Cakewalk by Bandlab - best free DAW?!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by shnizzle, Nov 16, 2018.

1. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

Anybody else seen this?

https://cakewalk.bandlab.com/

It´s basically what used to be Sonar. It was bought up by Bandlab and they offer it for free. I´ve been fiddling with it the last two days. Pretty cool how it works. You can build a complete analog recording and mixing chain. And the effects that come with it are amazing. I still need to get used to a couple of things, but I might actually switch to this from Studio One. Thoughts?

2. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Join us at the Church of Reaper, the one true DAW. With an unlimited track out, customizable layout and themes, and low CPU usage. Reaper will lead you down the path of righteousness and hassle free mixing.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

This.

Sonar was the first DAW I ever used, and the one or two screenshots they show look pretty slick... But this was announced April 2018 and the link to download the DAW just brings you back to the main page, so they're about 6 months behind...

Reaper rules though, and is super flexible.

TedEH likes this.
  4. will_shred

I tried studio one, I didn't appreciate that I couldn't use third party VST's without buying the $300 version. I own pro tools, but if you want to use more than 32 tracks, you'll need to shell out $1700 for "pro tools ultimate" which is a fucking joke. Also, you have to jump through like 10 hoops just to install protools, as well as buying an ilok, and making an account with them, and installing their software. When I bought a new PC and needed a new reaper license, I just emailed customer support and they said "here ya go" and that was that. Just get Reaper. JOIN US.

5. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

the download worked just fine for me. you need to click on "get early access", then on the next page on "download". done. Reaper is fine and all, but the plugins that come with Cakewalk are just too good to pass by. i tried Reaper some time ago, and from what i remember the way it handles midi is pretty weird and totally put me off.

6. ExileMetal

ExileMetal SS.org Regular

I found SONAR to be much better than Reaper, personally. I find the workflow and UI much more intuitive. Cakewalk just has way more history of iteration and professional use. I got both for free, and for me there is no comparison IMO.

EDIT: I agree on the Reaper midi bugs, that was probably the worst part for me.

Masoo2 likes this.
  7. will_shred

tbh I've never tried Sonar but it looks pretty sweet

8. FwLineberry

FwLineberry User of Registers

Downloaded and installed it a while back, but haven't had much of a chance to use it. I've been using Reaper and loving it, but I have a bunch of old Sonar files I'd like to dig through at some point.

9. Pr0z4kk

Pr0z4kk SS.org Regular

Sonar was my first DAW and I moved to cakewalk 2-3 months ago.

It has a built in channel strip, summing amp thingy. It comes with free String Section, Synth,Bass an Drum vst's(pretty shit though). It even comes with "Trigger",pretty trash but It allows you to convert audio track to midi very easily.

64 bit floating point, live audio bouncing option, extremely easy to freeze and export audio, as many tracks and busses as you desire, you can enable plugin load balancing that spreads cpu usage among cores evenly(instead of putting bulk of load on the 1st core)

Only bad thing is exporting tempo from midi's(Can't do it once you've started a session) and inablity to use track templates mid session.

10. ExileMetal

ExileMetal SS.org Regular

You can, solo the track and save it as Cakewall Midi Format.

11. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

This is wrong.

32 tracks? You mean 32 simultaneous hardware inputs which is more than enough for all but gigantic band sessions. You're limited to 128 simultaneous Audio tracks, and 512 instrument tracks, and 128 Auxiliaries.

Unless you're not commiting anything or doing session management you shouldn't need any more that that, and if you're doing sessions that big you're a professional like me and the cost is tax deductible and a business not a personal cost.

Reaper is great and does many things well. So does Studio One, so does Pro Tools, so does Logic.

As far as I'm aware it doesn't have ARA support which is as big a reason as any not to change.

12. Pr0z4kk

Pr0z4kk SS.org Regular

I meant imporrt not export. my bad

13. will_shred

I stand corrected

14. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

made a video on my impressions of Cakewalk.

mlaykay likes this.
  15. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Tried it. The UI felt really claustrophobic when I opened it up the first time and it was having a shitfit with Steven Slate Drums (UI wouldn't load properly in the plugin window, random samples were glitching out on me during playback), so I'll just stick with Reaper for now. If I'm gonna get a new DAW it will be the professional version of Studio One.