Can't Decide on a Delay Pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bucketheadtwo, Sep 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Bucketheadtwo

Bucketheadtwo Ascend Beyond

When I record music on my computer, I generally will do things digitally first.
    I record dry guitar tracks and plop Pod Farm 2.0 on top of them.
    The delay I've always used in my music is the digital delay pedal within Pod Farm, and I like the way that effect sounds.

Here's a song I've made with it, and more delay samples can be found in my other tracks:
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/ascend_beyond/certain-uncertainty-updated-demo[/SC]

Now I'd like to buy a delay pedal so that I can recreate my music live. The problem is, there are so many popular delay pedals out there now, I have no idea which one I want, so I'd like some suggestions.
    Some of the more popular pedals I've seen and have been looking at are the MXR Carbon Copy (analog), Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail (also analog), Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master (reverb and delay), Boss Digital Delay, and TC Electronics Flashback Delay. There's also that big green Line 6 DL4 Delay which can be found pretty cheaply used now. I'm looking to spend under $200 and I think I'm mostly looking for a digital delay pedal.

What do you guys think of some of these pedals, and what would you recommend?

2. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Previously owned the Boss DD20, Boss DD3, Flashback X4, and an HD500, so all the delays from the DL4. I've also owned a number of them that are not on your list, but they're not relevant to this discussion.

I am currently running the Carbon Copy and I could not be happier with the tone of it. It's so lush and full and the modulation adds a little bit of flavour without being overbearing. I've had it for a couple of months now and have zero delay GAS. I used to do a lot of stuff with timed delays, but I don't anymore, so I don't miss the tap function. I pretty much just set it and forget it. I use the same delay sound on the few lead lines that require it and it just sounds great.

3. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

You'll get a boss dd20 for under $200

Great sounding pedal with a bunch of options.

4. charlessalvacion

charlessalvacion SS.org Regular

Flashback Delay is what I use. Versatile, compact, & there's a lot of sounds to choose from. I love the tone print function. Great little pedal.

5. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I recommend googling "looper's delight" -- they know their looping pedals.

Me, personally, I'd go with the TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme, but I know this isn't the most popular choice, so do your due diligence.

6. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Blackest Of The Blackest

Boss DD-7 and Carbon Copy are both great imo. Can't go wrong with either.

7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

You could also check out the Hardwire DL-8 Delay and the TC Electronic Nova Delay.

You could eventually check out something like the Eventide H9 if you think you will want Chorus and such also.

I gotta say, that Flashback looks nice also. I dont currently have pedals, but I think I would look into that also. I think I sound like I would be in a similar situation. Want something simple, with digital clean repeats.

8. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

I've had the carbon copy for about 10 years now and I love it. I'm not super picky about what I use, as long as it sounds good. That being said, I currently use whatever sounds good in my Hd500x

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've owned a Carbon Copy, DD7, and DD20, TC Electronic G Major, and have used a friend's TC Nova Repeater fairly in-depth. I think the Flashback x4 or DD20 would be the best fit for you if you need different types of sounds (digital, analog, etc.) in different presets. The TC has a dedicated tap tempo and the DD20's second switch can be used for scrolling through presets or tap tempo, but still has an input for an external tap if that matters to you.

The regular Flashback or DD5/DD7 may also work well for cheaper sicnce you said all of your music is recorded with one digital delay sound :2c: the DD5 and DD7 also have external control available for tempo so you can at least tap in the tempo for each song.

I really liked my old Carbon Copy, but I felt limited since I'd have to bend down and sort of guestimate the tempo for different songs as opposed to being able to tap it it. It's a well-built pedal that does what it does extremely well, though!

10. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

I have a Flashback (the standard one, not the mini or X4) and am very happy with it. I don't typically need access to more than one delay sound at a time so it is plenty versatile and sounds great.

11. andyjanson

andyjanson SS.org Regular

Happy flashback X4 user here. Having 3 presets is really neat, I typically have a very short, subtle delay for rhythms, a long dynamic delay for leads and a trippy, modulated setting. Haven't really delved into toneprint yet because there's like, 12 different delay types to play with, but all the settings are very useable and sound great. It's pretty massive however, if you're pushed for pedalboard space.

12. Bucketheadtwo

I think I might dish out the dough for a Flashback X4. Being able to have tap tempo and looping is really nice. The tap tempo helps me set up precise tempos that I need for each individual song. I also structure a lot of songs in layers that progress as the song goes on, similar to how Tosin wrote or performed many of the early AAL tracks. I also really like my Polytune 2 and the whole sort of way that TC make their pedals.

There are some good sub-$200 X4's around on the internet.

13. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

The X4 is a beauty of a pedal. You'll be happy with it if it has the feature set you're looking for. I enjoyed my time with it and found the tone print function handy also.

14. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

If I were getting a standalone delay pedal (and didn't have a midi controller) id probably go the flashback route as well. Happy hunting

15. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

I'm not a delay expert by any means, but I have a carbon copy and I really like it. But I guess I'm going for a more old school sound maybe. I prefer to run the pedal before the amp and distortion.

16. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

What type of delay do you want? If all you want is digital delay, buy a used flashback (not the x4) or a Boss DD3. The DD3 is industry standard for digital delays.

17. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

This.

Except I'm using the X4. It's one of those brilliant pedals where you can always find a sound that wasn't there before. The clarity is amazing as well. The Carbon Copy is the best tone-wise, but the flashback comes in 2nd for tone, and it has way more features than the CC.

18. sevenfoxes

Not to mention that it has an incredibly easy to use looper. I sold my Jam Man Stereo for it, because the sound quality is MUCH better, and isn't nearly as noisy.

TC is tha shiznit. I own several of their pedals, and think they're the best modern pedals ever made.

19. Bucketheadtwo

I threw down $175 for a nice Flashback X4 over on Reverb with the box and everything that came with it. I ultimately decided that I wanted it because of its durability, amount of delays and other features, and I thought I'd probably get a lot of use out of the looping function. TC's products really appeal to me overall. Thanks for the help, everyone. I look forward to ....ing around with this thing for hours on end :lol:

20. sevenfoxes

:yesway:

Honestly, If I could only keep 2 pedals, It would be the x4, and the T2. Endless possibilities with those two.