Carvin Dilemma - Should it stay or should it go?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by The Logician, Jun 10, 2012.

1. The Logician

The Logician The Smurfslayer

Hello, Forum --

I am a 16 year-old guitarist from Portland, OR, and I've recently gotten into seven-string guitars (I know I may seem young and noobish, but I get by). Anyway, I bought a Carvin DC727 a few months ago for about $925 (before shipping).

Here are the things I like about the guitar:
    -The finish is flawless (the color combo is gaudy, but I like it that way).
    -The neck, while cumbersome at first, became comfortable quite quickly.
    -It's not heavy at all!

However, I have some issues:
    -The 25.5-inch scale length doesn't cut it for the low string... I like my strings to be taut with low action so I can play them like a piano.
    -The controls are irritating -- the guitar came with two coil-splitting switches, but they are too close to the pickup selector, and that makes it very difficult to switch to my neck pup in a pinch.
    -The pups aren't very good... I can't seem to find a rhythm sounds with enough clarity.
    -I don't love the independent-saddle bridge. I'm having a lot of trouble finding that sweet spot with the action (when it plays just right, it buzzes). I had a luthier check it out, but he didn't help.

Overall, it's not as lovely to play as my other guitars [Carvin CT624 & Rally Blue Harlem (killer Korean-made Jazz Box!)]

In addition, I recently ran into this beauty:
    Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 72728 EB CA Oceanburst DOT B Stock - RondoMusic.com

I already have a disposition toward Korean builds, and I don't mind that this guitar has a finish flaw, as long as that's the only reason it's B-stock. Does anyone have input as to whether I should replace my Carvin? My budget is currently about a grand *without selling the DC727. Feel free to suggest other replacements... long scales and fanned frets are plusses in my book!

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

The agile will be worse in terms of quality. What I would do is buy new pickups and get some thicker strings! The ones Circle K makes are supposedly amazing, like they feel tight without the drawbacks of heavy gauge strings.

Oh and :welcome:

3. Don Vito

Don Vito SS.org Regular

You could sell it and order another Carvin directly for just a little more with your personal specs.

Idk what to tell you about the scale length though. Like stic said, try thicker strings.

Chris Broderick plays that almost Piano like stuff on his 25.5 guitars.

Edit: didn't read where you said you had a grand to spend. If you sale your current guitar along with your current budget, you could get something REALLY nice from either Carvin or a few other companies. And I would skip the Agile personally.

4. Speedy Fingers

Speedy Fingers dat heel

I just put some D-Activators in my 727 and it honestly sounds like a new guitar. Loads of punch, clarity, tightness, and the neck pup is very smooth too. Definitely consider swapping out your pickups, I hated the stock ones too.

5. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

Well I'd highly recommend staying away from the Agile; they're not bad but they're certainly not quality instruments.

-The 25.5-inch scale length doesn't cut it for the low string... I like my strings to be taut with low action so I can play them like a piano.
    --> What tuning are you using? In standard you should be fine with slightly heavier strings, even in D standard you could get away with a 25.5" neck.

-The controls are irritating -- the guitar came with two coil-splitting switches, but they are too close to the pickup selector, and that makes it very difficult to switch to my neck pup in a pinch.
    --> Fair enough but I don't really see how they get in the way of the pickup switch.. to each their own I guess.

-The pups aren't very good... I can't seem to find a rhythm sounds with enough clarity.
    --> Most people swap them out for something else; I personally swapped them out for BKPs and it sounds pretty damn good!

-I don't love the independent-saddle bridge. I'm having a lot of trouble finding that sweet spot with the action (when it plays just right, it buzzes). I had a luthier check it out, but he didn't help.
    --> If you changed the tuning from standard, you'll probably need a new nut. I don't see how the saddle would be hard to adjust though as they are far easier to work with than tune-o's =3

Alternatively you could save up for the Carvin 8 string because it has a 27" scale length and everyone and their mothers have been raving about them.

Best of luck! :)

6. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

Get thicker strings, a professional setup, new pickups, and rewire and relocate the switches. A little work can go a long way.

7. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

Get thicker strings, new pickups, and a good set up. You wont regret it.
    Or just get a blackmachine.

8. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

If you don't like it, sell it. Thicker strings will alleviate one problem, you will need to route some to install new pickups though. Sometimes you can end up pouring a lot of cash into a guitar, only to have it wasted as it would not come around for you. As far as setups go, if you don't know how to do them, learn, quickly. The stuff is dead simple.

Unless the resale on carvins has greatly improved I fear you paid a bit much for a used on though. Agiles are going to be a much cheaper instrument though. Carvins are decent pieces.

9. LetsMosey

LetsMosey djingle my djenitals

Did you buy it directly from Carvin? If so, send it back to them (if you're still within your 10-day return policy) and tell them you want the same build, but without the coil splitters.)

Most of the reasons you mentioned you don't like the guitar isn't Carvin's fault. And overall, the quality is far better than any Agile you will ever touch. Believe me. If you can live with the 25.5" scale, all of the other stuff can be swapped out (such as remove the splitters, swap out the bridge, swap out the pickups, etc.)

10. The Logician

The Logician The Smurfslayer

Thanks for the input, all! I'll put a bit more love into the Carvin. I've been worried about going to a higher gauge, but I suppose trying something new is a bit more rational than buying a new guitar :)

11. littledoc

littledoc Go meat!

You could try a light top/heavy bottom string set (just search any online store, there are lots of them) to improve the tension on the low string.

Also, no matter what the guitar, you have to make the tradeoff between higher action and some fret buzz, especially if you have an aggressive pick attack. A little bit of buzzing with low action is perfectly normal and not anything to sweat, especially on that low B. It won't affect what's coming out of your amp unless it's pretty harsh. Although again, higher string tension might reduce this issue a bit.

12. rgaRyan

rgaRyan Ermahgerd!

When I order my Carvin (a few years from now), I'll be putting heavier strings on and BKP's in it.

Stock pups and strings are never really good. Try new pups and strings and see what you think then.

13. GSingleton

GSingleton Sleep on, Fly on Vendor

DAT AGILE PLEASE!!!!

Also, I second/third/fourth new pups and bigger strings before selling it for something like an agile even though I love mine.

14. Zerox8610

Zerox8610 SS.org Regular

Oregon!! WOO!!!

I'd stick with the carvin. Get thicker strings if your tension sucks!

15. iloki

iloki SS.org Regular

I use la bella HRS strings and have been really happy with them. They have sets that are heavy bottom/light top (which is what I use) all of the wound strings are heavier, but the top 3 are standard 10's. I think on my schecter atm I'm using a 10-70 set from them.. though the 70 really is overkill lol.. I have a .64 on my jp7 and my RG7420 that feel pretty nice. The jp is half step down and the RG is in standard atm.

16. MrHelloGuitar

MrHelloGuitar SS.org Regular

You've got quite an arm there, sir! haha

OT: to further add to what has already been said, my buddy had similar issues. He threw some BKP aftermaths in thereand it sounded WAY BETTER than how it sounded before.

He's using 10-56 strings in standard tuning.

Hope this helps!

17. NUTSguitarchannel

NUTSguitarchannel Teh 7 djentahh

sell the guitar and buy a strictly 7 us/uk passive

18. Cyanide_one

Cyanide_one SS.org Regular

Can't wait to put dmarzios in my dc727 after my economics finals. stock bridge pickup really does lack clarity and punch. IMO neck p.u is fine