Can someone reccomend the best way to drill a sperzel?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by bulb, Oct 28, 2009.

1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

I am trying to put a .064 through on my carvin 7 string and it just wont go through, what is the best way to drill the hole safely so i can put the string on?
    or should i just take it to the shop considering i just said drill and i dont actually have a drill haha
    are there any household items i could use to expand the hole slightly?

Konfyouzd likes this.
  2. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

dremmel?

3. Spondus

Spondus SS.org Regular

had a similar problem putting a .70 on my ibanez, but I went for a slightly different solution. Rather than drilling the tuner, I undid a portion of the winding allowing it to go through

4. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

you could just unwind the part of the string that goes into the tuner, so it's just the plain steel core, like the tips of the strings usually are?

it's an easy solution if you don't want to drill.

but if you want to retain the speed of sperzels by drilling it, then obviously unscrew the locking thingy as much as possible, and find a drill bit that is just barely larger than the hole in the tuner itself. find the size that just barely fits, and then use the size right above that, i guess (you could compare the sizes too, and find the bit that is the same size as the string, by looking at the gauges).

i just let a tech/luthier drill the lowest tuner of my intrepid to accept the .74 that went in there. it worked fine, and the tuner looks just as nice as always.

come to think of it, you could get a round file that is thin in one end, and then goes just a teeny bit beyond your required thickness in the other end, and just work your way through with that.

i've only had to drill one tuner ever, and i didn't even do that myself, so...

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

maybe one of those circular files if you have one...? :shrug:

i was hoping this thread would be the easiest way to drill the holes for the little peg on the back. :lol:

i have a set of sperzels just sitting around because i haven't figured how to drill the hole w/o ruining my headstock and i refuse to pay someone for something that i'll find out later was really easy. :lol:

6. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Call up Sperzel, and say, "Bob, could you please drill out a tuner for me? I need it to fit a .064 string. Thanks!"

jymellis likes this.
  7. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Resisting urge to make OT comment about Misha "drilling something" and a tiny hole... :rofl: :wub:

On a serious note: Either MF's suggestion of just using the core of the string or Darren's idea to call Sperzel directly and see if they can send you one pre-drilled might be your best bet Misha. :yesway:

8. Slamp

Slamp SS.org Regular

I have used the small round file approach with success to fit an .080 string through my tuner:yesway:

9. xtrustisyoursx

xtrustisyoursx SS.org Regular

I've really found unwinding the string to be the safest and easiest bet.

10. dudeskin

dudeskin SS.org Regular

blowtourch it :rolleyes:
    or give the lot to me :wavey:

11. Demeyes

Demeyes SS.org Regular

When I needed to fit in a bigger string I used the unwinding method. It worked out great for me but if you change strings often it could be a bit of a pain to do all the time.

12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

yeah on tour we change every 2-3 shows, so i really need to drill it
    im not a very handy guy so i dont have a round file, could i get that from a regular hardware store? i might do that or just take it to a shop tomorrow and see if they would do it!

13. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

Depending on what type of hardware store, you're probably unlikely to find a decent selection of files. Home Depot and Lowe's, for example, both let me down when I needed a .074 gauge file for my Intrepid's nut.

I'd like to drill out my F# tuner. It's a huge pain to have to unwind it. But I'm really hesitant to do it myself.

14. Elysian

Elysian Banned

It's pretty easy Misha. Unscrew the locking button thing(on the backside of the tuner) all the way, it'll come off, there is a metal shaft that runs up through the tuner, inside of the actual post, remove that(it should just fall out or slide out). Then drill it. Take the tuner out for best results. I wouldn't go any further than .080 for structural integrity.

15. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

Shouldn't the openings be filed a bit so there's no sharp edges hitting the string?

16. Elysian

Elysian Banned

Sure.

17. DaveCarter

DaveCarter Melowiddler

I had to drill out a Sperzel for a 0.64 recently, I actually did it by hand instead of using a drill. Just find the right size drill bit (next size up from the one that fits through) and slowly twist it back n forward in the hole until its through. If the strings still wont fit, try the next size up until the string does fit. Worked a trick for me :)

18. Bevo

Bevo SS.org Regular

Dave, thats a great idea if the metal is that soft.

Most drill bits come with a case to fit the bits, put the string into the hole to check size.

19. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Misha - Call up Greg @ Metro Guitars (he's in Arlington so he's not far from you) and ask him if he can help you out. His prices are very reasonable and he's a very cool guy with quick turnaround, tell him you're my buddy and he'll take care of you. :D Chuck's might do it too but Greg is closer and I'd vouch for his work any day of the week. :yesway:

20. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

get a friends drill, get the bit you need size wise, bring the clamp ping inside as far down as it will go, drill, try the string , repeat until it goes thru, i did that to get a .60 in there and it worked great.

although I'm now at .58's