Carvin DC727C review

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by kmanick, Mar 2, 2007.

1. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

My Carvin DC727C review
    OK I've had this for about a month now and
    the "Oh my god it's so pretty" stage is pretty much over,
    so I feel I can give a more level headed realistic review of this guitar.

I see a lot of people on this board have these but I've seen zero reviews
    so I'll be interested in getting rebuttals and differing or similar opinions
    as to what I'm going to say here.

Features
    I chose an all Mahogany neck with Mahogany wings/ quilted maple top
    Birdseye maple fret board and stainless steel jumbo frets/passive pickups/coil taps for each pick up/25.5 “ scale.

I had read several opinions that the maple neck/alder combination was very bright and
    to stay away from that combination so I did, as I wanted this guitar to be full sounding
    yet remain clear and sharp.

Rating 1 -5

Construction.
    Well this is easily one of the “prettiest” looking guitars I’ve ever seen, but I didn’t buy
    it because I needed a “pretty” guitar, I was looking for a 7 that plays as well as my 6
    stringers and has a floyd on it.
    The stain is beautiful on this, the body is a bit heavier than my hellraiser 7 (also all
    Mahogany) so I’m thinking the Mahogany Carvin uses is a bit denser than what
    Schecter uses. The Stainless Steel frets are very well dressed and are nice and level
    (these frets are freaking big too), the initial set up out of the box was good, but they
    shipped it with Elixirs and I’m not a fan. They also shipped with 10-59 gauge strings
    on it. I switched them out to D’Addario 9-56. Plays much nicer now, lowered the
    action a bit and I’m all good. The only flaw I have found on this guitar is the lock nut.
    It seems to be just a little bit too big for the nut width. I call Carvin and these lock
    nuts come in 2.0” and 1 7/8” sizes. They say that they use the 1 7/8 nuts (the nut width
    of the neck is 1.91 “) but I think some 2.0” lock nuts got mixed in. I emailed a couple
    of guys on the board that have these and surprisingly enough several of you noticed the
    same thing. Carvin is sending me another lock nut and I’ll take it from there. No
    problem with the current lock nut just an observation. The Floyd on this guitar is ok ,
    not great not horrible, more than up to the task.
    Also the pickup switch "cap" was broken off in the case and it was black :scratch: (with creme p/us and gold hardware?)
    85 cents later and I got a creme one on there
    Overall this is a very nicely made guitar.
    Rating =4 :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Playability.
    This is really what I was concerned about since I had never played a Carvin before,
    and I was not disappointed. The neck shape on this is surprisingly very similar to the
    neck shape of my old ESP M-207, so if any of you have one of those (and like it)
    you’ll take to a Carvin neck right away. It’s a bit shallower than the neck on a hell
    raiser, but I’ve got no problems with a full profile neck. Once I put 9-56 strings on
    here I took this guitar very quickly. I’ve been averaging about 2 hours a day on it since
    I got it and I’m really at home on it now.

However there are a couple of things I noticed that are “different “ from my other
    guitars.
    I hate where the pick up selector switch is. I need to move the floyd arm out of the
    way while I’m playing to get at it. I also noticed that the fret spacing from frets 15-24
    is a little tighter than on my other 24 fret guitars. This could be good or bad depending
    on how you look at it. When I’m playing fast scale runs up there I need to be a bit
    more precise with my playing but
    I can also play wider stretches a little easier than on say my Jackson soloist.
    Besides these 2 things I absolutely took to this guitar right away.
    I do like where the coil tap switches are. I also noticed that I can play with a lighter
    touch on this guitar (could be due to the huge frets that are on it)
    So for playability I give it a 5 (hey it’s not perfect but it’s close)
    You’ll either love it or hate it, and I freaking love this thing.
    Rating = 5 :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Sound
    Here is the other area that I worried about since the Carvin pickups get trashed here
    so often. When I play this guitar exclusively for several hours it sounds great to me. I
    love the neck pick up and tapped it sounds very cool. I can get a good range of
    sounds out of this guitar and if it was my only guitar I’d be good with it, I can play just
    about everything on it (the Greg Howe stuff takes a little more work but it’s getting
    there).
    The clean sounds out of these pick ups are just beautiful, even thru my 5150 this guitar
    sounds great clean.
    When I plug in my Jackson Soloist however (after playing the Carvin for a couple of
    hours) I can immediately hear the difference. The Jackson (JB/Jazz combo) sounds
    much fatter and has more balls to it. The Carvin is a little “mid” heavy and pretty
    bright. I can EQ my amps so it sounds as good as my Jackson (well almost as good)
    but with a real good pick up in the bridge of this thing it will kill.

