BUZZ feiten tuning..help

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vejichan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I need help. My guitar has the buzz feiten system. . I dont think i am liking the elixirs on my guitar. It was setup with elixirs. If i switch the elixer nanowebs 10 gauge strings to Daddario balanced tension 10 gauge strings. Check the website for the individual string info..they are similar but not exact. i was recording last night with the new strings and i noticed that in the higher strings the notes are off..especially with the low a and low e strings. All strings below 12th fret are ok but they get drastically sharp from 15fret up. I didnt notice this with the elixirs. What should i do?

2. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

You have to intonate the guitar using the correct Feiten offsets for the new strings. Easiest thing to do is pick up a tuner that has the Buzz Feiten offsets/Tuning built in and intonate using that mode.

A quick fix for right now that may help is to tune an "E" on each string. Open 6th string, 7th fret on the A, 2nd fret on the D, etc. You should get a bit more even intonation across the fretboard, but you're still going to have to intonate the guitar to return back to the working Feiten system. Then again, you may still be pretty out of tune higher up because of the different strings.

3. odibrom

odibrom .

What is the difference in using a tuner with and without the Buzz Feiten offsets when tuning a guitar like that? Can't a regular chromatic tuner do the job as well? What tuners are there with such specs? Can they be found in mobile versions like Android or iOS...?

4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I use a Peterson Strobostomp. Got one from GC used for like $45.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

With an electronic tuner with a readout in cents, tune the open strings all two cents flat, except the high e and high b. Tune the high b one cent sharp and the high e to standard tuning. Now set the 12th fret intonation to standard, except for the middle g and middle d strings, which should be one cent sharp. Make sure that you continually correct the tuning of the open string as you move the saddles to set intonation, and use the peak tuning values, not where the note settles after ringing out (per Feiten's instructions).

6. odibrom

odibrom .

nice, thanks... a regular nut for this table with a bit of icing sugar on top please...

7. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I swapped the strings from elixers to daddario but now my bfts is sharp above the 12th fret and in tune under the 12th fret. What should i do?