Cannot Get Lower Action. HELP!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BuiltToDestroy2502, May 1, 2017.

1. BuiltToDestroy2502

BuiltToDestroy2502 SS.org Regular

:wallbash: Alright gents, here's the deal. A few months ago I bought a Dean MAB3 because I needed something kinda cheap because my Ibanez is starting to bite the dust. After getting said Dean, I replaced the strings with a much thicker gauge so I could tune down to C# Standard. Since then, no matter how much I seem to adjust the neck (though I've not tried to back bow it any because it came in flat and was already high) and Floyd Rose, the action stays around double what I would like, if not more. From what my eye can see, the nut is at the same height as my Ibanez, which I never had any problems when it came to action with, but I still can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be more than helpful. (If photos would help I can post them, I just figured this problem was pretty easy to explain without them.)
    :wavey:

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Spring tension.

How old is the guitar? You may need new or better springs.

3. BuiltToDestroy2502

The Base of the Floyd Rose is even with the body, or as close as I could possibly get it, which looks pretty much good to me. The guitar was made in 2015 and the strings are just as new as the guitar. They're Elixir and still feel, look, and sound like new.

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

Have you pulled the neck off to see if it has a shim? Typically when I run into funky action issues it ends up being at the neck pocket. Post a pick if you can, though it might be hard to see what's going on, it couldn't hurt.

5. BuiltToDestroy2502

I've never heard of that before. How can I tell if that's the problem and how do I resolve it?

6. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

We need pictures to tell you more. Consider taking it to a local tech to have it assessed.

7. BuiltToDestroy2502

Just realized I'm a complete f*cking idiot and didn't go into enough detail. I CAN lower the strings, I can lower the strings all the way down. What I canNOT do is lower them from where they are without fret buzz, which I'm usually fine with having a small amount of, but not when the action is still double or more of my personally preferred action.

8. BuiltToDestroy2502

I'll be posting pictures tomorrow.

9. BuiltToDestroy2502

Here are some photos of what I was talking about.

Attached Files:

10. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Measurements would be great too.

If you have some relief (make sure the neck is neither back bowed nor perfectly straight, it doesn't take much relief), having 5/64" or 2 mm on the low string at the 15th fret should result in action being fairly low without much fret buzz.

If your guitar is close to those measurements, but still buzzes, you will need to take it to someone to find out if there is something else wrong with your setup. You could have a lifting fret, a twisted neck, a nut with too little back angle... It is impossible to tell those things from your pictures.