Captain America: Civil War

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Bloody_Inferno, Nov 25, 2015.

1. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Is anyone else thinking we might see Quicksilver back in the Infinity War? Vision will have to be stomped by Thanos at some point so he can take his gem, and at the end someone is going to have to take the gauntlet from Thanos...they could easily bring back both Vision and Quicksilver with the gauntlets power, and probably a few other casualties as well.

What does everyone think?

2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I think that the MCU is going to stay away from Quicksilver so that the X-Men franchise can have him, while X-Men will likewise do the same with Scarlet Witch.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I thought Quicksilver completely sucked in AoU. He came across as more of a shoe ad than a character, and I know I won't miss him if he doesn't come back. He was great in DOFP and I'm more than happy to keep him isolated to that group. :p Plus, having him come back to life would remove one of the key elements of Scarlet Witch's character.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I've stated before that death in the MCU, or other superhero films in general, will follow the comic ethic, and that death is merely a detour and not a final destination, and how the Time stone is going to play a part in that.

Of course we won't know until it's introduced in Doctor Strange this November.

It also depends on whether the 2 studios want to continue in their constant pissing contest. But it looks like that may be the case after all. While yeah, as they're more associated with Avengers more than the X-Men, there's also the caveat that MCU can't mention the Maximoff twins as mutants nor mention Magneto. Hell, Namor The Submariner is in all sorts of rights issues. But anyway... both studios can use both characters, but neither seem to want to fully commit both of them into one studio together for a long duration.

Everyone knows that the only reason Quicksilver was in Days Of Future Past was to use him first before Ultron, as a giant middle finger to MCU. Even Scarlet Witch is hinted in DOFP so another incarnation of her may still be around the X-Men universe.

[​IMG]

MCU's response was to give Quicksilver his fate in Ultron, which can be cynically viewed as a shrewd business move above all else.

In any case, Fox Quicksilver and MCU Scarlet Witch have now solidified their roles in their respective studios. X-Men Apocalypse has already called him Magneto's son, and the Scarlet Witch/Vision pairing motion has begun. We'll find out in a few years I guess.

MCU's Quicksilver is one of the least interesting characters in their list that feels more like a plot device than anything else. Whether he does come back or not, really won't make that much of a difference, even to Scarlet Witch's story. 20Fox Quicksilver is represented better but not saying much. Aside from that one scene (which can be argued as being a tired retread of the Matrix films), he's not much else.

5. wankerness

Quicksilver in DOFP was a ton of fun, he wasn't a deep character. His big scene was the highlight of that movie, IMO (and I really liked that movie). I look forward to more of him.

The idea of Vision/Wanda pairing is creepy as heck. I thought it was just platonic, I wish that was all they'd leave it at! At least we wouldn't see red peen ala Watchmen.

6. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

They are an item in the comics. Like, married and everything. Cheesy lines and all. I thought it was awkward and sweet.

7. wankerness

I guess I just get on edge whenever I see an old dude in a hollywood movie paired with a young chick. She's a few years older than I thought, though (27) so I guess it's not as bad as most. Obviously it's a fantasy context, but it's still contributing to the general narrative when you have such age-mismatched actors. I guess it's balanced out by the fact they actually stuck Robert Downey Jr with someone that's the same age (51)!

8. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

The character's less than two years old in-universe. I'll let that reverse-creepy nugget sit with you for a while.

Androids: not even once

9. wankerness

Haha, fair enough.

I keep thinking back to the airport scene. I might have to watch this again. The eye reaction after the
    Giant Man transformation from Paul Rudd had me dying.

The one thing I think was definitely a misfire in the movie was
    Tony Stark blasting Falcon after he gets to the injured War Machine. The way they film it, it's practically like Hulk punching Thor off the screen in the first Avengers. There was a group of unattended ~10 year olds next to me at the theater and they all burst out laughing at that scene, and I don't think they were the only ones who thought that was supposed to be funny! I don't think it WAS, though, since that scene is so heavy.
    Ah well. A very minor quibble. I was pretty surprised at how those kids reacted to the movie. They were a bit loud at the beginning, but all of them sat there attentively through the whole thing and never got up to go anywhere at any point. I guess it worked pretty well as a kid's movie!
    One of them couldn't look at the screen for the entire climactic fight, though, and one of his friends told him it was safe to look again after Captain America stuck the shield in Tony Stark's generator and backed off. I guess it did get a bit GRIMDARK. I'm glad not all kids are totally desensitized.

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

And the irony is that no one believed it. :lol:

11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Just saw it. Still high.

OMG... go see it if you haven't!

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I think the other way around. This movie was more serious and "grown up" than the last avenger. Hence why they stoped screaming and laughing hard at any "joke" on the screen. Thats why I liked this move much better as they dial down on the "fart jokes comedy" hollywood think kids love. To be honest trow bunch of action in a more serious note and kids love that. I know I will when I was at that age "yeaah punch it on the face! yeahh!"

13. MoonJelly

MoonJelly brainless and deadly Contributor

Seeing this movie got me excited for another Spiderman movie. The impossible, they did it.

14. Bloody_Inferno

I think it's more than just 'more serous and "grown up" than the last avenger'.

