Captain America: Civil War

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Bloody_Inferno, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

I thought it was a good movie, but honestly a little weak on some points. Then again I could be going against the masses here since I rather enjoyed BvS.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Black Panther was sick.

2. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Heh, funny thing is that Marisa Tomei is actually 51, so considering Peter comes off as being about 16, she's actually ENTIRELY age appropriate as Aunt May. She's just aged REALLY well. :yum:

Saw it, loved it. The airport action scene was great, and the final scenes between Cap, Bucky and Iron Man (with Black Panther on the side) really pulled the movie together.

3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Honestly, I wish I hadn't heard this so much before I saw the movie. With all the hype for that scene and for Spider-man, those were the bits that REALLY disappointed me when I saw the movie. I was expecting to be completely mind-blown by them and... totally wasn't. Those were probably my least favorite bits of the movie.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

:eek: daaaaaaammn :yum:

5. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

On par with GoTG, Ant Man and CA WS I think. Marvel are completely and utterly destroying DC on the big screen.

Also, Marissa Tomei. Seriously, she can't be 51. My theory is Marvel Studios are funnelling all profits into creating real Infinity Gems and she is the test subject for the time gem...

6. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Precisely.

Even as a long time Spidey fan who's willing to say he's my #1 superhero, I've never understood why they made Aunt May so old in relation to Peter. He's supposed to be a high school student who gets bit by a radioactive spider, but the aunt he lives with is in her mid-60s to late 70s? That's just crazy to imagine, because it means the age range between his mother and her sister would've been somewhere in the 10-15 years, maybe even 20.

If Peter's actually going to be in high school for Spiderman: Homecoming, then the idea of a younger Any May just makes sense.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Just got back from a surprisingly-packed matinee showing. Definitely one of the best Marvel movies to date and I would dare say Russos > Whedon at this juncture.

I went into it expecting- probably because of the reputation of the comics- the Tony Stark side being the more heavy-handed, and easier to consider "wrong" side of it, but I was pleased to see each side a little more nuanced and compelling.

8. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

she doesnt have to be the young sister of Peter's mom, she can be the older sister too ;) For me aunt May was always that kind of a in between a mother and a grandmother kinda thing, but yeah I know what you mean, the age gap its a bit extreme

So for me it looked weird with this hottie in the role. Yes she might be the age appropriate, but you know Hollywood, they always push the boundaries of actors "age" down not up, so a slight older (or older lookng) actress would have made bit more sense. But her comic goofy nature goes well with the siderman character too. Either way, exited to see a new sipdy movie, and please make it right this time

9. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

[​IMG]

I agree with most of your post apart from the spelling of Spodermen's name.

Put it like this: I'm 30. My mum is 60, oldest of her siblings. Both my aunts (wives to my uncles) are 3-5 years younger than her.

If my parents had died before I was 15 and I'd been bitten by a radioactive spoder, my aunt Anne would've been 42, my aunt Yvonne would've been 40. Aunt May in her 60s-70s is way too old in my opinion. Late 40s, early 50s for a mother-figure to a 15-year-old kid is fine.

Source: I teach 15-year-olds. Some of their mothers are foxes.

10. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

But what if Peter's mom was 45 when she had him, and May was 25 years older than her? Then May would have been 85 when Peter was 15.

Of course, at the other extreme, May could actually be younger than Peter :) Almost any age would theoretically work for her. I don't think it matters too much, but some variation is nice.

11. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Most families of 2-4 kids there are less than 10 years between the children. Most people start having kids in their late 20s- early 30s.

I'm not saying your idea is impossible, just unlikely, demographically speaking.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I can't believe anyone has a problem with her age. 15 year old with a 51 year old aunt is totally normal :O

Casting a 51 year old that looks hot as an aunt that looks hot is not hollywood having an age problem! The age problem is a reference to things like Olivia Wilde being rejected from the part of Leonardo Dicaprio's wife for being too old despite being the same age and REALLY, REALLY hot. If you're a woman over 30 in hollywood and getting casted as anything other than a crone, you are part of the solution :p I also kind of think it's shaking itself out at this point, since there are plenty of women well over 30 still getting regular work as romantic leads, including many of the most popular actresses right now. I think it's just some really visible relics of its ugly past (like Jennifer Lawrence repeatedly getting cast in high-profile Oscar-winning roles that were very clearly written much older). And awful comedies, of course. There seems to be a direct correlation between size of the age gap between romantic pairs and the movie being a pile of garbage.

ANYWAY, I saw the movie yesterday. The airport scene WAS as great as everyone said. The most surprising thing about it was how gd funny it was. I was laughing my head off throughout it, it's just hilarious right and left. The movie isn't really funny at all before about halfway through the movie, so it was a nice surprise.

This is easily the best villain in any Marvel movie yet, since he is just an agent for chaos instead of some generic "GUY WHO WANTS TO BLOW UP THE WORLD." He's far more insidious, successful, and has great motivations. He rightly is used to highlight drama between the heroes and make THAT the focus of the movie, instead of being a scene-stealing nut who transfer all the drama onto himself and absolves the Avengers of dramatic responsibility. It's so damn good. (Especially in comparison to Jesse Eisenberg acting CUHHH-RAZZZZZYYYYY with his jars of piss and aunt-kidnapping-schemes)

Black Panther was great due to his character progression. For a long time, I was like
    "this guy is a vengeful idiot." When he showed up at the frozen base at the end I just groaned, like LET IT REST ALREADY YOU PRICK!! Then, of course, it gets totally reversed and he ends up the most mature and noble guy in the film. The stinger in the credits makes me like him even more, obviously. I love the character and can't wait to see what they do with his movie.
    Falcon is also great throughout. The car scene with him and Bucky is my favorite, but he's such a solid dude throughout the movie and I'm glad he didn't get wasted as a background character.

