Buildprocess - Skervesen Shoggie DC 6

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by raytsh, May 25, 2018.

1. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

Hi guys,

I'm Currently building a Skervesen again. I'll try to keep the thread updated until the guitar is done. :)

Specs:

Model: Shoggie DC 6
    Headstock: (Headpiece) SkerveTEN
    Neck: 5-piece wenge-maple bolt-on neck
    Scale: 25.5''
    Fretboard: birdseye maple
    Fretboard Radius: 14-16''
    Inlay: treble side offset pattern, Luminlay dots
    Body: swamp ash
    Top: walnut
    Color: natural
    Finish: satin
    Pickups: Fishman Fluence Modern, brushed steel cover
    Knobs: Hipshot Products Inc O-ring
    Tuner/Bridge: ABM headless with ABM single string locks
    Hardware Color: black
    Strap pins: Dunlop locking, flush mount, tip of horn (upper pin)
    Case: Hiscox Cases
    Frets: Jescar Enterprises stainless steel
    Nut: Graph Tech Guitar Labs
    Strings: GHS Strings
    Side dots: Luminlay
    Weight: <2.5kg

Regarding the woods, I've selected them based on their appearance and workability, as I always do. This time, I'm aiming for a great contrast: Black neck with bright, white fretboard, brown top with light colored backside, silver matt pickup covers and black hardware. For the top and back we've selected pieces with similar grain that runs to the middle what works great with the body shape I think.

I general, this will be my first guitar with a "normal" maple board (not roasted) and I never had such a dark neck on a guitar (natural color). Also, this is the first guitar with "normal" scale since a while (my other guitars have fanned frets). Fishman is also a first for me. I only played them briefly in a Boden Metal that I had for a few days. I've decided against the single ABM headpiece/clamp since I think it is too bulky. I also do not like the look of a headless neck that looks like straight sawn off. Thus I'm going with single ABM string locks for this one.

Proposed build time is 8 months but I guess it's more like 10 with the current workload of Skervesen.

I've started the build only a few weeks ago but a few days later there were already some progress to marvel at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Wolfos and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Hey there, nice build I love the shoggie models. Just curious, so the hiscox case for this is just a standard one? Nothing special to fit this body style?

Also what is the difference between their headless and SkeveTEN "headstocks"

Thanks!

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the standard shoggie multi scale has a straight locking piece that gets angled off.
    the skerveten has single locking headpieces that look more like a Strandberg

Wolfos likes this.
  4. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

It will be a standard Hiscox case. I will probably use my Strandberg gigbag, if I take the guitar with me.

Shoggie standard headpiece is just cut straight off, not matter the scale and it has a single ABM clamp usually.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The skerveTEN headpiece is more like a Strandberg headpiece, that's right. It is usually paired with single string clamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wolfos, neun Arme and Masoo2 like this.
  5. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

Happy Monday! Fresh build update. :)
    25B0AC05-D23C-4497-9FD0-09784A7135CB.jpeg 4330F3C0-BDBB-4615-8CC2-1D49AA27FBAE.jpeg 04986110-8442-4E04-8F30-332B2B99FBB5.jpeg Bez tytułu.jpg F23E5CD8-DC66-41A0-8CAA-3A97CA4B2C5A.jpeg

6. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

Awesome!

7. Riker_Maneuver

Riker_Maneuver SS.org Regular

8. Wolfos

Wolfos Guitarded

Beautiful!

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

holy crap.

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  10. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

The build should be finished soon.

[​IMG]

11. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

I don't know how you guys do it. ordering customs and having to wait almost a year for it to be delivered. My interests change so fast that I think I wouldn't like the guitar by the time it finally arrived...:shrug:

Rant over... Your guitar looks great I'm sure your ready for it! I love the contrasting wood idea as well!! :yesway::yesway:

12. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

Well, no one said that it is different for "us guys". :D At least for me, it is somewhat as you've described. If possible, I change specs slightly while the build is still not finished, for instance, I changed the pickups at least two times for this one. I also start to think about the next build shortly after I've started the current one. It is also something you learn to deal with; My last build I did not really like the first weeks, but now, about one year later, I really love it. It is certainly possible that a build turns out not to by my thing even after extended play. Then I just sell it and get on to the next build. Music and guitars in particular are a journey of sorts, I guess.:)

Also, the longer you play the more "final" or "definitive" your preferences get, I think. There are some aspects of a guitar where my taste has settled and did not change much for years at this point, like the general sound I'm looking for (the style of music that I like to play has not changed in the last 6 years or so), the kinds of hardware, scale, pickup configuration, style of frets, general body shape and some more specs are pretty much set for me. What is always in flux for me are, for instance, what kinds of woods I like visually, and other purely cosmetic aspects like dark vs light color fretboards and so on. So, after having owned more than 30 guitars I kind of know what I'm looking for and it does not change much over the course of a year waiting. I'd say, it might be not advisable to order a customer guitar for players that have just recently started playing and might not necessarily know what they prefer without having tried many different guitars and styles. But then again, everybody can do what they want with their money.

Defyantly likes this.
  13. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

Fair enough. I guess I will just have to keep trying new things to refine my tastes and preferences as well. Great advice!

14. Bunkatronic

Bunkatronic SS.org Regular

Damn this looks amazing!

15. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

Should be delivered till the end of the month.

[​IMG]

Solodini, KR250, gienek and 8 others like this.
  16. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

Congrats! Very clean craftsmanship! Simple and elegant!:woot:

17. raytsh

raytsh Contributor

Got it last Friday. I will post a NGD/Review later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solodini, KR250, crackout and 3 others like this.
  18. crackout

crackout SS.org Regular

Very nice selection of woods!

19. Defyantly

Defyantly SS.org Regular

Stunning!!! HNGD!!!