Buyer Beware - Line 6 Relay G90

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by DevinShidaker, Aug 12, 2013.

1. frogunrua

frogunrua Lord of the Afros

I won't buy another line 6 wireless system. My older xds+ receiver has always had problems picking up the transmitter and now just will not pick it up at all.

2. Sinborn

Sinborn Tube Guru

3. svenlk

svenlk SS.org Regular

nice review man, thanks for the heads up I was actually looking into one of these wireless systems

4. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

I've run into a few problems with our G50 systems too, used to use a G90 but a floor based version works better for us as we fly a lot.
    a few tips:

-always keep a spare pack for everybody
    -always gaff the cable into the transmitter
    -always use aftermarket cables, we get ours from guitar-cable.com and they're fantastic. The stock shure/line6 ones are rubbish.
    -Change batteries every 2-3 shows and always use on high power mode. After 3 shows even if the meter isn't depleted change it anyway.
    -only use good batteries - energizer and duracel seem to be the only two brands that work properly
    -always lock the unit when you play
    -get yourself a neoprene wireless pouch, most problems with packs are caused by sweat getting inside and corroding the contents
    -remove the pack from the pouch immediately after playing and store somewhere where it is well protected and cant move, preferably have them in something like a rack tray or pelican case with foam cutouts and a few silica gel sachets to dry up any moisture
    -clean the contacts on the cables once a week on the road.
    -make sure you are using a regulated power supply, they seem to be super finnicky about this, even the G90

5. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

I had the same issue with you regarding the drops in signal...until, I found out via line6 forums that these wireless systems have 2 main sources of Kryptonite.

1. Cell Phones....is there an iPhone near you sending a text, get ready for a loss of signal. I can't give specifics but i can tell you this is true in general as a iphone user.

2. Seems like a no brainer, but it never occured to me. The wireless reciever needs to not be near metal surfaces. Attaching mine directly to my Axefx unit for example, gave me a completely non functional unit. One I moved the receiver though, I have never had any more drop outs. Hope this helps.

6. Hammer

Hammer SS.org Regular

What type of mobile network does interfere with the wireless unit? 4G, 3G or regular old boring 2G GSM? They are on different frequencies. For example if you run your phone in 3G mode you don't get that annoying sound in speakers when it connects to the network. Maybe a simple setting in the phone's menu could reduce signal loss and keep you available for calls and texts.

7. Steve-Om

Steve-Om SS.org Regular

WOW...I was just about to pull the trigger on a G50...

So, the G50 and G90 are sturdier...but the G30, being the cheaper of the three, is more reliable?

Also, which alternatives would you suggest? Im also looking to buy a wireless unit.

EDIT: lets talk about a price point similar to the G50

8. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Same here dude, i've had mine for going on 4 years and not had 1 issue, that sucks that yours took a dump on ya. Have you tried out different transmitters?

9. Steve-Om

Steve-Om SS.org Regular

just bought a G30!

cant wait to test it live and let you know how it fares

10. Jambanes

Jambanes Washcloth

11. last_for_death

last_for_death ss.org lite

4 years strong. No problems, whatsoever...other than batteries being fed to it.

12. exarchangel

exarchangel Guitarist

ive got the G50, i agree completely, the cable they provide is GARBAGE. I bought a mogami cable with nuetrik connectors on it from a guy in UK on ebay, thing hasn't failed me, although it did cost me around 50 bucks, it was completely worth it.

13. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

This^ also, if you need another cheap replacement, check out shure's cables. I snagged one for 15 bucks on zzounds.

14. shanejohnson02

shanejohnson02 Hammer of the Gods

I've used my G30 for a few years without a problem, and that's after spilling Dr. Pepper all over it and leaving a sticky residue.

I replaced the cable right off the bat though because it felt cheap.