CAGED system for a newbie; Martin Miller lesson?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Randy, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

So, I've basically been a pentatonic and 3 note per string guy my whole life. I've got a pretty good grasp of the fretboard in terms of playing in key and over changes, mostly by ear but also by shape.

While I'm mostly happy with what I can do now as far as moving around the fretboard and improvising, one of the main things I've been lacking is playing over non-traditional chords or integrating them into my playing/writing. You can do both through 3 note per string just fine but I usually have to count my steps/intervals if I'm doing anything besides basic major/minor which has limited my improvisation and writing.

I've dabbled in CAGED once or twice, and I think both techniques (3NPS and CAGED) have their blind spots if you use them exclusively, but the one thing I DID like about CAGED was it's basis in chord shapes. The problem I had in the written (and a couple youtube videos as well) lessons I've run through was that they all start off really basic and then shoot way up the theory ladder without a lot of practical implementation, and I get either lost or bored.

I saw a recent Martin Miller youtube video where he's talking about CAGED and his JamTrack improv masterclass, and it sounded a little closer to what I need to sink my teeth into. I'm looking to see if anyone here is familiar with it, if it worked for them or if there's a different path that'd help me out.

Thanks in advance.

The trailler for those who are unfamiliar:

Deadpool_25 and odibrom like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Ooh, Degrasse Tyson-son Super Moderator

3. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

I have the Miller video and it's really good and I'd highly recommend it, that being said I am still terrible because I lack the discipline to actually do what he tells you to do :D

Deadpool_25 and Randy like this.