Scarlet Witch is the character I want to see more of the most, but I've been kind of let down two movies in a row now. It's just because Elizabeth Olsen gave the best debut performance (in Martha Marcy Mae Marlene) this side of Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone, and she just hasn't gotten the same level of material since. She's good here and I like the character, but that damn accent hobbles her, even though they clearly toned it down from the last movie. I was amused by the cooking scene with her and Vision. I just want more of her, dammit. I don't think she functions as a standalone character, but hopefully she becomes the main supporting character in one of these things.

I did kinda have one conceptual problem with the whole thing, which was enhanced by me watching Age of Ultron the same day. Everyone in the film is constantly crying about all the death caused by the Avengers in Sokovia, but NOT ONCE is anything good they did there mentioned. Considering MOST of the focus of the entire last act of that movie was specifically them going to huge lengths to save every civilian they could possibly find at all costs, it rang very false having Tony be so laser-focused on his "WE KILLED PEOPLE IN SOKOVIA SO WE ARE BAD!!!!" mindset for the entire movie. I mean, not just the fact they personally went through and saved civilians one at a time and used all their resources to save every one they could find, but the fact they prevented an extinction-level event!!! I mean, I guess it's to be expected that's what the general populace would spin it as, the UNGRATEFUL LITTLE MAGGOTS, but to have Tony believe the same thing seemed ridiculous. (I'm on the Captain America side clearly)

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

the problem was I though she was in her late 30's maybe 40 :lol:

I think Im at that age now when I cant tell whos my age anymore and since friends are having babies and what not

same just happened with the new trailer of bad Moms, I was like no F way Mila Kunis can be the main character with two kids.... Then I realize shes actually my age and yes, she can do that lol

14. Demiurge

:agreed: The 'traditionally' older Aunt May & Uncle Ben seemed to me to evoke Superman's Ma & Pa Kent to the "raised by a sweet, wholesome, salt-of-the-earth couple that instilled good values" effect.

One thing I wonder, though, is whether there was actually an Uncle Ben for this new Spider-Man.
    In their first scene together when Tony asked Peter why he was trying to help people. I was totally expecting Peter to say something like, "My Uncle Ben once told me that with great power comes great responsibility"- which was really the ideal context for that phrase to come out, but instead Peter offers kind of a fumbling explanation about if bad things happen and we could have done something about it then that would be like letting it happen. Kind of the same effect as the famous phrase, but more like how a shy, modest teenager would formulate it himself.

15. Demiurge

The easy answer is that it's so true to life- you can do great things again and again, but eff up once and that's all people will talk about! :lol:

There was that thing that Vision said in that early scene where they discussed the Accords that was probably meant to explain the mindset. He said something along the lines of the number of large catastrophes increased commensurately with the appearance of enhanced beings, basically along the lines that the Avengers were perceived as taking in their own wash, so to speak. I'll presume that Tony, supposed super genius, was too wracked by guilt to engage in a "chicken or the egg" or "correlation is not causation" argument.

16. wankerness

Well, I get why the ungrateful public would focus on it and think "they're a bunch of dicks that don't even try to avoid collateral damage," but not Tony! I guess it could be argued that since Tony was dicking around in the guts of the flying island for the entire climax, he didn't realize the complete focus by everyone else on avoiding any civilian casualties. And of course, he's the one that caused the whole thing in the first place by building Ultron, but he doesn't really seem to acknowledge that in this movie! Not to mention, why would he blame everyone ELSE for that and be perfectly happy to have them all thrown in prison while he's walking around free? :p

17. wankerness

I didn't even think of that, but it would be wonderful if there wasn't. I can do without yet another Spider-Man film that's relentlessly emo and loaded with flashbacks to ponderous old Uncle Ben solemnly intoning life lessons and Spider-Man's agony at causing his death or whatever. We have the Zach Snyder movies already if we want GRIMDARK.

18. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Regarding them citing the events of New York and Washington as reasons to put a leash on the Avengers, I can agree with you there. However, the thing to remember about both Sokovia and Lagos is that those incidents were caused by Ultron, a being who was basically created by Tony Stark mucking about with forces that he really didn't understand. As such, Tony's guilt over the resulting casualties of those incidents is completely understandable, because he did basically cause them, albeit in a roundabout fashion. I do wish the movie had stated that explicitly as not doing so leaves the door open for interpretation, but I think that conclusion is easy enough to come to that people can figure it out.

19. Demiurge

That really seems to be how Tony Stark's moral compass works: feel really guilty about something going wrong, self-righteously pursue what turns out to be an ill-advised over-correction with total inflexibility, feel really guilty about it going wrong, rinse and repeat.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

In Homecoming, and I suppose in CW as well, he'll already have been established as Spiderman so I don't know how much they'll hammer home is origins. Probably something like BvS, where it takes place during the opening credits and then be done with it from there.