Carvin/ Kiesel comparable to PRS?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Wolfos, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

Hey guys I'm buying a 6 string before I get a house this summer so it will probably be my last guitar (maybe) and I want to make the right choice.

I'm really digging the PRS ce24 and custom 24 models but recently have been seeing a few Carvin CT6T models (basically their version of a PRS) on reverb at a pretty good price.

I think they look pretty nice but since there completely custom ordered there's no way I can play one to judge it. The model that I'm looking at on reverb actually has better wood choices than the PRS models I was saving up for and it's about $700CAD cheaper too. The only info I can find on them are from owners who gush over the quality until I read that terrible Kiesel thread a few links down from here *shudder.*

Can anyone else help explain Carvin/Kiesel a bit better for me ? Should I drop $2200+ on a PRS or $1400 total on a nice looking Carvin CT6T? I have to note the carvin will be used so I can't return it if I don't like it.

Thanks in advance!

2. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

3. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

4. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

lol no
    and lol at "my last guitar"
    famous last words. uttered by everyone at one time or another.

6. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

lol what a troll thread.. admit it, you made this just to get 50 pages of kiesel bashing going on.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

:shrug: i have no idea. if it was me, I'd just buy the guitar I want. If you want the kiesel, get it. if you want the prs, get it.

8. Seventhwave

Seventhwave SS.org Regular

Having owned both... IMO, nope.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

No man not at all like I said I cant try one out so I don't know how they play. I've had a dozen people tell me how great they are and haven't heard a bad thing until that kiesel thread.

10. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

The prs is more expensive for a reason.

11. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

I have a carvin ct424m
    I could afford a prs but went with a carvin simply because what i was looking for wasnt available in prs in that particular price range. Didnt want to go custom shop on it.

Carvins are decent.
    Up until recently, never truely got along with any prs, safe for a few here and there.

If i was to do it all again, id go with prs perhaps.

12. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Owned both, still have multiple PRS guitars. IMHO based on my experience nope. YMMV

13. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Well I just mean, a quick look on this site and you wont get any unbiased opinions on the quality of Kiesels on these forums. People hate them so much, that they forget about the guitars themselves.

If you want my opinion, I would take a no-issue Kiesel or Carvin over PRS. I've had both, my Carvin ST300 would probably be taken over any guitar I can think of.. Its my only "forever" guitar. And for the price/value, I would take a CT6 or CT7 under $2k vs a $6k+ PRS. But the issue nowadays with Kiesel is getting one without issues. Ordering new is a risk. If you are buying used, and it has stainless steel frets, and the rest of the specs are what you want, then I'd buy a used Carvin over a new PRS, yes. Try to play it first, make sure its not a lemon, but my last used CT6 at $1500 CDN was a complete badass guitar, kinda wish I didn't sell it. For my preferences, I would take it over any PRS not from their private stock. If you have to order both new, I'd probably go PRS through a dealer so you can return it if there are issues.

But as we've seen people say in the other thread, apparently a $200 chinese guitar is better than a K-Series Kiesel. Thats the opinion of most people these days because of the hatred spawned from their poor customer service. While I get the customer service is a major issue, to discredit the guitars completely because of it, is just comical, but not surprising of an internet forum.

14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Since you can actually try the PRS first, go buy it.

15. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

The 3 Carvins I had would stand up to any guitar. They played as good as any PRS or anything I played. They stacked up to my 4k Parker in playability. I had 2 solid color ones and one flamed maple one and they finish was top notch as well as the wood selections. I moved them because I went back to 6 strings, but I would have kept them other than that.

So are they as good as PRS? In my experience, with the 3 I had, absolutely. Now it seems since Jeff took over the company and they became Kiesel, .... has gone down hill. I'm seeing bad press about them everywhere.

So in summary, I would absolutely order a Carvin with the same confidence as a PRS say, 5 years ago.(And a fraction of the price). A CNC is a CNC when it comes to making a guitar playable. These days though, Kiesel seems like a bag of dicks the way they treat their customers in addition to the manufacturing blunders they make and then won't address makes me say stay far away.

Anyway, thats MY experience.

(The resale value on a PRS also stays high while Kiesel/Carvin goes in the pooper)

16. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Come on guys, Carvin/Kiesel produce great guitars, don't let their ....ty customer service situation at the present moment get in the way of enjoying a good guitar. As someone else said, a used CT/CS with stainless steel frets, multiply neck and the finish you want is unbeatable in quality & playability per $. Then you have much much more than enough cash left to change the pickups to get the exact tone you want.

17. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Maybe the build and design issues are only present on their newer models.

18. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

It's so easy to find a used PRS in great shape for $1,400 that I would never consider the alternative. It's already taken the depreciation hit, so if you don't end up liking it you wouldn't lose nearly as much as you would on the new Carvin. I'm not even the biggest PRS fan, but it's hard to beat the value of a used one.

19. kherman

kherman SS.org Regular

+1

I own "Carvins" . 1989 thru 2011. They are well built instruments. I would say on par to Ibby Prestige, ESP E-II, Jackson USA Select, Gibson USA, Etc..
    Basically a good USA production with the ability to do upgrades.
    Most people's complaints back then weren't about the build quality. But, about pickups and electronics. Which most people swap out anyways, no matter the guitar brand. So, I would say it puts Carvin in between PRS S2 and Core.
    I personally like the Lithiums, M22sd and H22n pickups. I've only had issues with their active electronics. Never with the passives. Most people bag on the electronics because they are not Orange drop caps and CTS pots.
    In that whole time '89-'11. I only had to send two guitars back. My Yellow ST. The original Schaller Floyd II stripped out. They replaced it with a Kahler Steeler. No issues. Under warranty.
    The other was my '02 white DC727. The original had a truss rod issue. They built me a complete new one. No issues. Under warranty.

I'm sad to see what's going on since the split. I really don't care for a lot of the new models. I don't like how they're slowly getting rid of the "Carvin" branded guitars. I don't like how they're restricting options now. Everything seems like it's becoming an option 50. So, I understand a lot of peoples frustration with Kiesel.
    Price hikes haven't helped either. For what I'd want, it would cost close to, if not over, the 2K mark now. I won't spend that on any guitar. So, that puts me in the used markets these days.
    Plus, my tastes have changed. I've been getting back into LPs. So, my last guitar was a Gibby LP Sig T. The other company everyone likes to bag on.:lol:

Attached Files:

20. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

Sometimes. And that's not a poke, its a fact.