Can you record with pedals only? With no amp?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by quaileqqs, Jan 11, 2019.

1. quaileqqs

quaileqqs SS.org Regular

I want to be able to record and practice directly into my DAW. Im confused on the difference between preamp pedals and power amp pedals.

Do I need a power amp pedals like the Seymour Duncan Powerstage and run it into a Twonotes Torpedo, or can I use a preamp pedals with cab Sims like the Horizon Devices Apex?

2. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

You can use a preamp pedal into an interface and then use IRs for the cab, I do this all the time.

With something like the Apex Preamp you could run it straight into the interface with no need for an IR, but I'd wager an external IR would sound better.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

You need a poweramp to drive speakers. If all you want to do is record direct then all you need is a preamp and some sort of cab sim

You could totally do he APEX and just use the built in cab sim.

4. quaileqqs

quaileqqs SS.org Regular

Cool! Any suggestions other than the Apex preamp? I like that it has a built in cab sim but it's a little too metal oriented for me. I'd like to have good cleans as well - and the Two Notes is a pricey.

5. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

You can also go straight to a DAW through an interface and then use VST (helix native is always a good option) and Ir loaders. I've used the one native to presonus studio1 for rough ideas or to monitor while putting down clean takes for later reamping.

Reread I've also used a tech21 clone to do it as well with an Ir loader in the DAW.

6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

The entire line AMT Legend 2 series preamp pedals have two channels (clean and high-gain) and a built in cab sim.

Check out the R2, P2, E2, O2, S2, etc...

Other than those you’ll be hard pressed to find many two channel preamp pedals at all, let alone ones with a built in cab sim

Edit: okay maybe there are some two channel ones out there but not a lot with a dedicated “clean” and a dedicated “high gain”. It’s usually like a rythym & lead, or clean & crunch

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    devastone likes this.
  7. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

The mooer preamp pedals are good for the price. They have models based on metal and non metal amps. Two channels, stored presets for each channel, and built in cab sim also though a 3rd party IR will probably sound better.

Spinedriver and devastone like this.
  8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Doh! Forgot mooer.

9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Half the time I just use garageband and skip anything else altogether. Given I'm not trying to make a professional sounding album, it works fine for my uses. Sure there's better sounding stuff out there, but I'm essentially just creating scratch tracks.

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

If you're using just pedals, you don't need a torpedo, you can just purchase a Two notes C.A.B, which is basically a torpedo for pedals and without a load (so you cant plug an amp on it) for half the price tag. It will allow you more leeway in terms of cabs and microphone emulation than a single fixed out on a pedal.

11. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

The Mooer preamp pedals are great direct into an audio interface. I did demos with 2 or 3 of them and was very impressed with the quality, especially for the price.

12. tender_insanity

tender_insanity SS.org Regular

Recoring with pedals and IR gives quite a nice results. And even with pedal simulator vst's into IR's.
    Like, an instant Steve Vai PAW -era sound is with tube screamer, boss ds-1 and a marshall 4x12 IR.

13. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

You can even play through a cab without an amp.
    I once tried this:
    Guitar -> Pedal -> Interface in -> Interfce out (volume maxed) -> 2x12 cab
    It was loud enough to call it good living room practise volume.
    Should be possible with an ampsim as well.