So unfortunately Duncan won’t make a crème or Zebra 7 string pick up so it’s either a
    Dimarzio or a Bare Knuckle (probably a miracle man)
    So here I’m giving it a 3 /12. Not terrible (pretty good actually) but could be way
    better.
    Any opinions on what to get here are more than welcomed.
    Rating 3 ½ :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Support from Carvin
    So far so good, I had no problems getting a hold of my sales guy thru out the process
    (by phone, forget about emails they only reply sporadically) and the support guys are
    sending me another lock nut for free right now and I got thru to them immediately, so I
    like that.
    Rating=5 :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Overall
    There are several things about this guitar(company) that rub me the wrong way.
    I wish I could get an OFR on here. They offer them on their 6’s why not on the 7’s?
    I really wish I could get after market pick ups. A Duncan SH5/59 combo in this guitar
    Or a JB/59 combo would sound great.
    I also wish we could select a rounded body style or not (an arch top would be nice),
    and I’d like to be able to get binding on my neck and/or body.

Besides these annoyances I’ve been very pleased with this guitar. So much so that I
    could see getting another one with some different options very soon.
    Carvin really isn’t a custom shop it’s an options shop. If the neck shape and body
    style appeals to you then you're in luck, it’s a great playing guitar.
    I highly recommend checking one out if you can play on a non "wizard" style paper thin neck.

Overall Rating = 4 :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Ok pics added for the lazy fuckers around here :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

3. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

4. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

The sign says THIS thread :lol:

5. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

ok pics added (just a couple, like you guys haven't seen this thing already :spock: )

6. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

bare knuckle pickups only come in black, some FYI for ya. Nice review nonetheless.

7. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

We've seen those pics. We want more, from different angles, and preferably with boobs in the back ground.

8. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

No they don't Dan? :scratch: I ordered a set of Steve Stevens "Rebel Yell" Bareknuckle pickups for my Thorn and they are zebra bobbins bro! :yesway:

9. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Great review dude, I can't wait to see it for myself. The only thing I will disagree with is the people who tell you Carvins that are alder/maple are too bright. Mine has a TON of bass and warmth - then again I swapped the pickup to a JB7.

10. the.godfather

the.godfather Mr. Flibble

That thing looks amazing! :yesway:

Gorgeous guitar.

11. 7slinger

7slinger wake up dead Contributor

nice review, gorgeous guitar

12. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

Nice pics and review.

And for the record, I do not fuck lazily. I'm actually rather enthusiastic about the whole concept. :scream:

13. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

Nice. Sweet looking guitar man,.

14. Edroz

Edroz new album soon!

nice review there nick :yesway:. i too HATE where carvin puts the pickup selector switch on their 727s... that's why i didn't make that mistake on my second one. the active electronics option moves the switch right under the bridge pickup (perfect!). plus, with the extra knobs, this gives me the option of having a les paul knob configuration (2 vol., 2 tones) which i love. so i'll most likely be doing this mod soon and it will be perfect :shred:.

15. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

hmmmm, I wish I had thought of that :spock:
    let me know how that works out, sounds like a good idea.

16. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Also, I've heard you can order a 727 with the 747's control layout(blade selector instead of the toggle.)

Cavin doesn't list it as an option but if you ask all nice they'll do it according to the people on the Carvin and Carvin Museum forums.

17. Alex-D33

Alex-D33 Golderak is King Contributor

I need therapy after looking at your Carvin she's a sexy beast !!!
    Awesome review by the way very helpful .

18. Kotex

Kotex Trippin' balls

So how is the neck compared to a Wizard II?

19. god_puppet

god_puppet SS.org Regular

Nice reviews, that is the most gorgeous guitar I have ever seen.

20. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

:scream: Goddamn motherfuckers with your fucking gorgeous Carvins! :scream: