Buying a guitar with a cracked headstock?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Wolfos, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

I'm not sure if I should be posting this up here or on the normal forum but I figured who better to ask then all you Luther's.

I've been looking to buy a Music Man Majesty 7 string for a very long time and I've found one that is selling for $1000 less than normal because it has a cracked headstock. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it was worth it. Can it be fixed and can it be fixed cheap enough for it to be worth it. Here's a picture below.

[​IMG]

Any info and advice would be great. Saving $1000 is awesome but not if it cost $1000 to fix lol.

2. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I'd never buy a guitar with a broken head stock unless it was dirt cheap.
    Just remember the value if you try to trade or sell it on.

3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Never in a million years.

4. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

That bad? Like I said I'm not a Luthier so I don't know these things but why not? Can't it be fixed?

5. HighPotency

HighPotency SS.org Regular

It can be fixed, but it's kind of like buying a car with a rebuilt title. It might look pretty close to mint and play really well, but you can never guarantee it will be completely perfect. As others mentioned, the value will also fall tremendously even with the repair so you don't want to buy something that might not work out and you don't want to keep.

6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Do you have someone you trust and know how much it will cost to fix? I think you'll be surprised how much the repair is.

7. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

It depends on the severity of the crack, IMO. There's no way I could tell without seeing it in person, but that kind of thing can be a bitch to fix. As others have mentioned, there's also no guarantee that it will be stable after being repaired. I would only buy a damaged guitar if I was confident I could fix it myself (I'm the only person I know personally that's into working on guitars, so no help from a friend). Repair costs from shops are (I'm assuming) usually pretty high for things like this, because there's quite a bit of work involved. You're probably better off looking for another.

8. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

Shoot I didn't realize it was that serious. It looked like a hairline Crack. I'm Shocked the guy is still selling it for $2,800 CAD.

9. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

I live in a very rural area so there are no Luthiers even around. I'm Definitely going to avoid it. No wonder, I guess if it was an easy fix it'd be sold already.

10. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Good choice :yesway: If you were handy yourself you could fix it but like I said before, the purchase price would have to be crazy cheap.
    A lot of people will tell you its an easy fix but it never is with a neck break. Getting an invisible finish is the hardest part.

11. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Actually, IMHO, a cracked head is worse than a broken, properly re-glued head.
    The cracked head could break at some point, and even if not, how on earth can the crack be fixed?

I have an old Dan Armstrong that once was tilted, resulting in a broken head.
    It's been glued back on and works just as well as before.

However, due to Mr. Armstrong's use of thick and insanely strong two-component lacquer, the sharply defined crack-edges weren't finished too nicely, and hence, Danny Boy has zero selling value.
    Not that I'm interested in selling this lovely mahogany slab anyways.. ;)

12. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

That's exactly what I meant when I said it would be a pain in the ass to fix. It's pretty much impossible to make that guitar look like new again. If I were fixing it, I'd strip the neck and switch to an oil and wax finish after gluing it up. Much easier than trying to match the color perfectly and seamlessly blend it into the factory finish after the gluing, clamping, and sanding.