Can't figure out what sub-genre to call it, and mix critique.

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by charrondev, Mar 7, 2016.

1. charrondev

charrondev SS.org Regular

Primarily looking for feedback on what metal subgenre you guys think this falls into and any mix critiques you may have.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/charrondev/vivacity-resolution-mix-3[/SC]

2. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Do you have bass on this record? If you do, might want to turn it up a bit. I felt the kicks were too mechanical. Some good lead work.
    I hear some emocore, some groovemetal, some progressive, some djent...so not sure, "post industrial emo tech core"?

3. charrondev

charrondev SS.org Regular

Thanks. Any tips on how to make the kick feel less mechanical? And there is bass, but I probably have it balanced wrong. The acoustics in my room are so awful so I think I hear way more bass than is actually there.

4. Crescendo

Crescendo 크레센도

There is clearly a bass guitar, there's even too much of it; you should carve some space for the toms and the kick, as the low end is a bit mushy. Maybe the bass distortion doesn't cut through, but it is audible for the most part. Turn on the humanization, if any, for the kick drum if you think it's too mechanical.

5. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Adding human touch to bass parts is a lengthy process, like previous poster said, depending on your DAW there should be a "humanization" option, so you should see what it does. On some of these ultra tight metal pieces you might have to do it by hand as the humanization process will throw the kicks too much into disarray, so you have to do it piecemeal.

Another thing that helps is volume fluctuations as well, if your drum sampler has more than one kick sound (mine does), when you program double kick you do sample1 and sample2 as if the drummer were playing two different kicks, which would be true in live situation.

Also the drummer will vary left and right kick volume, especially on longer kick rolls and will play quieter some of the kick parts.

Listening to your clicky kick, you might want to layer a second kick sound by copying the drum part (once you're done humanizing) with something deeper, like say a Jason Bonham type of kick for some heft.
    These guys came up on Soundcloud after I played your tune and listen to this kick and snare as an example:
    https://soundcloud.com/wires-nh/symbolsism

Maybe just eqing some of the click out will do for starters.

Also on double snare rolls it helps to have some mild difference in snare sounds. Back when I used drum machines I did that by choosing the sample sample for both kick and snare and detuning one by small amount. Now I think in most drum programs you have left and right kick and snare, and on some of the ones I use there are even left and right toms.

Recording magazine had a great article on drum recording, if you can write to them and pick up the January edition, it is worth it:
    - At RECORDING, we're bringing in the New Year with a bang! It's Drum Recording month, ... : Recording Magazine -

As far as the bass goes - try to carve some

6. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

progressive melodic djent-core?