Building Tutorials and Links Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by yacker, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Necromagnon

Necromagnon SS.org Regular

Depends on the tool you already have and the exterior help you can have.
    For exemple, for my 1st 8 strings, I already go cisels, plane, rasps, driller, and many common tools like that. I still needed to buy a rooter with good bits (a friend sold me he's old with bits for less than 50$), good sand paper, and the furnitures for the guitar. I've been helped buy a profession carpenter that gave me some wood, and help me resaw, plane, and prepare every wood.
    Still, with this, I got for almost 1400/1500€ for that guitar. And it's without counting the time on it. So don't go for money to build your own, but for the originality, and the pride. :cheers:

2. ThatCanadianGuy

ThatCanadianGuy Where am I? D:

If you can source the right place for woods, and have someone willing to lend you the tools you don't have, you might be able to come out under a grand. If you source your electronics from a large retailer, like AllParts or Carvin, they aren't all that expensive either.

3. Transmissions

Transmissions SS.org Regular

iI just found this, and there is a TON of information on there, videos on setting up necks, a 150 page pdf on basics, lots of videos etc. From what I saw it was all free and for public access. Gonna dig through it more tomorrow.
    Guitarbuilding.org

4. Levi79

Levi79 SS.org Regular

5. Nysaleem

Nysaleem SS.org Regular

I will start things out. Here are 3 books that I have found particularly useful that have also have been recommended by several other forum members:

6. sytraxiplague

sytraxiplague SS.org Regular

Great great suggestion. No blasting at all. I've been recommended this book several times by great professional luthiers.

7. JakeBoop

JakeBoop Chaotic Catastrophe

I want to build an electric guitar, been playing for about 8-9 years and thinking it's probably about time. Since it'd be my first hand-made guitar, obviously I'd like to keep the resources fairly cheap. About how much would it be on an estimate? most likely a 27 scale with nothing fancy or anything.

8. Necromagnon

A few posts above:
    There're even topics on wood suppliers, I guess hardware suppliers and so on... We can't tell you how much it'll cost just because: we don't know what you are willing to build, what equipment you already have, if you needs books, and whatever... And basically: if you're willing to build your own guitar, you'd better be ready to do some work on your own, and it starts with researches on several forums for answers already debated billions of time... :2c:

9. JakeBoop

JakeBoop Chaotic Catastrophe

Thanks a lot, definitely thinking seriously about it now. Rock on :shred:

10. Necromagnon

I canno't push more to go on this. It's freaking addictive and really enjoyable. If you read a few thread, mostly starting thread of some guys around here, you'll see how addicted they got... :lol:

11. se7en_immortal

se7en_immortal Mick The Freak

Wow! This is awesome! I've actually just recently been talking with my wife about possibly building guitars (including one for myself) as a business. I'm very grateful for this thread :) Thanx!

12. blastocaster

blastocaster SS.org Regular

does any body have the equation for proper fret placement on an * string build

13. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

It's based on scale length. Use this calculator with that information:

Stewmac Fret Calc

14. jahosy

jahosy SS.org Regular

So my jointer / thicknesser went kaput over the weekend and needed to flatten some 1-inch thick guitar tops.

I remember seeing someone built a rig with the router as a 'planer'. Are there any alternatives out there?

Thanks in advance :)

15. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

Thicknessing with a router is the worst. But I continue to do it, tears and all..

Edit: body blanks bring the bad times, no problems otherwise.