Can this be done??

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by PetrucciVai, Aug 5, 2009.

1. PetrucciVai

PetrucciVai SS.org Regular

Hey guys, quick question about some pickup replacement..

I have a Schecter C-1 FR (with "duncan designed" active pickups) and a les paul studio (with shitty stock pickups).

I want to buy a D-Sonic/Air norton set for my Schecter, for standard tuning/lighter gauge string stuff, and I wanna take the actives and put em in my LP, for more metal playing/drop-C stuff, etc.

Now I know a bit about soldering and can replace the pickups and everything just fine, and I know the actives use 25k pots and different output jacks and blah blah blah, so I'm thinking I could just take the pickups/pots/battery thing/output jack from the schecter, put em all in the LP, then take the 2 pots/jack out of the LP and put them back into the schecter and throw the DiMarzio's in too and wire 'em both up right, wouldn't that work?

Btw, for anyone wondering, I have played through the "duncan designed" actives AND I have a pair of duncan blackouts in my other schecter, and they sound practically identical, at least in my setup! (the blackouts are still better though, don't sound as processed like EMGs, and are much more responsive to picking dynamics and all that good stuff) :yesway: :yesway:

Anyone who responds/give any input is greatly appreciated!!:hbang:

BrainArt likes this.
  2. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

Seems to me it should work fine, I wouldn't know how, but you'd need to get the extra tone knob to work on the actives and wire the lp pots differently...I think.

3. PetrucciVai

Oh, and another thing I wanna ask...

I haven't ACTUALLY bought the DiMarzio set yet... still deciding on whether to get the plain black ones or a white set, what do you think?

Here's the guitar:
    c-1 fr.jpg

I was originally thinking black, just because I'm not a fan of the crazy colored pickups, but I saw this pic of A7X playing:
    A7X C-1 FR.jpg
    which has white duncans in it, and it actually looks pretty good, so which one?
    I'm actually banking more towards the white now! But they are $10 bucks more on eBay... :(

4. Empryrean

Empryrean Undecided forever

That's pretty much your call dood, but personally. I think the black looks fine in it too :)

5. awesomeaustin

awesomeaustin hates neck pickups. Contributor

I like the black better.

plus, I would do the black just to do opposite of what a7x does

6. The Echthros

The Echthros Stupid, apparently

i think you're going to have an issue with the posts on the pots from the schecter going to the les paul. they may be too short. I bought a set of ZW81/85s which included the short posts for flat topped superstrat guitars and longer posts for les pauls.

only foreseeable difficulty I can anticipate.

oh...go with the white :yesway:

EDIT: Foreseeable problem #2 = you need an extre 25k potentiometer for tone/volume. LPs use two volumes and 2 tones. 25k is standard active pickup rating.

7. PetrucciVai

I lol'd at that one..
    I think I'm gonna go with white though.

Oh and thanks for the heads up about the longer pots, I didn't think about that.

I don't use the tone pots at all really so I was thinking about just taking the 2 vol/1 tone and putting them in the LP and leaving one tone pot unused, I really only use the volumes.

thanks guys!