One of the biggest reasons Civil War works as a narrative is that it's comfortable and self assured in it's own existence, thanks to the help of 12 freaking movies (!) prior building into it's own cultural zeitgeist. We've invested ourselves to these characters over the course of those movies so we know what they're about. Because of that, the characters can develop further. Scarlet Witch and Vision have their development, Falcon, War Machine and Black Widow have hard hitting statements despite being only support. Best example of this is Black Panther, who gets a whole origin story as a side plot to this film.

The strength of the previous movies is used in the plot as well. Avengers was a team coming together and Civil War was that same team falling apart.

The villain - now there seems to be consensus that he's the weakest aspect of the whole movie, and he's as superfluous as Iron Monger's third act fight. Quite the contrary. Yeah, all his actions seem illogical, but the result is one of the strongest and most personal payoffs in the entire MCU villain catalog. That and the fact that Daniel Bruhl sells the hell out if it. Really looking forward to more of his roles here.

The whole third act (after the airport scene) is where the personal theme gets real. On careful analyzing (I saw it again last night), the main plot practically ends on the second act. But the fighting isn't over, the secrets and flaws and emotional torment of the characters stick out and refuse to disappear making the final confrontation so heavy despite a more intimate setting than act 2's airport.

That's a lot to consume in any serious and mature movie in general. That's pretty damn impressive and that's even before you dress up the characters in superhero costumes. And THEN they add Spiderman and freaking Ant Man.

Overall Civil War is a much more personal movie (more than Winter Soldier) and the kind of character building that Batman V Superman desperately tries to shoehorn in 3.5 hours but fails by collapsing in it's own weight.

Also, am I the only one who giggled to himself whenever I saw a stair car at the airport? :lol:

15. wankerness

Consensus? I'm seeing articles (not to mention hundreds of comments) saying he's the BEST villain in any of these movies. He's about the only one besides Loki that's not just set up as some empty threat that the movie isn't really interested in who's only there to set up the quips between the heroes or whatever. He's given an understandable and sympathetic motivation, and he actually DOES SOMETHING to the characters apart from poking them with a stick for a while before getting smashed. "Best since Loki" is about the worst I'm seeing anyone say. Maybe in the other areas of the internet where people just want the guy with the biggest hammer or special-ist powers or whatever makes a "good" villain that he's lacking.

16. Bloody_Inferno

When i first saw the movie last week, i looked up a few of the first wave of reviews afterwards and it was a common thread about Zemo. But i suppose thats due to the main spectacle of the heroes against each other being the central focus while Zemo lurks in the shadows.

But I'm glad that seems to have changed in favour now once they've looked at what's really going on.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I never liked Loki, never saw him as a villan, it was more of a joke for me

18. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

I personally loved this one. Have seen it twice already. I must say looking at all of these responses that when it comes to Marvel movies I'm a.) Either really entertained easily b.) I have low standards or c.) I guess I never really try to find deep meaning in these movies other than the movies that have it blatantly there. The only complaint I have about the whole MCU at this point is just Iron Man 3. I guess I just don't feel the need to nic pic when all of my wants are satisfied: my favorite characters in movies, fair amount of comedy and action, and what I consider decent or great storylines. I just take these movies as they are for me which is just fun. I just cannot wait until my favorite hero to ever wear a red cape (Doctor Strange) gets his own movie this November. I see all the Inception comparisons from other sites and to that I respond that it's just one small part of a grand scheme. I think I'm going to be one of the only ones who enjoys Doctor Strange.

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I just saw this film.

First, the people sitting all around us were all obnoxious. I won't get in to that but to say that if you want to go see a movie, but you can't make it more than ten minutes without shouting or even speaking at full voice, then stay home. And if people quietly ask you to pipe down, don't go explaining in a full voice to them why it is impossible for you to remain halfway quiet.

The movie was overall pretty good. I think the title was misleading, since it was definitely another Avengers movie. There might have been 10 seconds more screen time for Captain America than there was for Iron Man, but, whatever. Secondly, I actually did not like the villain. I didn't really think his actions were all that believable. His motivation to be the villain was fine, but his motivation for his specific actions seemed to be merely to move the plot of the film one way or another. His interrogation scene was really nifty, though.

20. Kryss

Kryss Your new god!

dr strange is going to be as impactful too as civil war in the grand scheme of things. I definitely see a post credit scene with strange and bucky now. this will allow bucky to join IW without his programming, this also allows him to pick up the shield if rogers dies to thanos before the end. some of the old guard is definitely going to die in IW, most likely iron man and cap. it gives the event weight and sets up the new avengers lineup for phase 4. bucky as the new cap, black panther, scarlet witch, captain marvel, possibly dr strange although I think he'll mostly stick to his own trilogy with a few avengers cameos, antman and wasp. civil war was a fantastic movie though. I'd say it's on par with the awesomeness of winter soldier although I don't think overall it is a better movie than cap2: ws. overall I think the russos have created the best 2 marvel movies so far. avengers 1 is right there as well and gotg. it will be interesting if after a gotg trilogy they bring on that director (gunn) to do an avengers or possibly bring whedon back for something down the road. I definitely think whedon will make a return but probably not for something as large as avengers probably for something smaller.