Bunks First Build.

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bunkatronic, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Bunkatronic

Bunkatronic SS.org Regular

Hi to everyone at SSO, I’m Bunk.

I’ve lurked this forum for many years and after a lots of research, video watching and inspiration from this forum I have finally found the courage to actually go ahead and start my first build. Thought I’d start a Thread to keep track of everything’s progress and get feedback. I’m not a total stranger to woodwork so I have chosen to build something I think will be doable but still challenging for my skill and equipment level. That said if I’m making any really glaring errors or you have any advice please chip in! I’m all ears!

So, the build! 26.5 scale Seven string telecaster with a reversed head stock.

Materials: I have a telecaster body blank from years ago that I should be able to use in some form or another for the build. I think it’s ash but i’m not 100% on that, I will upload a picture to get verification. The top will be poplar burl as pictured, the neck will be a flamed/Curly maple (I’m not exactly sure what cut the blank is, I did ask for quarter-sawn and you can see it in the pictures so someone might be able to confirm this for me?) The neck with be laminated with 2 x 2mm wenge stripes and will have 2 carbon fibre strengthening rods as well as a 2 way truss rod. The fret board will be Birdseye maple and the head stock will have a flamed maple veneer from the neck blank offcut as I had to buy an extra long blank.

For finish I’m thinking I will stain the poplar burl top a black/ dark silver-grey burst, finishing really black at the edges and then clear coat and polish the top. I thought clear-coating and polishing the top but then everything on the body from the binding back would be oiled to give it a more natural feel. I’m not sure if this is the done thing, it just seemed like a cool idea, open to suggestions on this. Everything including neck and headstock will have an off white binding.

I’ve ordered some templates from a company for a 26.5 inch scale 7 string body and neck as it had the scale I wanted as soon as they turn up I’ll get cracking. I will reduce the body thickness down though to get rid of some of the weight on the body.

Pickups I’ll be going for bare knuckle impulses or nailbomb 7’s as I’ve heard both of these in the flesh in lower tunings and really liked both. I’ve already got the BKP pot, switch and wiring set I just need to grab the pickups and a hipshot 7 bridge later on down the line all hardware in black of course :)

I’ve attached a picture of some of the wood I have so far. My iPhone seems to have crapped out a bit with the picture but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Hope to hear from any of you with questions or tips, I’m sure there’s tonnes of stuff I haven’t thought about. My Provisional name for this project is "Doomcaster" hehehe

Bunk

KR250, lewis, Kyle01 and 2 others like this.
  2. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Welcome!

Superb wood choices there dude, looking forward to seeing the build come together :)

Bunkatronic likes this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Welcome! But, if you have decent wood working skills, I feel like you're missing an opportunity here. Hear me out: "Bunk's Bunks - YOUR exotic wood bunk bed source. Since 2018. Because the hardest decision is top or bottom - not where to buy your best bunk!"

budda and Bunkatronic like this.
  4. Bunkatronic

Hahahaha incredible, why did I not think of this!

5. Bunkatronic

*Edit, sat in a costa updating this and didn’t realise photobucket would fail so miserably on mobile so will update pics when I am home* A quick update, I’ve started the first steps building the neck. My bandsaw was in a pretty bad state and needed a new blade and a lot of fiddling with but I finally got it cutting right again. This is the result, maple/ wenge laminate blank. I’m super happy with how accurate the saw cut this, don’t think I’ve held my breath for so long befor ewhikst doing a cut haha. I’m going to glue and clamp this tonight with some epoxy then mark all locations for routering.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 8:16 AM
  6. Bunkatronic

So here is the photo of the woods for the neck cut and placed together.
    B2288257-6212-4E34-B5C9-BCBBC3445DC3_zpsuxnex7j0.jpeg

I read a tip for Burled tops that said if you put on a coat of epoxy on the whole back side, then take it back it adds a bit of extra stability. The grain came up nicely in this process, starting to get me excited for staining.

1647340A-809D-4935-96B4-9FA7E8B4E0BD_zpsjz44p8kt.jpeg

I realised that the telecaster body I wanted to use would never fit properly with a seven string neck so had the idea of using a bit of walnut I had to make a couple of stripes that would run through the body and give me the extra room to re-carve the neck pocket heel shape, move the bolt holes. pickups etc. The body is going to be 32-34mm overall thickness with a top of 6/8mm depending on how much I have to take off the top to get it looking nice so I put all of the bits back through and thicknessed them so everything sits now at 26mm thick.
    0907D3DC-F45B-4A7C-93AE-7EB07F32410E_zpsgrptmzvc.jpeg F1E774F7-E74A-4382-9C7A-51F2A16B6E87_zpsgwxubxzm.jpeg 55A73AB2-58B9-43B5-9002-9F80C340D5E7_zpsolfitvwd.jpeg

Clamping the neck up after gluing. I did not anticipate how messy this would be. Hopefully the clamps give enough pressure.

460A643A-8ECB-455A-B86D-91BEDF95D1CD_zpslkdp4yec.jpeg

KR250 likes this.
  7. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Oh nice! Looking great.