Bush, Gore, and Genocide.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bigheadood, Jan 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. bigheadood

bigheadood Metallurgist

Very cynical history lesson, mixed with communist dogma. But its an interesting read. Full article Here

2. drshock

drshock Street-good guy

Interesting. It's funny how some politicians like Gore will be glorified for energy resource when they are completly ignoring pressing issues like povery, famine, and oppression.

But instead, they are trying to make to world last longer so more and more hatred can occur, and to leave those already helpless to die slow and painfully to disease or hunger.

3. noodles

noodles Contributor

Oh, give me a fucking break. Do you know how much produce we destroy in this country? It's called farm subsidies. the US government promises a minimum price on a crop, which is higher than the open market. So, large factory farms sell to the government, who destroy the crop, and we import produce from other countries at inflated rates.

If we actually made the large factory farms compete in the open market, and didn't have enough food to go around, then maybe I could see the point to this argument. However, we have people going hungry while we waste food. :noway:

4. Born_Headless

Born_Headless Frolics in pathos

Yeah, I saw "News You Won't Find On CNN" at the top of the page and decided to not even read it. :noplease:

5. noodles

noodles Contributor

Oh, I have big problems with CNN, too. They're just as slanted as every other major news outlet in this country. However, I certainly am not trusting anything from that bullshit Information Clearing House. :noway:

6. bigheadood

bigheadood Metallurgist

I certainly won't defend the Anti-Establishment granola-farting fruit bats on information clearing house. I just thought it was interesting. I'm not trying to make anyone angry, just informed about what the 'extremists' are thinking.

7. noodles

noodles Contributor

Sorry, didn't mean to give you the impression that I was angry. Debate tends to get pretty lively in P&CE, but it's all in the spirit of discussion. One of the other mods or myself would--and do--step in on the occassion that someone gets out of line.

8. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

The push for biofuel made from corn is getting a big push by lobbyists. there are more efficient plants to make fuel from but they lack the profitability to folks like ADM. Those corporate farms should produce these plants, even if they are subsidized.

9. Born_Headless

Born_Headless Frolics in pathos

I'm not saying I trust CNN or anything. It's just that that was a pretty big sign to me this was a bullshit source.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's really only a SMALL part of the picture.

Even most of the "Gore-like Politicians" think corn-based biofuel is a two-edged sword, largely because as you point out it's a valid food source. However, as noodles points out, biofuel is the last thing we need to worry about here since corn farming is so heavily subsidized to protect prices (little fuzzy here, but my recollection is the US gov't basically buys and destroys any excess corn to keep market prices artificially high), and if you really want to go down that road, it's worth noting that it takes something like 18 pounds of corn to produce one pound of beef, so if we REALLY wanted to end world hunger, we should all switch to a vegetarian diet, so we can increase food production 18 fold.

Of course, the article presupposes corn is the only way to make biofuel. Last I heard, a canadian company had found a more energy-efficient, higher yielding way to do it from waste wood left over from the lumber industry.

I don't know if these guys actually believe this or have been bought out by the GOP and Big Oil, but this is a VERY biased look at a much more complex picture.

11. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

Article is painfully retarded.

12. bigheadood

bigheadood Metallurgist

+1

13. noodles

noodles Contributor

:agreed:

Switchgrass grows readily, is easily cultivated and harvested, and makes a far more efficient fuel source. Corn is actually one of the most inefficient plants to make biofuels out of. Meanwhile, switchgrass can be grown in all the places that are currently unsuitable for pasture land.

Of course, our government doesn't actually want to solve the problem. They want to make the oil companies money, which is why the keep going the corn route. Eventually, there will be the throwing up of hands and exclamations of, "ethanol doesn't work, see, we tried." :noplease:

14. shadowgenesis

shadowgenesis Yarrrrrr

i think i'm gonna put that on a t-shirt. thanks

this is a really distressing subject to read about because everything you've just stated is completely true. I feel like i need to start taking more initiative as an individual to make a difference, but i don't know where to start.

15. Popsyche

Popsyche Contributor

Switchgrass! that's the stuff I read about! Screwit! Let's start growing our own!:agreed:

16. noodles

noodles Contributor

You know the best thing about it, Bill? It will grow practically anywhere, for a good part of the year, without much water. It is the perfect stuff for fuel.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Don't get me wrong, shadowgenesis, I'm not going to quit eating beef anytime soon, but that's the one legitimate argument for a vegetarian lifestyle I've ever heard.

18. Jongpil Yun

Jongpil Yun Contributor

I may listen to that argument when we have 11 or 12 billion people. As it stands, we have the potential for a huge food surplus.

19. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

as if adequate food production in the world isnt happening for any other reason than money? glah.

and as if adequate fuel production was any different.

:( /depressed.

something that is true in that article is "the world is sitting on the brink of a major food crisis".

this is of course because no one has yet found a way to make copious amounts of $$$ from feeding africa.

20. noodles

noodles Contributor

^ You hit the nail on the head. We don't look at human problems that we should act as a race to fix. We look at monetary problems and how we will afford to fix things, when the concept of money is completely fabricated.