Can anyone identify how to play these chords? (FFAA)

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by AntonioPetrole, Mar 25, 2017.

1. AntonioPetrole

AntonioPetrole SS.org Regular

Hey all!

So I'm working on a full cover for Fit For An Autopsy's new song "Black Mammoth". I tabbed out the song in guitar pro along with the drums, bass etc and I'm gonna do a full cover with vocals of the song. The only thing I'm stuck on right now is I cannot for the life of me figure out how to play 2 chords in the song. The big ringing one at 0:24 and the other open ringing one at 3:33. The song is in Drop G on a 7 string.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! They just put out a playthrough of this song as well but when I look at the video, everytime combination that it looks like I try and it doesn't sound anything like it. I'll share the guitar pro as well if anyone wants it once I figure these out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxLYJJnlGs8

2. shaunduane

shaunduane SS.org Regular

I don't have a guitar near to check, but for that sound I always used open on the high E and B, and then third fret on the G string. Sometimes open on E, B, & G, and then third fret on the D string. Just depends on the sound I'm going for.

I got that trick from learning some Contortionist songs a few years ago, where that's 100% what they're playing. Try that out? I'll edit this after I get a guitar in my hands and see.

Edit: Just watched the play thru. Looks kinda like a open on high E and B, 7th fret on the G? I'm not sure. Huh.

3. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

The second chord (3:33) is really simple:

D| 0
    A| 0
    F| 5
    C|
    G|
    D|
    G|

and the variation he strums is

D| 0-0-0-0--0-
    A| 0-0-0-0--0-
    F| 4-4-4-4^-4-
    C|
    G|
    D|
    G|

^ = half step bend

The chord at 0:24 is a little tougher, and I'm pretty sure he botched it in the playthrough. There's a low root note you can hear that he doesn't play, and his hands do that spazz thing where you realize you're about to brainfart. This is why I hate multi-angle, multi-take playthrough vids, especially when there's clearly no audible, isolated live track. The guy is miming in front of a camera. Anyway...

Here's my take on the first chord:

D| 0
    A| 0
    F| 0
    C| 0
    G| 0
    D|
    G| 1

That low G# is loud and clear, and I hear the inverted min2 dissonance around that note, hence the open G string above it.

4. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

You're welcome, by the way. Next time you ask someone to transcribe for you, you should show some appreciation.

5. AntonioPetrole

AntonioPetrole SS.org Regular

Oof, didn't mean to offend you man. Completely slipped my mind, thanks for tabbing that out.