Careers Of Amateur Wrestlers

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Estilo, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Estilo

Estilo SS.org Regular

Since this is an American-dominated site, I think at least some of you would be knowledgeable in the amateur wrestling field.

To my knowledge it's a big thing in some cultures across some states. It requires full dedication and excellent work ethic. Some colleges offer wrestling scholarships and the most prominent ones often aim for the US national team to compete in the Olympics.

My question is, for a sport regarded so highly, why is there no structured career path for them after college/ uni? Even if they go on to compete in the Olympics it's still "amateur", not a career. Some go on into professional wrestling or MMA but the former has a bad name surrounding it and not everyone transitions well into the latter. Won't it be easier if, after the amount of time and effort they've invested, there's a structured career in their field like basketball and football (gridiron) players do?

2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Kurt Angle won a gold medal, then went to WWE. ;-)

3. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

It's just too damned boring to transfer into a pro sport, although that's also my opinion on several other sports that do have pro leagues, so what the hell do I know anyways lol.