Carvin DC800 No Show Option

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by goosepoop, Aug 8, 2012.

1. goosepoop

goosepoop SS.org Regular

Has anyone gotten this option? I want the front of the guitar's body to look entirely like the same wood (alder) despite the neck being a different wood (maple) and was wondering if this option solves the problem.

Thanks in advance.

2. mishabasi

mishabasi SS.org Regular

with no show you are getting a top that will cover both the body wings and the neck. It will probably be 2 pieces bookmatched together. On my carvin I didn't opt for the now show. I love the way the 5 piece walnut/maple neck looks.

3. Poparad

Poparad Street Theorist

Yes.

4. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Make sure you see a piece of alder before you pull the trigger on it. There's a reason alder is usually painted. It ain't the prettiest wood in the universe.

5. Brohoodofsteel75

Brohoodofsteel75 SS.org Regular

Not to hijack but do any of you know if it costs more for that option?

6. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yes it does

7. frogunrua

frogunrua Lord of the Afros

If you get a top like spalted maple it would be standard not to show the neck right?

8. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Covering the neck-through IS more expensive, since it requires a wider piece of bookmatched wood (not to mention they have to be specially careful with the bookmatching... Not that they wouldn't either way, in theory). It's not that expensive of an upgrade anyway. My DC727 has a bookmatched flamed koa top, and the 5-piece koa/maple neck shows through quite beautifully. It all comes down to looks and preference.

9. kuma

kuma SS.org Regular

No, if you're ordering the standard woods (alder wings and maple neck), the no-show option is not applicable. The only time the no-show option is used is if you are ordering both a 5-piece neck, and a figured top. Normally a figured top will cover the body and neck, but if you've ordered the 5-piece neck, they assume you want to see it, and use smaller pieces of figured wood so the neck woods are visible. But if you want both a 5-piece neck, and a figured top that covers the whole face of the guitar, you need to order the no-show option.

If you want a uniform look, so that you don't see the different body and neck woods from the front of the guitar, you'll need to get a top wood of some kind. Plain maple is available if you don't want the figured look. I don't know if they'd do an alder top, you'd have to call and ask.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

No. Whenever ordering any top you need to specify "No Show", or you'll see the neck-thru.

11. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

Im positive than when you order a top on the DC800s nothing ever comes up about "no show". Im actually going through specs to order a 3rd DC800 and when adding a top and 5 piece neck it never brings up the option.

12. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Not sure how the DC800 builder works, but when I ordered my DC727, Icon5, and DC400 I was prompted to choose. :shrug:

13. yuureikun

yuureikun SS.org Regular

For the DC727/747 and other guitars there is the "no show" option where you can opt to have the 5 piece neck visible from the front of the guitar, or covered by the top wood.

However, for some reason, the DC800 is built a little differently and they are unable to have necks that show from the front. So if you order a top wood for the DC800, you WILL NOT see the neck from the front of the guitar under any circumstances. I know this for a fact, as I asked Carvin why the "show show" option was missing from the DC800 online builder.

This is what an admin told me on the Carvin forums when I reported that the no show neck option wasn't appearing on the DC700/800 builders: "On the DC700 & DC800, NS is the standard - that is, you can't have the neck how if you have a top wood, because of the way the tops are made. The only way the neck will show is if there's no top wood. So, if you want the neck to show - whether 5-piece or 1-piece, you have to order a standard body with no top."

If there is any confusion about anything regarding a guitar order, it is best to call Carvin and talk to a rep so that you don't accidentally order something you don't want. The online builder can be a little confusing if you aren't already accustomed to what Carvin's options are.

14. frogunrua

When I ordered mine they never asked about it. Even though a flamed maple neck might look cool shown, I want that full spalted top. I am going to call when I get up.

15. littledoc

littledoc Go meat!

The no-show neck isn't even a standard option on the DC800. I'm no luthier but I've heard it has something to do with the newer DC models (DXx00) using bent tops instead of carved tops.

In any case, a no-show wouldn't even have the effect the original poster is asking about. You can't make alder wings somehow cover a neck-through. Even on the older models, the no-show option pops up only when you're building a 5-piece neck after you've selected a top wood, and you want the stripes to show. And obviously if you didn't select a top wood, there's nothing to cover the neck in the first place.

16. frogunrua

Called today and it looks like I'll be getting the full frontal of the spalt!:hbang: