Car subwoofer tuning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by J_Mac, Jul 28, 2017.

1. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

How do you guys tune your subs? I'm struggling with very low mid (higher low tone, around 200Hz ish) definition. High crossover setting seems to clash with my under seat woofers and make things flabby and ill-defined. I seem to be happiest at 50Hz crossover with lower gain. Just wondered if anyone has any tips/tweaks before I start replacing more speakers...

Setup: BMW NBT head unit, stock under seat 8" subs, Focal 4" mids and 1" door tweeters, Rockford amp and 10" non-ported sub.

2. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

What are you using for an eq? Just head unit?

I have an active crossover in my truck, but I'm also low passing at 80 hz. This may sound counterintuitive, but I'll bump frequencies on my eq that I think are troublesome. Most speakers these days are tuned very well so I'm running a little gain off the amps and crossover and not really bumping too much on the eq.

Setup: Sony head unit, arc audio idx active crossover, hertz mille components, hertz hdp5 amp, and JL audio 13tw5 sub.

3. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

The head unit doesn't have more than bass/treble adjustment. Unfortunately there is no way to put an aftermarket head unit in my X3. I have iPhone and iPod rockbox eq controls though.