Building a pc for both DAW and gaming- advice please

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by thedonal, Dec 26, 2016.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

keeping the wires tidy is always a huge pain. my pc currently looks like a rat's nest. One of these days I'm going to zip tie everything together and make it look cleaner.

2. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I now see why cases with a full length enclosure for the psu are a good thing.

I have to aay though. 20 seconds to boot up and be ready to log in is a wonderful thing.

I'm sure that will increase as I load the thing, but the old pc takes well over five minutes before it'll actually launch an app.

3. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

The good news is. The firewire card works fine with my Liquid Saffire 56 and motherboard.

I have plugins to reinstall and templates to copy across, but it is all good.

Will find out on the weekend how the midi stuff plays with it all.

4. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

Once you're done, can you summarize all your specs? I'm going to be building my first "audio pc" soon as well (after building 3 gaming pc's), and I'm shopping for parts.

Would love to know how yours handles everything.

5. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

The spec is pretty much as per post 9 above.

It is a gaming chassis that will also run DAW. It is plenty powerful to handle a lot of number crunching (for music possibly more than I need- I don't currently run many VST synths- it is all hardware in that dept). One thing I may change in future is to go for 4 pin fans, so The motherboard can scale rpm depending on temperature.

SSDs are very handy- silent and super quick. Ideal if you are using sample based drums- EZDrummer, BFD etc or other disk heavy instruments. Will also take disk latency out of the equation if you track count is heavy.

6. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

The Build is almost complete. Payday has (finally) come around.

1x EVGA GTX 1060 superclocked 6Gb card is now on order- eta tomorrow.

Plus a couple of cables for tidying up the spaghetti a touch.

I'm still umming and erring on going for a couple of 140mm PWM fans for the front intake and I will probably consider an extra set of USB 3 sockets on a PCI-E card at some point.

7. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

And final post on the topic (!).

It DOES run Crysis! Though it would seem only on high, rather than very high settings, otherwise I get epic screen tear (though I've been looking this up and might be able to fix it). I'm still looking for a way to mod it to 1080p as it's not standard.

I'm noticing my CPU cooler's fan isn't spinning up at all yet- even with the Unigine test apps- though the case fans DO spin up. I guess that Arctic cooler's radiator is really doing a good job by itself.