Buy Strandberg Boden OS 7 or Axe fx/Helix

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by wrathchild86, Jul 21, 2016.

1. wrathchild86

wrathchild86 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I've recently come into a bit of cash and was wondering what you guys thought I should upgrade in my rig. Currently playing a Schecter Blackjack 7string (the older blackjack with JB/Jazz set) through a Line 6 POD HD500x. I've wanted a strandberg boden os 7 for a while now given how comfortable it's supposed to be. Plus I think my smaller hands will tolerate it's shorter multiscale neck over the 26.5" scale on my blackjack.

Was curious what you guys thought was more important to upgrade first though, the guitar or processor.

I'm currently leaning towards the strandberg, as I've been fairly happy with POD HD500x since I've had it. Been able to dial in tones to reasonable satisfaction and dual amp as well.

Thanks

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

the bodens are really nice. I have an OS8 and I love it except for the strap/screw placement on the top horn (it's on the back and it digs into my chest like crazy, so I took it out ). If you're comfortable with your tone from your amp then grab the guitar. It's a pretty easy switch to multiscale or at least it was for me from a regular 7.

3. DarthV

DarthV SS.org Regular

I'd probably go amp/modeler first, but that's just me.

4. Razerjack

Razerjack SS.org Regular

Go with the Strandberg and live a happy life ;)

5. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

They are both good investments. I'd go with whatever will inspire you to play music more.

6. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Yeah, if you've already got the POD tweaked to your liking, and are happy with your sound/tone...

Grab a new weapon. Those Strandies are super enticing.

I wanna try a Plini model in the worst way.

7. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Helix or ax8 would be my suggestion.

8. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I'd pick AxeFX myself, and that's not just because of my lack of interest in Strandbergs.

The improvement you'd get tone-wise from upgrading your rig is FAR more noticeable than if you just upgraded the guitar. A good rig can make a "meh" guitar sound awesome... doesn't work so much the other way around, as far as I've experienced.

I've also got an HD500X, and I'm happy with the results I'm getting, but I'd jump at the opportunity to grab an AxeFX if I could afford it just so I'd have more models and tweaking possibilities to choose from to nail that perfect tone.

And I'm pretty sure there's cheaper multiscale guitars out there too, if the primary focus is more on comfort than tone.

9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Axe-Fx or Helix, depending on if you can also afford the output device to make the most of them. They sound best when using their own cab sims so either active monitors if you only use them at home/studio or some FRFR solution if you plan to gig with them.

10. wrathchild86

That's a good point about the monitors, I didn't think of that. My monitors right now serve their purpose, buy would need to upgrade them if I'm going for a higher end modeller to get the full benefit.

Really appreciate the responses, I've been leaning towards the strandberg, but looking into a a helix with a pair yamaha HS's. From I understand you can't dual amp your signal with AX8 and I dont know if I could swing an Axe-fxII with a footswitch and better monitors.

11. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

This.

I will say though if you are in a band and gigging it may benefit you more to get the Axe?

12. wrathchild86

Yeah that makes sense but I'm not in a band, just play at home. I agree with him as well, just need to decide which one will inspire me more!!

13. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Not sure how that statement holds any ground. At the moment I run my helix into a power amp into an Orange PPC212 cab and it sounds great. Sims are good but as we all know it will never be the same as the real deal.

14. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You lose a lot of versatility by running into a real guitar cab. I did this too when I first bought an Axe. The amp models sound a lot more alike if you don't use the cab sims. It still sounds good of course but if you for example want a Vox AC30 simulation you get much closer to their sound by using a cab sim of a 1x12 with Alnico Blues than you would get running into a 2x12 with V30s. Depending on the poweramp it can also have a noticeable effect on the tone. The only neutral sounding tube poweramp I've experienced is the one in my Atomic FR.