Building rig from ground up, suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by The Bunker, Aug 30, 2017.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

why not some pedalboard all on one solution's?

Used Pod hd500/x3 live + Seymour duncan powerstage 170 + Line 6 relay g10 = done?

covers amp sounds, effects, power into a cab and plug and play wireless capabilities all for still less than say the helix and especially an ax8

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Metropolis and Zoobiedood like this.
  2. The Bunker

The Bunker SS.org Regular

Man these suggestion are getting more exotic than I anticipated.

I JUST want a head that is known to have a reliable FX loop that is averse to ground loop hum issues when paired with a digital fx unit. Anyone?

steinmetzify likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ah then ignore my suggestion haha

4. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

EVH 5150 effects loop is dead silent for me. I have the 100 watt but Midi on the 50 watt is super cool.

Not much else i have extensive effects loop experiencre with so thats where my advice stops.

5. SnoozyWyrm

SnoozyWyrm SS.org Regular

6. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

No ground loops with the rigs I posted about.

7. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

6505 or 5150 III

8. The Bunker

Cool thanks, a few ppl seem to be suggesting this, I will check it out. By the way which incarnation of the 5150 is considered the better one? there is been so many made by different companies over the years, Fender, Peavey, etc...

They absolutely DESTROY guitar tones!

Hmmm, I distinctly remember my JSX loop having a ground loop hum with the G-System in a 4CM setup a few years back... maybe the culprit in this case was the FX unit then?

Yes this seems to be the consensus, I will investigate.

Out of curiosity any experience with Mesa Mark IV, or high gain Orange amps? Or Diezel or Bogner amps?

steinmetzify likes this.
  9. steinmetzify

Aw dude...if you're gonna go that route, Herbert.

Best loop, best cleans, gnarly crunch and massive gain channels.

Don't fuck around with the VH4 or Hagen...go Herbert if you can and come back and personally thank me later. I'll bow modestly and acknowledge you. The loops are sick and you deserve it.

I will bust out and tell you also that the Orange Dual Dark is one of the best amps I've ever played. The gain is SICK, doesn't much match anything Orange has done before; can totally do modern metal, can totally be apartment friendly thanks to the attenuator etc...it's such a badass amp. Try it, you'll love it.

10. The Bunker

Also is the FX loop on the EVH parallel or serial?

11. The Bunker

Oh ok, do you use the Herbert currently with FX in the loop? No ground loop hum? Can you tell me what your setup is please? Also I am guessing its a serial loop yes?

12. steinmetzify

Dude...it's THREE loops. You can run one parallel, one serial, and have a switchable MIDI serial loop to boot.

Don't use it anymore, but loved it when I had it.

13. The Bunker

Ok, so I had the pleasure of running my Axe FX through a the power amp section of a friend's dual rectifier today and was actually blown away by how good it sounded. It seems I was making this unnecessarily complicated. It appears the sound of an Axe FX through a tube power amp is utterly convincing and that the weak point in my chain was the solid state all along.

So now what suggestions do people have for tube power amps for this purpose?

steinmetzify likes this.
  14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I'm using my axe fx II into a Fryette 2/50/2, I really like it. As far as tube poweramps go, it's on the neutral side, but it's still a colored tube poweramp. I prefer poweramp sims on, with the low res and high res in the amp block turned down (but not off) to wherever sounds right. But my patches generally have the master really low as I don't like the sound of poweramp breakup.

The Fryette Powerstation (and the fabled LXII, when it eventually comes out) are apparently more flat response. But still tube amps.

If you liked the sound of the recto poweramp (was it in vintage mode or modern mode?) you could get a Mesa 2:100 and have exactly that. Or a 2:90 or 2:50, or an old 50/50. In my research before I got my Fryette, they all have the signature Mesa coloration, which can be good or bad, depending on what you're trying to do.

15. The Bunker

Yea, I am actually really starting to lean towards these Mesa power amps. Maybe the 2:90 or 2:100 if I can find one... The only real arguments I've seen against these by the Fractal fans on their forums is that they box you into that Mesa sound and so on and reduce the versatility factor, but honestly I don't really get this mindset, unless you're in a cover band, how much versatility do you really need for a live rig? I mean how many different amp models are these guys playing live? I just want ONE sound, and I want it to be GOOD, I don't care that I can't use the VOX or Fender or the blah blah vintage whatever models at gigs... for me I can still experiment till my ears bleed when I am at home and in the studio and recording and playing the axe fx through a USB cord into my computer. Then I can mix and match preamps, speakers, tubes and whatever else to my heart's content. At the end of the day I am going to be playing metal rhythm guitar 99% of the time when playing live so I see no argument for getting a "transparent" SS power amp so that I can utilise the axe-fx to it's "fullest potential". The axe fx is here to serve me not the other way around ;)

mnemonic likes this.
  16. mnemonic

Agree 100%, I care more about it just sounding good, and I don't really care how 'accurate' it is.

You gotta remember that on the fractal forum, just like all other manufacturer-specific forums, that the product designer is the one true God, and if that product designer says 'use solidstate FRFR' then doing otherwise is blasphemy.

17. The Bunker

Yea, for me the only reason I ever got the Axe FX in the first place was the absolute ease with which it allowed me to record at home without latency and without having to mic anything up. The fact that it can also double as a live guitar rig is a total bonus to me. I never intend for my live rig to be versatile so if I can use my axe fx to its full potential at home in the studio and also have my "live sound" on top of it then I am getting what I paid for and then some.

18. The Bunker

Now to actually track one of these second hand @ 240V in my country!

19. mnemonic

Good luck. I like to oogle mesas on eBay and I have a few alerts set, and most seem to be imported from the U.S. with the 110v transformers.

I've done some research and I don't think I would personally want to mess around with using a 60hz amp on 50hz power.

20. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

not quite as portable but maybe just try and track down a used dual rectifier, likely easier to come by and then doubles as its own rig if you want to leave the ax at home sometime?