Build: Seven string multiscale Telecaster with some gimmicks

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Eumldeuml, Apr 12, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It functions as a guitar, but can combine with other guitars, keyboard, and a bass to make a mechazord key-guitar-bass instrument?

2. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

As soon as I know that they work like I want them to :)

Well, I'm from bavaria so I have a lot of practice drinking beer, so everything is a bottle opener for me :miniwang:
    And I could definetely smuggle something in my guitar considering that the body is almost completely hollowed out xD

Mr_Mar10 likes this.
  3. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Turns out it's just secretly an acoustic and the pickup routes are really sound holes :D

4. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

You guys all have a great sense of humour :D

5. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Soooo, this the progress I made today :deadhrse:

Sometimes you just have to make a mess
    IMG_20170915_171051.jpg

All the parts I've done so far (both of the body parts are second iteration, the neck is the third one :bump:). The body is now final, the neck and the fretboard I will make again when I'm confident to scrap.. ehh use some walnut
    IMG_20170915_182728.jpg

It's getting somewhere :frantic:
    IMG_20170915_182650.jpg

One of the single bridge saddles (thanks again to LiveOVErdrive :) ) and one EMG 808X (couldn't afford antoher one :hungus:)
    IMG_20170915_183112.jpg

The backside cavities with the strat style input (that was hard to model up in CAD because I had to 'guess' the outline)
    IMG_20170915_183323.jpg

neun Arme, IGC and bostjan like this.
  6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Love it!

Eumldeuml likes this.
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

You could scan it, import to CAD and trace it with a spline function. Then scale it to proportions with some few measures. If you needed the 3D model, Autodesk has a software called ReCap (previously known as ReMake?) that creates 3D models out of photographs: https://remake.autodesk.com/about. The linked page has a video that focus on terrain modeling, but can also be used with small objects and then export the mesh stuff to whatever software or platform you like best... or so they say.

The project is looking good...

8. IGC

IGC OCDG

Nice work, is that a vacuum table?

9. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

I find importing and exporting between Autodesk products to be spotty at best. Using the spline tool and patch menus and such, with fusion may be your best bet

odibrom likes this.
  10. odibrom

odibrom .

I banged my head on a wall so many times when importing AutoCAD models into 3DSmax. The models were Geo-referenced so they had coordinates by 1000s and 10000s and Max doesn't deal well with such values, the meshes were all banged up badly and I lost hours rebuilding them. I them discovered that if I moved my AutoCAD model to near the world coordinates origin, the import to Max was smooth as a baby skin, so I see what you mean. Disclaimer, I'm yet to test the ReCap/ReMake software, was just pointing it out. The technology is out there, let's use it.

11. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

That's what I tried but I wanted kind of a seamless fit (yes, I'm a perfectionist) and therefore it is still quite hard since you have to be accurate down to like 0.2 mm (10 thou).
    But anyway, thank you very much for your compliment! Yestrerday I was really proud of myself and now you guys make it even better :woohoo:

Yes it is! But I'm not completely happy with this workholding since it could move on you if you're not using alignment pins (which I had to do due to double sided machinig). I'd rather have a spoil board where I can just drill the alignment holes in (and not 'search' for them in machine coordinates) and then clamp it down. This is waaaaay less preparing time and also your work won't move at all.

And for all people wanting to work with Autodesk Fusion: WORK WITH COMPONENTS! You can save yourself so much hassle if you don't start modeling in 'general' component. When you do that your timeline and your model tree will be a complete chaos and it'll mess a lot with your parametric chains (if you use CAD modeling of some kind, you might understand what I mean)

LiveOVErdrive, IGC and odibrom like this.
  12. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

Qft. I have mine split into body, neck, fretboard. Makes it way easier to work with

LiveOVErdrive and Eumldeuml like this.
  13. IGC

IGC OCDG

Neato! Spoil board sounds like a good idea. Easy in and easy out. No resetting your orgin :yesway:

14. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

TODAY IS A GREAT DAY!!!

I've managed to make a biiiiig step forward... The last days were much manual work (no CNC :frantic: ) but I got something done and I'm very proud of it :woohoo:
    And I'll also 'reveal' one of my two secret gadgets :D

But first, let me take a self... ehm post some pictures.

Manual routing (happens to the best of us) :lame:
    IMG_20170928_131030.jpg

Is this also called routing? I have no idea
    IMG_20170929_151354.jpg

And nooooow for the chamber of secrets:

IMG_20170929_152141.jpg
    Can you guess what it does? I'll also upload some videos on my instagram and then I'll link them here :)

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I hope you put a smoke machine in your guitar, that'd be awesome.

16. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

That is really tight and pretty work. But I've got no idea what's going on there. Some kind of forced air. Looks like a water cooling setup.

17. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

Thank you very much! :)
    But I wonder what there is to cool in a guitar (well, my guitar does indeed have some parts that get quite warm but they don't require active cooling... I hope)

YOU WIN! That's it, my guitar will indeed get a smoke machine! :D :rolleyes:

Here you can watch some videos I took of the contraption (and you can go and stalk the rest of my pictures if you're inclined to do so :coffee:):
    https://www.instagram.com/hipstaboi_94/
    The smoke is intended to come out the sides of the pickguard. For that I left about 8mm (= a little more than 1/4") underneath the pickguard and this cavity extends and bevels up at the sides of the pickguard.

I'm not 100% happy with the smoke output since it's only a puny PC fan and they aren't made to really build up pressure, they are just moving air. But I'm afraid I don't have enough space to put in a bigger fan and also I don't really know which type of fan would be suited best (radial, axial or some other type).
    But anyways I really like the progress on this matter :cheers:

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

now you just need a flamethrower attachment on the headstock :p

19. Eumldeuml

Eumldeuml SS.org Regular

... This is indeed something I wanted to do, but not on this guitar (I'm running out of space lol)
    But a friend of mine has a DIY kit for bass, might do that there. This will be heavily inspired by Colin Furze if anyone knows this guy from youtube :D

20. KnightBrolaire

I was just thinking it'd be a cool mash up of stuff that WASP/KISS have done with their guitars