like 2:90s out there that can do all kinds of special functions like "deep", "half-power" and "modern" etc. Sure, you don't necessarily need this, and I'm obviously biased cuz I use a 2:90, but it would be cool if all poweramps had things like this

I agree 100% Zimmy!:idea:

7. David

well I didn't know that, haha.:fawk:

good to know though, thanks.:yesway:

8. Nipples

Nipples \m/

I own one too, and Id really like a deep, modern switch. It doesnt need a 1/2 power switch though.

But the thing it does have over the Mesas is the ability to bridge to mono.

9. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

dude, you pimped the living shit out of that thing. you should be proud that you were able to finally sell it :D

10. Scott

Scott Aye. Contributor

Yeah I know. I ended up ebaying it again, and like, 2 weeks later I think someone on here was looking for one :mad:

11. velocity

velocity yes... i AM faster

i was going to ask you if you still had it. now i want to try a tube power amp with my rig...