Cant stop pulling out my hair

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by PyramidSmasher, Nov 20, 2015.

1. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

Hello,

I have been afflicted with an uncontrollable compulsion to pull out my hair since my senior year of high school. Since then I have only gotten worse, and spent my first few years of adulthood (18-21) using a cocktail of drugs and other poor choices to self-medicate. I am now almost 23 and I would like to kick this habit of pulling my hair altogether.

I have been diagnosed with OCD/Trychtillomania (sp?) and am perscribed to Zoloft but it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. At the end of the day, I cant stop pulling out my hair to a degree that shocks/worries everyone around me. I am wondering if any of you have any experience or advice on this topic. I asked this same question on this forum 4 years ago, but evidence serves to tell me that I am unable to remain sober without pulling out my hair.

Thanks to anyone who responds, it is immensely appreciated. :hbang:

2. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

Man... I'm sorry you're going through this but I really think you should talk to someone qualified enough to help you.

Now having said that, I am not a doctor but my family has a history of mental disorders and I have some experience with OCD.

Do you have insurance? Do you have a doctor? How long have you been taking your prescribed medication? Have you considered shaving your head?

3. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

My head is currently shaved but it causes problems at home because my parents dont really understand my problems. IVe been taking my medication for 2 months now, and I do see a psychiatrist. Unfortunately, it has not helped yet and I fear the worst has yet to come.

Thanks.

4. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

I dunno about Zoloft but Prozac took a while before it did me any good. I went through phases of being tired and emotionally wrecked, then completely numb before I had a sense of normality.

Perhaps things will even out in time. Two months doesn't seem long enough for drastic change. Stick with it. Some support would help. If you aren't getting that from family then maybe look into support groups in your area or ask your doctors about some.