Can someone give me the rundown on wiring selector switches?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by JustinRhoads1980, Jun 22, 2018.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I have been learning on my own how to do soldering because I am experimenting with different sounds and might need to go through a few pickups to find what I like. I decided to learn since I think it is a bit much to pay somebody $75 for replacing the pickups in a guitar when I can do it and it is fairly straight forward since I am not dealing with any advanced wiring (Coil taps, Kill Switches, Etc.)

So I know how the wiring works for a toggle switch while spending 15 minutes looking at my jackson's wiring and was like "Yeah this seems to be pretty straight forward" and I thought well if I can understand that in as little amount as time for that it should be easier on a 3 way switch or 5 way.

So wrong

I popped off the hood of my schecter since I didn't want to bother with the pickguard on my strat and was looking at it in confusion not know where to start and then ended up just now having a precedent of me believing that I should do any soldering inside guitars with that switch since I do not understand how to wire up the switch and such.

So can someone please just run down through the basics of how to solder one and what each little notch is for?

[​IMG]

I would like to learn and am curious on how it works since I might want to change the bridge pickup in my strat.

Also I will probably start threads later on asking about other wirings for other advanced stuff (at least to me ATM)

Anyways thanks for reading and any help is appreciated!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

wiring pickups is pretty easy. just follow diagrams from either dimarzio or duncan (i prefer dimarzio's diagrams since they have tons more options and are easy to follow).
    and yes, you can use any diagram with any pickup brand, you just need to substitute in the corresponding wires.
    pretty comprehensive list of pickup wire color codes:
    https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/humbucker-wire-color-codes/
    some switches:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    even more switches:
    https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/pickup-switch-terminal-connections/

3. JustinRhoads1980

The thing is though on the top diagram is what do the numbers 0,1,3,5 correspond to?

Also from the 1 on the red to the left, after you solder one connection onto it, you would just get a hookup wire solder it to it and then the other end across to the other 1?

4. KnightBrolaire

those numbers are just showing you how they're related in case you need to switch from import switches to fender styled 5 ways. They also show you how the switch works to an extent.
    Here's a pretty simple example
    http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/2h1v_3w_all.pdf
    Basically if you wanted 1 to be the bridge pickup, you'd solder the red wire (dimarzios)/ black (duncans) to 1 and 3 on its side. 3 is the middle position and combines both pickups. 5 on the other side would be the neck pickup then and also gets soldered to 3 on its side. The 0s are jumpered and go to the volume pot, which gives you a master volume pot.

5. JustinRhoads1980

and is that in a 5 way switch or a 3 way? I only have 3 ways.

6. KnightBrolaire

same concept with the 3 way switch. just reference the other pic I posted at the beginning. so 0 to 0 and then to vol, A1/A2= soldered to bridge hot wire (red for dimarzio, black for duncan) B2/B3= soldered to neck.
    you could literally follow the dimarzio diagram I posted previously (unless you have 2 vol 2 tone, then it's slightly different).