Carvin Legacy 2 head

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by tuttermuts, Oct 14, 2009.

1. tuttermuts

tuttermuts SS.org Regular

My first review here :wavey:

The Carvin legacy 2 head
    I had a powerball just before that and was looking for something that would give me: a better clean, better lead/solo sound. I've had the legacy head for a few months now.
    This one delivers both that, the clean is warm. Especially if you turn it up a little. But at the same time it's very good at the fast funk type of playing as well, the warmth doesn't make the bass drag.
    The boost channel seemed like nothing special at first, but I find myself using it more and more. It's not the typical "ac/dc" channel you'd expect. It's more of a clean with a little edge on it. That's also just what it is really, because it uses the cleans eq btw.
    Both clean and boost have a presence button, they make a good difference.

Now ofcourse the topping of this cake: the lead channel.
    First thing that I would say is plexi. On the other hand I've never played one, and what I can tell from what I've heard so far, this is a little bit more on the modern side.
    It's heavenly for playing solos, yeah ofcourse good ol Vai is behind the idea.
    But regardless of that even, it'll do some pretty decent brown sounds as well.

Now metal: it's a whole other story, the net is full of arguments for and against.
    It won't do metal out of the box, unfortunate but I gotta call it what it is.
    You can go a pretty long way though by doing some going pretty extreme with the eq and diming the presence. The gain stays where it is around 6-7 though. Any more just makes it a little mushy. And that will do something "mkay".

But I do however hope/trust in the amps capability with effects. I run a digitech gsp2101 in the loop for effects right now. And the tone degradation is minimal. The noise is bareable. I'd use the build in noise gate of the gsp but it just sucks.
    I've read of people using with pedals with great succes though (both fx and drives/distortions/fuzz...).

It's VERRY loud btw, good thing they put a master vol on this one. I don't go past 3 (not o'clock, 3rd numering) on rehearsals and that'll cut it.

The wattage switch doesn't get any use from me, it seemed handy at first, but it doesn't really do anything special to the sound (atleast so far).

Midi implementation is great! easy peasy, just hold down the button of the channel you need assinged, hold down the other 2 and then let go, while the led of the channel flashes, use your midi switch you want and presto.

It seems verry wel constructed, can't complain in that departement.
    One thing though, use quality cables with this one, if it's got noise the amp will let you know.

So there, this thing schreds like nobody's business.
    I'll probably update it once I have a seven or some more fx in my hands.
    (edit: and when I got some more opportunities to really crank it, I could view the metal thing entirely diffirent by then)
    (and another edit: it's running EL34's now, somewhere down the line I'll put in some 5881's (6L6gc's). Who knows?)

2. Les Paul Gibson

Les Paul Gibson SS.org Regular

cool, I played the 1st Legacy, it had some nice tones, smooth gain. This amp looks really nice, I just wish I could find them in the stores..

3. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

I was drooling over these a little while ago. Not very pricey either! Maybe i'll pick one of these or the V3 up next year.

4. tuttermuts

tuttermuts SS.org Regular

hey guys update after a looooong time of tweaking this ere thingy=> powerbreack, turns it into a beast, no not a metal beast, but really smooth classic yet verry saturated tones.
    I was thinking of going to another amp but she can stay for a bit longer :)
    I get plenty of chugga out of it actually (with mids! ...yes sir!)