Buying first 7 string..

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by jcl2010, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jcl2010

jcl2010 SS.org Regular

I'm about to purchase my first 7 string and I've been looking at agile. I cant decide if the pro model septor is worth 300 more than the RN version (I plan on switching out the pickups regardless.) I like neck-thru guitars and that seems to be the big difference, but the specs of each neck are almost identical. Any comments or insight will be appreciated!

2. blckrnblckt

blckrnblckt SS.org Regular

I believe RN just means a rosewood fingerboard. It might not be worth 300 more, but there might be a small difference if you play them side by side. If you can find one with a hipshot bridge though, it would be a plus.

3. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

How much are you willing to throw at this guitar? There are a ton of good 7 strings nowadays so you shouldn't limit yourself to agile (although they can be great).

Do you want a trem? Scale length preferences? And are you okay with carved neck heels instead of neck-thru?

Edit: I believe that the Hipshots are being phased out for their own in-house hardtail. Dayum shame too.

4. jcl2010

jcl2010 SS.org Regular

I'm looking to spend between 5-8 hundred all together but I know I really want juggernauts in it. I don't want a trem on it, scale length would preferably be 25-27. The reason I looked into agile initially is because I feel the necks on RG's are to thin.

5. jcl2010

jcl2010 SS.org Regular

Oh and I would prefer a neck through because I am more used to them. But it isn't a dealbreaker

6. Shimme

Shimme Wants a Seven String

A Jackson SLATTXMG3-7 SOLOIST could be your thing. They have a really nice fast radiuse neck that still has enough chunk that your hand doesn't cramp if you try and play chords. Solid quality, cool looks (at least IMO :lol: ) neck through and reasonably priced. They are on the higher end of your range though so if those emgs don't work for you you could always sell them towards those juggernauts.

7. jcl2010

jcl2010 SS.org Regular

Awesome I'll check it out!